overall
Brewed by Ale Asylum
Style: Stout
Madison, Wisconsin USA

RATINGS: 118   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Copious amounts of dark and sweet malt give our stout aromas of coffee and a rich mouthfeel with a dry finish.

timrappelton (11) - - APR 30, 2013
Had this on tap at Stolp’s Stein Haus in La Crosse WI. Really nice stout had some interesting (I don’t want to say licorice but I can’t think of a better word) flavors that I thought were fairly unique to this beer.

jpscom11 (4) - - APR 7, 2014 does not count
Quite possibly the best stout I’ve had. Not a lot of experience with stouts but the coffee flavor is smooth and subtle oatmeal taste. Yum

drpimento (3634) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 25, 2014
Excellent! Appearance is a thick velvety tan head that lasts forever; lots of lace and an opaque brown black color. Aroma at first is just dry dark roasted coffee and then the mall to comes on and I pick up more of vanilla and Cocoa and toffee. Flavor is like aroma; carbonic Tang is upfront but toned down there's a bit of sweetness but also tonedown; lovely beer. Body is perfect. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Jacksuhn (11) - - MAR 13, 2012
Slick. Slightly sweet. Nutty earthy aromas. Roast notes are low but this beer is just wonderful.

triguy84 (235) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 23, 2012
Almost black with a thick tan head. Up front chocolate & light coffee aroma. Flavor is chocolate, sweet. Medium-heavy body, silky, light hop bitterness. A very well made sweet stout.

parkerj (52) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JAN 28, 2014
This beer turned me on to stouts (now a favorite style of mine), and I’m happy to say that my opinion hasn’t changed at all. Great aroma (I’ve always detected a lot more coffee notes than I’d expect for a beer brewed with 0 coffee). Very little light gets through the dark, dark brown brew. If I had one critique, it would be that the mouthfeel is a *tiny* bit thin now that I’ve had a lot of other stouts.

orville (160) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 30, 2007
This is their best beer by far, dark, bitter and smooth overall. Some good flavor notes of light chocolate and coffee.

keoki182 (305) - West Bend, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 20, 2008
Far and away the best of the 11 AA beers sampled at the brewpub. Black, rich, and decadent describe this oatmeal stout to a T. Silky smooth mouthfeel, roasted cocoa, some caramel. I loved it.

duchowbob (9) - Windsor, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 5, 2013 does not count
Big is an understatement! This is Black beauty! Rich Dark Brown...almost Black/Opaque pour with semi dry to curiously sweet malt character. Very Roasty with burnt edges and enjoyable flavors of chocolate, Coffee/Toffee elements. Thank you...may I have another!

jmagnus87 (2912) - Rockford, Illinois, USA - JAN 27, 2013
This is a great big stout. Reminds me of a double chocolate chunk oatmeal cookie. I can’t wait to head back there and drink this one again.