overall
Serve in Tumbler, Weizen

RATINGS: 1658   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer, Allagash White delicately balances full flavor with a crisp, refreshing taste and subtle hints of spice. Naturally cloudy, bottled with yeast.

pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - APR 19, 2006
Pours a uniformly cloudy bright yellow with a minor head. Odd looking, but not unpleasant looking. Cloves, banana, and apples assault the nose with that wheat beer sourness. Average weight on the tongue with decent CO2 levels and just a touch of viscosity. Exactly what I smelled is exactly what I’m tasting. Perhaps a bit more sour, though. I’d say it’s a ctirus sort of sour, reminding me kumquats or tangerines maybe-- very vitamin C. This sourness lingers on the palate in much the way bitterness lingers after most beers. This style isn’t my cup of tea, but this ain’t bad.

CMUBEERMAN (458) - - APR 19, 2006
Pours a typical cloudy gold color with a pure white head. Aroma is lemon and pepper. Flavor is similar...a bit of sweetness and maybe bit of malt comes through, which is nice. A tad bit of sulfur though...which is I guess is a typical problem with yeast strains people use with wits. Mouthfeel is dry and very refreshing.

Jabswitch (278) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - APR 16, 2006
Tart, lemony aroma. Typical witbier cloudy appearance. Just the right carbonation. A light sourness without a longlasting aftertaste. This is a real thirst quencher

2beerguys (299) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - APR 8, 2006
First impressions here were good, when as soon as we popped the cork, we got a cloud of white smoke. Impressive intro. It pours with a full, frothy white head that mostly lasts. Hazy body crowned with good lacing. Aroma is a heavy shot of flowery hops. Smells very sweet. Initial taste, as expected, was lightly sweet, and that continues through the finish. Light on the mouth with a watery feel, soft carbonation.

vyvvy (6835) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 1, 2006
Pours a beautiful hazy yellow with a frothy white head. Aroma is solt orange peel with a pleasing light sweetness and traces of coriander. Taste is initially of orange peel and wheat leading up to the coriander on the finish and then a combination of the the flavor that sticks around. An amazingly tasty beer that is also unobtrusive. This is easily one of my favorites of the style.

blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - MAR 31, 2006
very tasty witbier. Nice cloudly orange beer with a spicey yet soft flavor. A nice wheat beer feel to it, but lighter. I have several, and it stands up as a good season beer too.

GarrettB (1692) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 24, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 29, 2007 Ephemeral food, while adorable, is not what I prefer to eat. Those pricey restaurants that flock to the commercial and tech business centers cook about $10 worth of food, make it pretty and charge twenty or thirty bucks, leaving the eater with an empty wallet and an even emptier stomach. I don’t care how lovingly garnished the olive appetizer is. It’s a single olive and there is no way it’s going to compensate for my caloric loss between lunch and dinner. Fine cuts of steak should look like that came from a fully grown cow. If I see a tiny sliver of beef that couldn’t have come from anything larger than a ruminant fetus, I’m going to have to take a quick trip to Chipotle and eat a full sized burrito just to end the night thinking I had a substantial meal. Luxurious restaurants have their place, but for me that place is few and far between. And like my food, I don’t find satisfaction in lightweight or insubstantial beers. Those like Allagash White, which I think does a great disservice to the style of Belgian Whites. I know Belgian Whites can have enough substance to be a clear and present style in the beer world. Hoegaarden was one of my first quality beers, and I’ve loved it since. But Allagash White is just a spectral version of a good Belgian White, on the verge of fading into obscurity, or as my palate calls it “semi-transition into water”. By appearance the Allagash differs little from the standard Wit; the same semi-cloudy yellow body with the cumulous bleached white head, and the familiar smells of a lemon twist, with an added bonus of spices. But the taste is weak, and the palate even weaker. Maybe it is the palate I hate the most after all. It’s irritably thin, and feels like working with a delicate art piece. Should drinking a beer feel like painting a Faberge egg? Absolutely not! Should opining over a sturdy and studious masculine beverage be like treading around precariously balanced ice sculptures? Of course not! So why drink the Allagash White? There is a benefit somewhere in its excessively gentility, but what it is I can’t find. Maybe it’s apropos for the patient recovering from surgery. A beer light enough to drip onto a 3rd degree burnt tongue, but with enough alcohol to pick the patient up from his drowsy, anaesthetized slumber.

JohnnyOS (646) - Golden, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 14, 2006
WIth the swirl it pours a cloudy dark yellow with small white head. Aroma of yeast, malt and lemon citrus. Flavor is crisp with a strong yeasty lemony zest. Wheaty finish.

gputty (456) - Virgina Beach, Virginia, USA - MAR 14, 2006
From 12 oz. bottle. Pours a cloudy yellow with small white head. Yeasts, coriander, spice and some lemon in the nose. Flavor is refreshing, with lemon, and spices up front, with a smooth wheat finish. Nice.

anders37 (27621) - Malmö, SWEDEN - MAR 14, 2006
Cloudy yellow colour with a white head. Lemon and cloves in the aroma. Flavor of lemon and some hints of cloves and yeast. Dry finish with some hints of cloves.