overall

RATINGS: 128   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 222   ABV: 7.4%
This American-Style IPA has a mountain of Amarillo hops, giving it aggressive citrus aroma and bitterness on a firm bed of malt.

MattyKakes' rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MattyKakes (117) - Virginia, USA - MAR 7, 2014
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2014 While on my visit to Minnesota and Wisconsin, my in-laws drove my wife and I to Madison WI to visit grandpa Harry. We stopped off at a Piggly Wiggly. .. and their beer selection was stellar. I had to get something local, so I chose this IPA. It?s delicious. Pours a copper color, with a nice citrus melon scent. It’s also sweet with resin tones, yet dry and crisp at the end. Very good. Cheer!

ryanscourt (1477) - Latrobe, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 25, 2017
Pretty solid midwest style ipa. A little more fresh hop flavor than most to suppliment caramel hop flavor. Amarillo hopes are normally better with pale malt but due well here.

muzzlehatch (4959) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 20, 2017
12 ounce bottle from Badger Spirits in Beloit, WI, served not much above fridge temp from a pint glass. Lightly hazy dark, bright amber body with a small-to-moderate lasting white head and a bit of lacing...I’m not necessarily a huge fan of the hop, but in this case the woody-humus character is equaled in the nose by a bright, overripe citrus note (grapefruit, maybe a bit of lime) and just a touch of smokiness that works quite well...it’s a bit musty and yeasty in the body, just a bit more than I want in a standard IPA, but the fruity-bitter balance is solid and there’s a pretty nice dry, lightly peppery bitter finish...all in all drinkable enough if no competition for the best available to me. Had a few poor samples from this brewery last summer and fall but I’m pleased to say that my recent tastings have been much better.

Scipio (1085) - Palatine, Illinois, USA - MAR 7, 2017
Pours a clear, dark golden in color with a medium white head that lasts a pretty long time. An extremely potent amount of citrus is found in the aroma. Lots of grapefruit and orange, heavy pineapple, and mild pine, light floral hops. I was expecting and hoping for a lot more bitterness in this one. In reality, its pretty tame. Big pine and resin in here, with a good amount of caramel, and some orange. It has a milder orange aftertaste. This one is medium in body, with a slightly sticky texture, and has average carbonation. After beginning with plenty of initial promise in the aroma, I find this ends as your run of the mill IPA.

1pintatatime (162) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 14, 2017
Relatively thin white head poured from a bottle. Relatively mild aroma of candy and hops. I’d almost call this malt-forward with a definite hop presence but it’s no means overwhelming. It has a nice, gently bitter finish but it’s far away from hop bomb territory. Very good balance. Quite drinkable.

edwardbass (840) - Illinois, USA - NOV 6, 2015
This is nearly a DIPA with it’s fairly heavy body and too-obvious ABV. Super-murky medium-dark copper color with a pretty big white head. Aroma to my fairly stuffy nose is booze. Taste is citrus rind, some pine resin and a pretty serious malt background. The ABV being so obvious is too much for my taste. It’s definitely good, but not a fave.

TattooJack (518) - Illinois, USA - OCT 15, 2015
Poured from the 6 pack of bottles cloudy orange with a 2 finger white collar, this is very easy drinking with some smooth hops and some bitter, nice 7+ alcohol, was gone fast.

thegreenrooster (4406) - St.louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 26, 2015
Pour is a cloudy orange with a huge white head. Aroma is a nice fresh pine hops with some sweet caramel malt sweetness. I can already see where this one is going. Flavor is not as malt I as I was thinking it would be. Still Hops are here with a very minor presence. More sweet malt is felt after the swallow. I think I am officially IPA burnt out. I can barley get a hop presence from the recent beers I’ve had. Way more malt is showing up in these beers.

shigadeyo (3740) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 9, 2015
Dried orange peel, apricot and cooked apples, leather; deep amber brown color; toasted malts, pine and citrus, moderate bitterness, leather, grapefruit, great showcase of reasonable amount of amarillo hops; brown sugar and caramel malts; medium full body, smooth and chewy; really good and very enjoyable to drink.

ebone1988 (1932) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - AUG 8, 2015
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2015 Sample at Great Taste of the Midwest. Aroma is pine, tropical fruit, nice. Appearance is, golden amber. Taste is light, but nice bitter pine, some fruit. Mouthfeel is good, light but good carbonation. Overall, good work.

Travlr (24930) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - AUG 5, 2015
Draft at the source. Clear golden color. Aroma of orange peel. Taste is fruity citrus. Tasty.