overall

RATINGS: 1489   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
An American Double IPA, packed with over 120 IBU!

palumbo (1) - - APR 13, 2013 does not count
Excellent character, individuality, amazing balance and drinkability for all of those hops. A good Ale makes it’s own friends and The Alchemist doesn’t need to spend much on marketing. I notice the picture on this site shows the Heady Topper label on a bottle. I was not aware that they offered this in bottles as the brewer is insistent that in order to enjoy the full bloom of the hop aromatics this ale should be drank right out of the can.

berniecarbo (148) - Holliston, Massachusetts, USA - APR 12, 2013
UPDATED: JUL 13, 2013 A friend brought me a can back from a VT. trip. Best beer I ever had, OMG, just really good, strong hop but not overpowering. Only gave it a 3 on apperance due to average coloring and sediment floating around, don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t change a thing

dbarnold (1127) - Bethesda, Maryland, USA - APR 11, 2013
kick ass, perhaps the east coast answer to pliny the elder. It’s super hoppy, yet balanced and not overly strong. 8% is plenty, we don’t need 12% with our hops! Lots of citrus, pine, resin all over, and comes in a big can. what’s not to love?

spence3208 (34) - Maine, USA - APR 11, 2013
WOW!! had a friend give this to me. changed my palate forever!! Best IPA ive had. smells of citrus hops, orange color with medium head, great bitter ipa taste while also being balanced. looks like im making a road trip!!

HoppyAlesToYou (186) - Saint John, Indiana, USA - APR 9, 2013
Caramel, floral, spruce, herbs, and enough resin that if I closed my eyes, I could confuse it for the hop’s mostly illegal cousin. The nose on this is otherworldly, I think I sprained my olfactory glands. It poured a murky golden tan, and the taste fit the aroma but was more subdued and bitter. A fine DIPA that is a must try for the aroma if you ever have an opportunity.

BSchnab (117) - Florida, USA - APR 5, 2013
Aroma was a citrus grapefruit. Appearance was a little hazy. This beer had a lot of hop. This beer was in your face and delivered exactly what you expect out of this excellent beer.

kimjongill (207) - - APR 3, 2013
Smells of grapefruit and pine. Very aromatic. Drank most from can as per directions, but a 5 oz pour into a snifter revealed a hazy beer without much in the looks department. I was, at first, convinced the drink from can direction was a ploy to keep people from looking at the beer, but further taste comparison made me feel like the can was really quite superior. Taste-wise, the beer was a bit unbalanced in the direction of bitterness over maltiness, but a complete lack of lingering bitterness on the palate made me appreciate the overly hoppy character, and this is the only beer I’ve yet to see do that right. Full marks, except for appearance, which was abysmal.

olr1984 (1530) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - APR 3, 2013
UPDATED: SEP 21, 2013 16oz can thanks to toastedpuppy. Pours a hazy orange with a white head. Pineapple pine aroma. Grapefruit and big orange and citrus hop taste. Very enjoyable.

mathieuc (4000) - Québec, Quebec, CANADA - APR 3, 2013
Bonused by nate321 in a recent trade (read: received it today), thanks a lot man!! This isn’t my first time with Heady but it is my first time rating it, let’s dissect this. Pours clear golden with only the slightest haze and almost no head. Smell is heavenly, pine and grapefuits loaded. It does smell even more of pine when sniffing from the can, marvelous! Taste is medium bitter with a medium sweetness coming from the supportive malt backbone. Flavors remind again of pine mostly, covering a grapefruity canva. Overall a marvelous double IPA, one that I should someday go drink straight from the source!

D_No (1) - Vermont, USA - APR 3, 2013 does not count
I’d walk across the blazing Sahara desert for a good IPA. This IPA strikes a wonderful balance...not too sweet, not too dry, well carbonated. The one aspect of balance that stands out is the balance between nose and palate. This beer is magnificently hopped with a perfect balance between wet and dry, with aromatic hints of pine and grapefruit. As much as I used to taunt my wine loving friends (catcalls of "Tannic, but fruity, with essence of oak" were my typical sophomoric jeer...), I grudgingly admire their descriptive nomenclature. Now, I simply have to convert them to beer.