overall
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 1453   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05/5   IBU: 26   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
This Scottish-inspired deep mahogany-colored ale showcases a rich, malty flavor profile of caramel and toffee offset by hints of roast and subtle smoke. The complex malty sweetness includes notes of dark fruit balanced by a subdued hop bitterness. Wee Heavy is incredibly nuanced and in a class of its own in terms of balance and sophistication. It ages very well and will keep improving for years to come.

hopscotch (11113) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - NOV 5, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2009 Bottle...This beer rocks!... Malty, yeasty and lightly smokey. Notes of sherry, oak and light alcohol. Sparkling clear burnt amber hue. Off-white, medium sized creamy head. Excellent lacing. Fully lasting. Malty, yeasty, lightly sweet and lightly bitter up front. Alcohol and hops blast the senses while almost covering notes of prunes and dark fruits on the backside. Full-bodied. Lively carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel. Long, satisfyingly bitter, pungent and dry in the finish. This scotch ale is for everyone... maltheads and hopheads alike.Thanks go out to herbjones for this one. My favorite beer!

DocLock (10706) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 25, 2005
Big thanks to TChrome for this. Pours dark brown (a super heavy ruby through my desk lamp) with medium light tan head and mucho laceo. Aroma of malt, almonds, walnuts, corn flakes, cognac, cabernet, some chocoff. Wonderful, complex aroma. Tastes malty, with a huge chocolate-hazelnut palate, combined with some spirits (cognac, Amaretto). Super smooth, and more chocolate and nuts as it warms. Like drinking a Godiva chocolate nut candy. The alcohol is non-existent. The palate is more exquisite than a shaved call girl on the tongue. This one would be great as a nut brown, a porter, or a scottish ale. I’ve given more big scores in the last 3 months than I can ever remember. Then again, I’ve ramped up my trading so that I have a nice stockpile. To me, theoretically all beers could be perfect, or they could all be garbage. This one is perfect. My 12th perfecto robusto. If I had known, I’d have saved this for 1,500. I still have the Alesmith Grand Cru. Stay tuned, same Bat time, same Bat channel.....Find this stuff at all costs, even if you have to go Faustian and sell your soul...it’s that damned good! Bravo, Alesmith.

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 31, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2008 Cask During RBSG vintage version, the smoothest silkiest wee heavy ever and holy shit this beer is amazing and as such, I can’t give it a higher rating, but it cements this 5 for me because this version made me want to have it like this every day, it was incredible and is as such incredible. A much needed rerate. I’ve tried to do so a few times but haven’t managed. Pours dark brown amber with a 1 finger head. The nose is incredible malty sweet, and robust. Taste is sweet malty and robust, it is really a pretty damn amazing beer, this is beer that really got me going and I still like it. And I’m out it tonight. I like it still is it a 5? Its damn close if anything. This is my favorite beer, I love everything about it, it is unique, extremely malty, with rich sweet flavor. This beer is perfect for all seasons, like other fantastic beers from Alesmith, the alcohol taste is hidden behind the complex and enticing flavors. I can’t say a single bad thing about this liquid art form, thanks Alesmith.

MPosey (134) - , Georgia, USA - AUG 21, 2011
Pours a midnight black with very little head. Aromas of coffee and caramel. Initial warmth that warms to a sweet roasted finish with hints of alcohol. A wonderful, wonderful beer.

Ionlyrate5s (103) - New York, USA - SEP 7, 2014
Another perfect brew from one of best breweries around. Dark in color and nice tan head. Smells of molasses and peated malt. Taste rich rasin plum, with peated smoke finish. AA++++++

721Lance (82) - Oceanside Ca, California, USA - APR 6, 2015
On tap at pizza port a while back. Fantastic malt scotch aroma. Not woody but defiantly scotch. Malt dominates, silky smooth some anise and does end with very slight oersted character. Perfect to style.

Prolitariat777 (102) - St george, Utah, USA - AUG 5, 2015
Dark red garnet color white head white lacing. Pleated caramel and malt aroma. Flavor of light malted scotch with toffee background. Nice velvet smooth carbonation and mouthfeel.

Beerblogger100 (50) - Oceanside, California, USA - OCT 3, 2015
Garnet pour, rich malty aroma and some peat smoke. Flavor is rich malty and decadent, toffee and light caramel. Wonderful mouth coating finish, a dream in the 750 ml bottle.

tsd08460 (1170) - Marshall, Virginia, USA - DEC 5, 2015
Aroma: caramel, bread, roasty, smoke, Appearance: ruby red, tan head Taste: medium sweetness, medium bitterness, Palate: full body, creamy, soft carbonation, long finish, Excellent

PugUglyBrewer (665) - - DEC 31, 2016
Dark ruby brown color with a creamy light tan head. The aroma is sweet caramel, toffee, subtle raisin, and soft florals. Flavors are layers of smooth caramel, prune, and a dry toffee and smoke malt undertone.