overall
RATINGS: 965   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Anvil ESB is our interpretation of a traditional British-style pub ale. Deep amber in color, a toasty character from British malts and a touch of kettle caramelization blend seamlessly with a mild English hop profile. Its delicate balance of flavors will keep you coming back pint after pint, making it a complex creation we’re proud to call our flagship beer.

beeryum (652) - Norcross, Georgia, USA - FEB 10, 2006
Draft at Alesmith, early Dec 05. Ambery red. Toasty malt aroma, rich but not overpowering. Toasty malt flavors, with some moderate earthy-seeming hop notes. Mild hop bitterness to finish. Smooth, but not watery - which usually turns me off of other ESBs. Well done for an ESB, but not my style.

Storm (2684) - Amager, DENMARK - FEB 1, 2006
65 cl bottle. Amber colour with a little weak head. Great aroma of hops, caramel, toffee and some sweetness. Very tasty flavour of caramel, hops and a little bitter aftertaste, very smooth and nice.

Papsoe (25059) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - JAN 17, 2006
(Bottle 65 cl) Beautiful dark amber with a small, off-white head. Fat, flowery and slightly perfumy aroma hops in the nose. Body is dominated by sweetish caramel and toffee. Quite light and very drinkable with a faint, dry, bitter whiff from the aroma hops. Doesn’t at all remind me of a British-style ESB, more like a watered-down American Barleywine. And that’s not a bad thing.... 160106

twcguy (32) - USA - JAN 14, 2006
My first Alesmith offering. Citrus smell and taste but the bitterness is well balanced by a sweet malt flavor.

Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JAN 11, 2006
22oz bottle thanks to Fly. Reddish copper color, floral hop nose, very smooth going down with a juicy citrus hop taste that is not over the top, which is not what I had expected. Floral bitter finish.

chargerfanjess (129) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 10, 2006
Bright copper color, sparkling clarity, and good foam retention just like it says. White lacy head subdued malt aroma. What you taste it it has a big malt for and ESB. Much more full malty than a usual ESB. I liked it may be more than a typical ESB Good use of bitter hops. An excellente brewski

JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - JAN 9, 2006
Clear, dark copper color with smallish fluffy off white head. Aroma has caramel, cherry, hints of vanilla, with a subtle, dry oakyness, not much detectable hop aroma. Flavor is malty, carmelly, mildly oxidized tasting, touch of hop flavor, with a firm but balanced bitterness. A bit too carbonated for the style.

CMUBEERMAN (457) - - JAN 8, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2006 This is definitely the best ESB I’ve ever had. It is so smooth and easy to drink. The flavor is very subtle and very good.

allfreej (556) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - JAN 6, 2006
On tap as the "hpuse" ESB at the Liar’s Club in SAn Diego. A fine ESB, but I preferred their Red ale brewed for the bar.

Zeswaft (1775) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 4, 2006
I’ve never really had an ESB before and I’ll assume that this is a one of the best of the style. However, I’m not that impressed. It’s all well blended together but it has a stale bitterness that takes me nowhere.