overall
RATINGS: 2374   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.08/5   IBU: 73   EST. CALORIES: 218   ABV: 7.25%
It’s Pretty Awesome. A San Diego classic, AleSmith IPA showcases the versatility of American hops. Aromas of grapefruit and tangerine lead into an abundance of fresh pine and tropical fruit notes followed by a crisp, resinous bitterness. The complex hop profile is supported by a firm malt presence to create an incredibly flavorful and well-balanced IPA.

crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - MAY 10, 2007
Very clear copper pour, big white head from the yeast. Aroma is big on citrus and floral, with a touch of peach and just smells dry-hopped. Flavor is citrus hops all the way and very leafy and fresh from being dry-hopped it’s like opening a bag of hops. Sweet caramel malts to balance it out. Very creamy mouthfeel almost like drinking it on cask with low carbonation and just an extremely soft and easy mouthfeel, I drank the whole bottle by myself in like 15 minutes. Good beer.

badlizard (5533) - Berkeley, California, USA - MAY 9, 2007
On tap at Stone. Good storng hoppy, citrus, and pine aroma. Good crisp taste with decent bitterness. I damn good IPA!

duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 7, 2007
Bottle. A hoppy IPA. Bitter and dry and not as aggressively hoppy a othe USIPA’s. This has some grapefruit, pine and lychee notes, leafy hop flavours. Yes it was hoppy, but i didn’t think it was over the top. very nice.

hopson (635) - Williamsville, New York, USA - MAY 7, 2007
Bottle- thanks to Sickboy282. Awesome. The hype is huge on this one, but beer deserves the praise. Amber/orange in appearence, great head retention. Smells of pnws, but offers much more than many in the style. Very piney. The malt backbone is also great, and its complexity is what distinguishes this beer from many other west coast ipas. Wish I had more of these.

AllAboutStout (605) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAY 5, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 7, 2007 I’ve had my eye on this one for awhile and finally decided to give it a go. Pours a golden amber with a nice quarter inch head. The frothiness sticks around and leaves plenty of lacing as you drink. Smell isn’t really strong, but I get plenty of hops in the nose. The taste is simply amazing. This is a very well rounded IPA. Plenty of hops, but balanced perfectly by the malt and alcohol. This is one of the best I’ve had. I would love to drink this on a regular basis. Words can’t really explain how well this is melded together and how smooth of a IPA it is. If you have access to this beer, definitely pick it up. I know I’ll be frequenting this beer often.

churchill00 (154) - Austin, Texas, USA - MAY 1, 2007
I’ve got to say, this is really worth the effort to track down, especially if it’s not distributed to your state. Hazy pour with nice amounts of billowy head. Like many IPA’s the piney scent is there, but not overpowering. Before I drank this I downed a NXNW Kodiak IPA, which I had aged for little over a month, and the piney scent of that was much stronger. The AleSmith was a great combination of grapefruit, nectarine, orange cream, and malty hop. The finish isn’t long enough when it comes to something as satisfying in the mouth as this. Didn’t pick up too much Vanilla--like the label says, but it was no biggie--this was truly great. Now one of my favorites.

carl4beer (522) - Fairfax Station, Virginia, USA - MAY 1, 2007
pours copper with a nice off white head. aroma of pine and grapefruit. mouthful is a smooth hoppy pine and citrus with a great malty backbone, but the hops dominate. very nice... too bad it is not distributed to VA.

bmartin08 (12) - Massachusetts, USA - APR 30, 2007
Bottle: One of the finest beer to touch these lips. Very well balanced for me and extremely easy to drink. Pours a nice orange haze with a creamy white head. Great beer, especially early. Can’t say enough good things about this brew.

jason (1834) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 26, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2015 Bottle. Thanks to BockeyHorsey and Batkins for sending this to me. Pours a deep golden body with nice head. Aroma is very hoppy with a nice earthy feel. Taste has a slight syrupy citrus feel, hoppy. Smooth and ends in a nice bite. Well balanced IPA. Rerate, taste is very balanced with an almost perfect mouth feel. I enjoy how the citrus and grapefruit seem to linger later on in the palate.

jmikolich (1477) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - APR 21, 2007
22oz bottle shared with DeuceDeuceOU, deliciously dark IPA, much heavier in the "dark" bitterness than a 2hrted ale, Piney and citrusey, a good combo in my book,not going for balance they sure hit the mark with this one.