overall
RATINGS: 1197   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 17   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Bottle conditioned.
Grand Cru is a dark chestnut-colored Belgian-style Ale with vibrant fermentation aromas of fruity esters and spicy phenols. A sweet caramel malt, raisin, and plum-like character combines with the complex fermentation profile of our Belgian yeast strain and hints of bittersweet chocolate in the finish. Its full body and velvety mouthfeel make for a slow and satisfying drinking experience. Grand Cru is meant to be savored and will age nicely.

721Lance (82) - Oceanside Ca, California, USA - MAR 26, 2015
Best gran cru poured reddish brown, notes of caramel and yeast dough, rich dark fruits, and some very little wine Cabernet notes. Flavor is perfect balance of richness and dryness. Excellent mouthfeel with a finish if complex Belgian characteristics! Perfect.

PugUglyBrewer (742) - - MAY 16, 2017
Dark and hazy garnet color with a creamy head of tan foam. Luxuriant plum, fig, caramel, and sweet bread embrace the senses. A sweet and slightly spiced finish make this a very pleasant Belgian inspired strong ale.

Sven (229) - Lancaster, California, USA - NOV 7, 2004
Bottle. 2000 Vintage. Drank 11/2004
Okay, I’ve had this beer before a few times and never got around to rating it. All of the times I’ve had it before though the vintage was recent to the year I was drinking it, but then... I found the holy grail. It’s the end of 2004 when I am writing this and I am drinking a 2000 that I found at this ghetto liqour store, discounted to boot. There is little more to say other than this is perfect in every way. Soft on the palate with a gentle carbonation creating an ever-present off-white head. Subtle malty aroma with tons of fruit. Banana, Mandarin and dates, dough and cinnamon to boot. Flavor of all of the above. Absolutely sublime.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - MAR 15, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2008 Pours a clear dark amber, thick nectar with no droplettes. Like pouring jello from a bowl. Sweet malty nose. Big, slightly sweet fruit w/ some caramel, leather, and slight woodsy tobacco. Long finish w/ alcohol well hidden. Good balance. Overall: another fantastic brew. Ale Smith rocks.

thebeertourist (5189) - Oslo, NORWAY - MAR 24, 2006
The bottle certainly looks great- I was looking for an excuse to open this one. It pours hazy reddish dark amber. Not much foam, looking sirupy. Very complex aromas, fruitiness is prominent, but there is a certain sourness also combined with chocolate. Flavours are filled with fruity chocolate, sweet, but still kept in check, still ending semi-dry but with a long dry aftertaste. Full-bodied, smooth and sirupy. A wonderfully complex beer that is also well-balanced.I wish I had left the beer for maturing a little longer- it might well develop into a 5’er.

koztwara (1) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 10, 2007 does not count
Coffee and chocolate and mmm......I had heard good things about alesmith so I was excited to discover that my favorite ’walk to’ bar served it. Didn’t realize the alc. % ’till I had finished...Had an inspiring moonlight stroll home.

ALIBALI (2316) - Kiel, GERMANY - AUG 22, 2017
Wollüstig candierter Strong Ale Hotty mit dem fetten PERFECT 🚀 BERRYBELGIANYEAST SHOWDOWN!!! HARD WORKING AMERICAN😉✨👽!!! 0,75l Buddel from DEMOLEN Online Shop.

morebier4me (140) - New York, USA - SEP 14, 2002
..................................................

Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 6, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2004 Brewtopia 2004: Same score, well -0.1, I would say that this was hazy, not cloudy. RateBeer Summer 2003: 2000 vintage: Cloudy orange color, bready/cake, gingerbread, molasses, plum, vanilla, aroma with a bit of spice. Very smooth for the ABV, ends sweet. A masterpiece. I want a full bottle

hotstuff (5208) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 14, 2005
Bottle. We have a winner here IMO! Have got to get more of this one for sure! Poured a large light tan head that was mostly lasting, good lacing, fine-large sized bubbles, carbonated, transparent, yeasty, and a reddish brown hue. Malty, sweet, spicy and alcohol aroma. Nicely done. Sweet, lightly bitter, malty, caramel, spicy, and vinuous flavor. Very nicely done. Absolutely delicious. Give me more, more, more! Mouthfeel was tingly with a burning sensation. Medium body. Very quaffable. Mighty tasty. Definitely have to get more of this. Matt???