overall
RATINGS: 1286   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Allagash Curieux is a unique beer that was aged for 8 weeks in Jim Beam Bourbon Barrels. In July 2004 they brewed a batch of the Triple and placed it in Bourbon barrels from Kentucky.
December ’04 bottles labeled as 11% ABV. Previous vintages at 9.5%

GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JUN 5, 2006
750 ml bottle. Feb 2006 vintage. Clear golden color with bubbly white head that laced the glass. Fruity, malty nose with a hint of those oak bourbon barrels...kind of like apple and bourbon. Flavor is similar with plenty of alcohol and lingering oakiness at the end. I think the balance between malt, alcohol, and oak-bourbon is fairly even. You either like the added flavors or not.

beerBB (132) - Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 2, 2006
Cloudy, golden color. good head w/ very fine bubbles. well carbonated. some hints of fruit aroma but overshadowed by the burbon. Alcohol is a little to present. Overall too much alcohol flavor/aroma. I think a little less time in the bourbon barrels and this becomes a home run.

trokini (1025) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 30, 2006
Poured dirty gold with a non-existent head. Aroma is thick with caramel malt, spices, and (shockingly) bourbon. The taste was just not that good. Too much bourbon spoiled the beer flavors. Maybe if they used a better bourbon (Makers Mark?) or less time in the Jim Beam barrel, this could be a great beer.

auerbrau (3206) - Ithaca, New York, USA - MAY 22, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 17, 2011 On tap at Julian’s - Providence, RI. Finally got around to re-rating this one and feel like I can see it for what it really is. Aroma brings up Bourbon and lightly Belgian-inflected pale malts. On the palate, it seems a bit light, surprisingly hiding the alcohol well. However, I think the overall light flavor of the underlying beer is overrun by the raw bourbon flavor and it comes across as out of balance and muddled with the Allagash house yeast, which for me, always has a slippery, soapy feel.

Originally rated 5/22/2006 - Julios Spring Beer Festival. Pour of almost yellow-green. Aroma of sweetly wicked sour Meyer lemons, with hints of coriander and light fruit alcohols. Flavor is intensely medicine to me, which does not sit well for my palate. This is hard to drink, but I can see that the use of the barrell is decent here, but I just can get into anything other than the strong belgian yeast profile. The palate is drying. Maybe a rerate?

GregClow (3402) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 17, 2006
Bottle (July/05 vintage) shared with a bunch of folks - courtesy of jerc. Hazy golden colour. Aroma is an interesting mixture of sweet and tart/sour notes - fruit, yeast and woody bourbon notes. Body is a bit on the light side. Flavour is deceptive - it seems simple (maybe because of the light body?), but there’s a lot going on in there if you look for it. By the end of my sample, I wasn’t sure how I felt about it - the bourbon notes started to get a bit harsh - but it’s an interesting experiment and I’m glad I tried it.

JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAY 16, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2010 I don’t yet have bourbon-barrel ennui so I have really enjoyed the two bottles (both from July 2005) I’ve had. I think Allagash’s Tripel is a strong, above average example of the style - and the b-b aging doesn’t compromise it for me. It actually moves it gently in the direction of a Flemish primitive, with the wood combining with the heat of the bourbon and a touch of citrus to give it a really interesting flavor that seems to bloom in the mouth. Better as it warms, this is a really strong entry from Allagash.

blankboy (7884) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 15, 2006
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry, GregClow, tupalev, jerc, R. and the rest of the gang -- courtesy of jerc. Vintage 2005. Pours a very hazy orange with a small diminishing white head. Sweet aroma of yeast, wood, fruit, spices and bourbon. Flavour of wood, bourbon, spices, yeast and an alcohol finish with some hops thrown in. Light to medium bodied. This is really good but there’s no damn way I could drink a whole bottle of this to myself.

Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 14, 2006
Jerc’s bottle shared with a bunch of fine folks. Nice yeasty, funky malt aroma. Hint of bourbon, lots of yeast, bitter. Interesting taste that was a combo of bourbon and a Belgian Triple. Strong strong taste. yeasty. Better as it warmed. What a great sipper, lovely!!

HogTownHarry (7086) - Toronto (Harbourfront), CANADA - MAY 14, 2006
Bottle (750ml). Shared with blankboy, GregClow, jerc, tupalev, DougShoemaker, R and others - jerc’s bottle. Cloudy orange with a smallish white head. Funky, peppery, heavy yeast aroma, some sour lemon and oak character, but I’ll say it again - funky. Taste is oaky (vanilla character), quite whiskey-ish, gets more whiskey character as it warms, otherwise spicy and yeasty, quite a bit of alcohol. It’s a little watery, but acidic, creamy, only lightly carbonated but the spice and yeast make it quite lively nonetheless. This is a solid brew, but the oaky/whiskey character (and the booze) gets a bit much after a while - it’s still restrained compared to some bourbon-aged beers, but I am certain I couldn’t drink a whole one myself.

CMUBEERMAN (458) - - MAY 14, 2006
’05 bottle...pours a light hazy copper with minimal white head. Aroma is bourbon, sweet candy, spice, and a bit of sour fruit. Flavor is quite woody and spicey...lots of actual jim beam too. If you let it warm, some interesting tangy sweetness shows itself. Mouthfeel is a bit light and highly carbonated. Very warming too.