overall
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 1452   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05/5   IBU: 26   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
This Scottish-inspired deep mahogany-colored ale showcases a rich, malty flavor profile of caramel and toffee offset by hints of roast and subtle smoke. The complex malty sweetness includes notes of dark fruit balanced by a subdued hop bitterness. Wee Heavy is incredibly nuanced and in a class of its own in terms of balance and sophistication. It ages very well and will keep improving for years to come.

shigadeyo (3739) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 9, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 13, 2006 Tasted with OhioGuzzler... Dark brown, pretty clear. No head. Smells a lot like bourbon from a charred oak barrel. Sweet malt, subtle roastiness, and some alcohol bite. No smoke flavor or other complexities. This might be one that needs more time in the bottle. 750 mL bottle, $12.99 from the River’s Bend.

SSstout (5) - Virginia, USA - AUG 6, 2006 does not count
This is a very distinctive and complex beer. Pours a transparent dark chestnut color. The aroma makes you imagine you are in the Highlands of Scotland. The smokey, sweet flavor is something like Scotch whiskey and molassas. I only wish it was distributed further so I could get my hands on it more often.

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 31, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2008 Cask During RBSG vintage version, the smoothest silkiest wee heavy ever and holy shit this beer is amazing and as such, I can’t give it a higher rating, but it cements this 5 for me because this version made me want to have it like this every day, it was incredible and is as such incredible. A much needed rerate. I’ve tried to do so a few times but haven’t managed. Pours dark brown amber with a 1 finger head. The nose is incredible malty sweet, and robust. Taste is sweet malty and robust, it is really a pretty damn amazing beer, this is beer that really got me going and I still like it. And I’m out it tonight. I like it still is it a 5? Its damn close if anything. This is my favorite beer, I love everything about it, it is unique, extremely malty, with rich sweet flavor. This beer is perfect for all seasons, like other fantastic beers from Alesmith, the alcohol taste is hidden behind the complex and enticing flavors. I can’t say a single bad thing about this liquid art form, thanks Alesmith.

SRAorion (19) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JUL 28, 2006
Nice full aroma with smoked malts & nuts yeast and coffee. Pours a dark amber /brown with a small head lasts nicely. Big flavor rich creamy mouth feel coffee malty hoppy bitterness begining moves into yeasty sourness alcohol taste lingers nicely you can feel it slide down.

Theis (15152) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - JUL 24, 2006
Bottle tasted at ølbaren - thanks to Martin. Brown/red - white head. Sweet very malty, ryebread, roasted, caramel, noy any obvious hop-flavour. High carbonation. A very nice beer.

blankboy (7689) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 18, 2006
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry, GregClow, jerc & tupalev -- my bottle courtesy of fordest. Pours a dark reddish-brown with a small off-white head. Nice aroma with lots of malt and hops along with some wood, brown sugar, toffee and alcohol. Flavour of sweet malt, lots of hops, spices and alcohol. Nice medium to full body. I must say I was a tad letdown but only compared to many of Alesmith’s other fantastic beers, It’s still really good and I imagine will get even better with some ageing -- I will revisit it again in the future.

bitbucket (2165) - Kirkland, Washington, USA - JUL 16, 2006
Bottle courtesy after4ever. It’s a perfect day for an IPA, and this bottle should be aged for a couple more years, but what the hell - I’m not going to encourage him to save the bottle for later. This is a big beer, the aroma starts with my glass still at arms length. Pours a nearly opaque reddish brown with a rocky tan head. The aroma is tootsie rolls, roasty chocolate and prunes. The body is full, lightly syrupy. The taste has the sweet toffee/molasses notes, along dried fruit and a bit of smoke. Nice clean finish.

Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - JUL 16, 2006
A couple of things to say here before the rating. This is the last of the "accessible" Alesmith’s (those with a ton of ratings to try anyway, they’re not really all that accessible!) I have yet to rate. I owe 100% of the chances to try them to Hogtown Harry and Blankboy, two great ratebeerians and friends who have been very generous with sharing the fruits of their very active trading. These guys are big credits to this site and awesome guys to share a brew with! And second, I’m not sure any American Micro has consistently blown me away across their entire lineup. There is so much good stuff going on in the U.S right now with micro’s that I encourage people to step back a bit and appreciate what they have - these threads discussing how just about every good beer I have ever tried is a bit ridiculous. Anyway, here goes. Bottle shared with Hogtown Harry, GregClow, Jerc, and Blankboy, courtesy of blankboy. Sweet malt, alcohol, in very muted aroma. Dark brown, syrupy looking, not really any head. Strong alcohol and malt taste - not much else. Very little hops, all alcohol. Where’s the smoke? The earthiness? The complexity of a fine Scotch Ale? Maybe this is a very young bottle? I was not expecting something so one dimensional from Alesmith. I enjoyed drinking it, but in comparison to their other offerings, and given my expectations for what they could do with this style, this is a big letdown. I look forward to revisiting in the future.

after4ever (8025) - Mukilteo, Washington, USA - JUL 16, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 13, 2007 750. Huge, creamy, chewy, delicious beer. Pours opaque brown with a beautiful sudsy tan head. As usual, AleSmith’s tasting notes don’t steer you wrong; sweet malt, smoke, toffee and raisins on the nose, with chocolate, molasses, and smoke on the palate. The body is impeccably modulated, just showing real girth but not collapsing into syrup. There’s enough carb there to keep it something like refreshing--as refreshing as sips can be, anyway. Tons of flavor, completely satisfying.
These notes apply to an ’07, which gets a 6-4-6-4-12. 750, capped, thanks, Kim! Mild sweet caramel and CO2 nose. Dark brown body with amber highlights; thick foamy tan head. Light caramel and toast on the mid-palate. Clean light malt sugary finish.

thornecb (5908) - Marblehead, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 13, 2006
Aged 6 months. Pours dark brown into a tulip. Significant conglomerate head slowly recedes with large carb hugging the rim. Alcohol and roasted caramel notes. Full bodied and creamy with upfront smoked coffee, chocolate and caramel syrup and a lasting slightly bittersmoke finish.