overall
RATINGS: 1205   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 17   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Bottle conditioned.
Grand Cru is a dark chestnut-colored Belgian-style Ale with vibrant fermentation aromas of fruity esters and spicy phenols. A sweet caramel malt, raisin, and plum-like character combines with the complex fermentation profile of our Belgian yeast strain and hints of bittersweet chocolate in the finish. Its full body and velvety mouthfeel make for a slow and satisfying drinking experience. Grand Cru is meant to be savored and will age nicely.

TAR (2802) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - DEC 15, 2001
UPDATED: JUN 18, 2005 2000 bottling: Very alcoholic aroma with some Belgian yeast, apple, vanilla and wood? Little carbo with loads of crystal malt and semi-sticky head. Finish is vinously sour. I also noticed some appley texture in the middle. This is the definition of a diverse and complex beer. Problem is, how will I ever get through this huge bottle sober? Oh well, I know it will be worth it. Bottle conditioned with a capped cork under the cap that must be removed with a cork opener. My face is on fire, oh wait, that is just the alcohol slapping me silly. This is a world class ale from a very small, hard to find brewery. Only if it was available elsewhere than S. Cal.

Gusler (2652) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 30, 2001
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2003 If I would have known it was going to take me more than a year to restock this magnificent beer, I would have never drunk my last bottle. From what I can ascertain from the local package store is that there seems to be a labeling problem that is delaying its shipment to Arizona, and I’m mad a hell and I’m not going to take it anymore, guess I will just order a case via the internet and be damned the expense.

The pour a deep lucent brown with ruby highlights, the head behemothic in size, spumescent in texture and a winsome light tan color, the lace a velum like sheet to conceal the glass. The nose has a deep malt walnut like sweet aroma, rich and full, fresh a treat for the eye, nose and palate. Start is creamy rich and sweet, top is moderate to full in feel and the finish spiny in its acidity, vinous, hop spicy and desert bone dry aftertaste, a real “Hoot in my books.