overall
RATINGS: 139   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   EST. CALORIES: 278   ABV: 9.25%
The return of “Bad Boy,” our ‘other’ double IPA, happens this Thursday as soon as our doors open. It’s NOT bottled but we will be filling growlers at the brewery and glasses at the pub. This beer, created by Shawn, uses hops that weren’t around when Pure Hoppiness was invented. That’s one of the reasons it has such a huge hop presence. We also use predominately Premium British ‘Maris Otter’ barley which enriches the flavor and deepens the body. Be careful at 9.25% abv

arondee (601) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - MAR 23, 2011
Got a growler of this today straight from the brewery. Pours a clear golden yellow color with a thick white head that sticks to the sides of the glass. The aroma is heaven, it shocked me it was so powerful. I opened the growler and the hop aroma filled the room. It’s like sticking your face in a bag of fresh hops. I would have rated this highly just because of the aroma but the taste is amazing. The hops are there and powerful but perfectly balanced with a slightly sweet honey malt backbone. If you’re a fan of Pliny, this has to be on your short list of beers to try in San Diego. I love the beers from Alpine and this one stands tall at the top above Pliny for me. It is so good, I almost rated it as perfect. The only thing I could find any fault at all in was the appearance, I suppose it could have been a little clearer. I love it, time to get another growler.

HopMasterFlex (108) - Carlsbad, California, USA - JUN 7, 2011
This is my favorite IPA/DIPA/TIPA of all time. I have had small batch IPA’s from all over the country including pty and Bad Boy is the king of all things hoppy. Pours a perfect golden orange with a frothy white head. Smell is pine and citrus, the dry hopping really brings out the aroma and carries through to the taste. taste is citrusy, pine, trpical with a great bittering hoppy finish. I don’t know if it can get better than this. If only they had the resources to brew it year round...

regspeir (199) - Havertown, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 4, 2011
Session was growler pours (thank you sleepyhead!) into a standard pint glass. This great looking DIPA poured a light orange, almost honey-colored, with a two-finger, white-as-snow head. There was healthy, sticky lacing with good retention. The nose was wonderful - orange, mango, lemon, pine, floral and citrus hops predominating but some sweetness in the back. Taste was near perfection - tropical fuit and grapefruit with light malt notes. There was the expected (refreshing, not off-putting) moderate bitterness, especially in the finish. Mouthfeel was medium-bodied, lightly carbonated, and crisp, even after it warms. There was no hint that this could be 9%, so it’s dangerously drinkable. Maybe Alpine makes an OK beer but I haven’t had it and this one sure isn’t it. Having now had over 150 different IPA’s and DIPA’s, this jumps easily near the top. Do those of you who live close to the treasure know how fortunate you are? I love this beer AND this brewery! If you get the chance - grab it!