Alley Kat McDougall Scottish Export Ale

overall
Brewed by Alley Kat Brewing Company
Style: Scottish Ale
Edmonton, Canada

RATINGS: 17   MEAN: 3.42/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Scottish Export Ale aged in Scotch whiskey barrels.

mabel (9246) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 9, 2014
[5910-20131010] 650mL bottle. Whiskey smoked wood barrel aroma. Hazy, red amber body with a quick foamy off-white head. Smoked peat and hot peppercorn jalapeno flavour. Medium-full body. Not for me. (6/3/5/2/12) 2.8
(w/ blankboy, Greg Clow, jercraigs, mds)

DuffMan (10425) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 12, 2014
Bottle. Light amber brown with golden highlights. Very peaty aroma, dry wood, caramel. As others here have said, this is a peat-fest of a brew! Lots of dry woody peaty character, light caramel malts. Nice if you like a very scotchy scottish ale.

cfrancis (3444) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 29, 2013
Thanks to Riemer for this. Peat, peat and more peat. If you like peat, this is the beer for you. Unfortunately I do not.

blankboy (7689) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 23, 2013
Bottle [650ml] shared with GregClow, mds, jerc & mabel -- c/o j&m. Pours a deep dark orange-amber with a small semi-lasting frothy off-white head. Aroma is peat, peat and peat -- peat galore. Flavour follows the aroma but there is a little more going on, there’s malt, earthy notes and alcohol -- more there yes, but it’s not quite as good. Average to medium bodied. Wow, ya gotta love peat, and I do so...yeah.

jercraigs (10365) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 18, 2013
2013-10-10. Dark amber body with a modest beige head. 3+ Aroma is quite strong with a smokey peaty character and notes of iodine. Flavour is all of the above as in the aroma, whiskey like warming alcohol despite being low abv. Average plus bodied palate, modest carbonation. Ugh. Very much not for me as it features all of my least favorite whiskey characteristics, but I was in the minority at the table. Bottle via trade with Ferris.

CapFlu (5127) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 29, 2013
(650ml bottle) Courtesy of Ferris. Pours a near headless deep brown body. Nose is mesmerizing - this is the closest thing I’ve ever had to whiskey in beer-form. Aroma of peat, alcohol, musk. When swirled around the body is thin and sadly there is an underlying vegetable, watercress, and canned beans. If they amped up the malt and got this to 8% - this would be world-class and sought after over the world. Amazing, amazing stuff. Thanks for this experience... I’m ready for the next steps to perfection. Great stuff.

VertBaconStrips (2389) - Blerkablerka, VENEZUELA - AUG 21, 2013
my computer blows... impossible to actually get a review in! freeze freeze freeze... die! its as ferris stated - liquid peat water. Thanks goes to the underage chap that lent me this beer - the voyeur cameras I installed in the toilet didn’t work at all. Islay nose all the way, charred wood, campfire cooked bacon, oatmeal backing, salty chocolate, sweet candied secretly spiced warm bruised apple mush. The taste is an odd one - no one who is sane and appreciates whisky would ever water it down and consume lots yet here I am - accepting exactly that. The taste has changed since I opened it an hour ago and casually sipped away the first half of the bottle. Now I sit with the bottom half and since I’m indulging constantly I’ve lost some of the finer qualities. The pure peat water slap was weakened in density and given way to some root beer flavours. Yea, the peat slides in strong upon contact but my tasting skills are ignoring its call. Light pepper mid-end, late late late apple chew that appeared a minute after i put the last swig back. Now i can really taste that mellow yet distinguished apple quality... it’s battered around gently by some vanilla wisps. Beyond the peat water aspect this is very good and gives me that smokehead itch that I’ve sadly forgotten to scratch. Now my balls... never seem to forget to scratch those.

robdoerk (13) - Okotoks, Alberta, CANADA - JUL 13, 2013
Aroma was a complete balanced mix of caramel malt, earthy hops and a smell that initially struck me as cardboard (usually an indicator of oxidation). It wasn’t until my first taste that I immediately realized what the cardboardy aroma really was; it was smoky whisky oak from the whisky barrels. While the whisky-infused oak works great in the flavour, it was a bit of a detractor from the aroma. This is a medium-full bodied beer, moderately carbonated. The opening flavour is caramel and hazelnut, but the smoky whisky-oak flavour really dominates. The whisky-oak flavour, with a pleasant acidic tartness lingers long after the swallow; it is wonderful. The beer is copper-brown, slightly hazy, with a moderate off-white head that dissipated fairly quickly. If entered into a competition strictly as a BJCP 9C (Scottish Export 80), I would have to score it down due to its excessive smokiness. But I’m not judging in a competition now; I’m simply enjoying a beer, and I love this one. It’s a wonderful beverage.

pintbypint (3634) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JUL 12, 2013
650ml brown bottle. Red brown pour, orange highlights, small beige head with decent lacing. Nose has big whiskey notes, sweet booze, earth. Taste has smoky malts, caramel and light earth. Finishes with caramel and smoky malts. Overall a nice scotchy ale, very nice aroma. Nice to see this style brewed at sessionable strength.

pushkinwow (2789) - Ottawa, CANADA - JUN 17, 2013
Bomber thanks to gramity. First impression was cross between screetch and Laphroig, sorta watered down peaty and potent scotch nose, then had some quarter cask and realized that wasn’t quite fair to the scotch but still first impressions are important. Oak and whiskey for sure, mahogany with a creamy head, long finish, boozy, moderate carbonation and a young boozy palate that warms up the body.