overall
RATINGS: 2935   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29/5   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Bottle conditioned.
Speedway Stout’s ominous, pitch-black appearance has become a hallmark of this modern-day classic. Chocolate and roasted malts dominate the flavor, supported by notes of dark fruit, toffee, and caramel. A healthy dose of locally-roasted coffee from Ryan Bros. Coffee, Inc. added to each batch brings out the beer’s dark chocolate flavors and enhances its drinkability. Despite its intensity, Speedway Stout’s fine carbonation and creamy mouthfeel make it very smooth and surprisingly easy to drink. This beer ages very well and will continue to mature for many years to come.

Aesir (130) - Tustin, California, USA - JUL 21, 2002
When I bought this fine beverage, the store clerk told me, 'That stuff is great, it'll get you ****ed up in no time!!!!!!' So I knew it had to be quality. Pours thick with a dark creamy head. I like the initial flavor the best. Strong toasty coffee flavor, then it fades and you begin to realize that this is a 12% beer.

Radek Kliber (7487) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - JUL 21, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2003 Hahaha! Some of my ratebeer.com friends worried that I would ruin theirs favorite beer rating. I rated honestly and…
Not bad, not bad guys! Coffee-fruity with bubble gum. Look of Turkish black coffee (classic look for imperials). Man this one was HUGE. Wow ... thanks guys for sharing with me.

papajohn (1340) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - JUL 18, 2002
Congratulations to Skip and Tod for yet another world class AleSmith Brew!!! Dark as coal, frothy mocha head, HUGE coffee flavor with a long bitter chocolate/ coffee aftertaste. Well Done!!! Move over Stone, there's a new STOUT in town!

Sickboy282 (1116) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 17, 2002
UPDATED: APR 26, 2004 This is a great great beer. I found 2 bottles left at a local liqour store, so I thought I'd try seeing as though it's creeping up on the arrogant bastard IMperial stout. Now... since hey_kevin did a great job describing the brew, I will compare this and arrogant bastard. The first ntable comment is the price. This bottle was 9.99 compared to arrogant bastard which was about 4 dollars, but is about 3/4 the size of this guy. The alcohol content is another thing. THis has 12% alc. compared to arrogants 9.65 whatever it is. Now comes to taste. Arrogant bastards Imp. stout is smooth as anything which a nice chocalaty finish, not so much a coffee flavor. This beer here has coffee beans added during conditioning, so you bet there is gonna be some nice chocolaty flavor. Now to decide which is better.... both are damn fine beers. I still have a few bottles of aroogant bastard, and I will rerate if neccessary, but for the time being, these 2 brews will be on the top of my list. PS- this beer isn't the darkest or thickest pouring, but it sure tastes that way)

heykevin (1287) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - JUL 14, 2002
Oh god, is this ever an experience. The 750 was divided into 2 1/2 duvel tulips, each poured after the previous was consumed. Pours black as the ace of spades. Just the right level of carbonation, enough to brighten and sharpen the flavors, but not so much that it makes a carbonic/dry ice burn. Strong alcohol in the aroma, as well as roasted grain and coffee early on and hops and roasted red peppers later. The first glass I had was poured at about 45 degrees, at this temp it seemed a little disjointed, roasty and alcoholic, with coffee in the background, but just 10 minutes later and a few degrees warmer the coffee comes up, way up. I can feel the alcohol in this first glass. In the second glass, the aroma of alcohol is more prominent, yet every sip is luxurious. And the bitter end, the final half duvel tulip is utter freakin' beer-vana. I was literally groaning with pleasure after each of the final sips. An amazing drinking experience. My only slight criticism is that at times it shows a little too much alcohol, but I think one would be naive to expect a beer that is 12% alcohol not not show a little alcohol. It would be my wet dream to someday sample this beer on handpump. Real ale festival guys?

Tyskie99 (1) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUL 5, 2002 does not count
Big aroma with streams of alcohol up front then a nice complex maltiness comes thru with good amounts of roast and coffee as well. Big malt flavor with chocolate standing out and some currant-like flavor as well. Perfect balance of malt/roast/hops. Slick on the tongue. Well brewed.

Ernest (7863) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 3, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 28, 2013 Bottle (2013 vintage). Head is initially small, frothy, brown, mostly lasting. Body is black (almost opaque, flashlight tested). Aroma is moderately to heavily malty (chocolate milk, Oreo cookie, roasted grain, coffee), with notes of vanilla and alcohol. Flavor is heavily sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, moderately bitter. Full body, syrupy texture, lively carbonation, moderately to heavily alcoholic. Ah, how far Alesmith has fallen...this used to be their only remaining good beer once Skip left, and now this too has turned into utter mediocrity. So very sad. Nose is pleasant enough, but mostly chocolate syrup / chocolate milk mixed with coffee...very little nuance or depth. And the mouth experience is quite syrupy sweet now with not enough to balance. I think I’d even have trouble drinking 12oz of this stuff now.

herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - JUL 3, 2002
I'm going with Gusler on this one. This is one BIG world class stout. From opening the bottle and the huge complex coffee/chocolate aroma wafting out. Pour is everything you want, the smell and sight of that black brew forming a thick head just gets you jumping to try it. First taste is overwhelming with flavor. The alcohol is very nicely hidden in my opinion.Very complex and I will not try to put it into words just get yourself a bottle if you like imperial stouts and see how the standards have just been raised.

omhper (25833) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - JUN 30, 2002
Extremely black, intransparent, rich creamy brown head. Big aroma of licorice and coffee. Full bodied is a vast understatement. Sweet, roasty and really salty, thick mouthfeel, some molasses.
Finishes bitter and salty. Probably would gain from spending some time in the cellar, but who can wait? Thanks Gusler!

Volgon (2761) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 15, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2004 2002 Edition, 25OZ bottle: Pours with a thick creamy head on a black body. Coffee/chocolate aroma, silky smooth mouthfeel, the taste is rich, complex and numbs the mouth, as it sticks to it. Huge aftertaste, there's no way that I'm rating any more beers today. I'd also say there is a fair level of caffeine in this. A huge stout that doesn't take any prisoners. A million thanks to Gusler!