overall
RATINGS: 440   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.08/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Very popular. A complex hopping method where each hop addition is double the previous amount. More hops in the hopback and then two dry-hop sessions. The second dry-hop session is with whole hops and oak chips. 1.093 OG 10.75%ABV

SDalkoholic (2444) - Linda Vista, California, USA - JUL 22, 2006
On tap @ O’briens: a dense brass color with perfect fluff of head. Aroma is undeniable and boast a lively aroma of fresh picked hops. Flavor is the same with huge hop profile resembling grapefruit mainly and pine as well. Light hint of alcohol is apparent. I’m sure this could be smelt on my person hours after consumption. I do question the phrase "Most dangerous beer in America", since i was ready to take on another. I’m glad i was able cross paths with this monster though.

winegarner (220) - san diego, California, USA - JUL 8, 2006
Growler fill from brewery. Still poured with a firm off white head and a crystal clear golden color. Aroma is hops. If you have ever taken a fist full of hop and rubbed them in between your hand, this is how the beer smells. And not any hops but smooth citrusy american hops. Flavor has a good honeyish malt base then flows into a malestrom of hop flavor. Not too much hop bitterness going on but penty of late boil and post boil additions present. A San Diego Pale Ale at its finest.

bindpmc (88) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 13, 2006
Both cask and draught from Liar’s Club. I could not get over the (definitely awesome) vanilla impression that I was left with taste after taste. My two drinking buddies not only disagreed, but didn’t even get a whiff or taste of vanilla in their experience (buddies were there for draught, not cask). I’m guessing Simcoe, but I believe there is more at work in that hop mix. Very rich. Yes as far as the hops breakdown goes, sure, there is some of the citrusy and even grapefruit bits, not much of the piney bits though. If only I could discern what is bringing that vanilla taste to the tongue. Truly mysterious and impeccable in quality. Instead of "nectar of the gods" I’ll just say it is some totally rad and individualistic stuff.

Bartzilla (624) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 7, 2006
On sample a the brewery. Absolutely fantastic. Hop explosion with good alcohol notes. The hops do a good job of leading you to believe that you can drink a full growler of this. I outta know because I tried doing just that and got completely devastated. In a good way. Alpine makes great beers. They understand the importance of obscene amounts of hops. Very friendly folks too!

billk (353) - Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, USA - MAR 29, 2006
Tap @ Liar’s Club. golden color w good off white head. I had this after a pliney the elder followed by a pliney the younger. They were tough acts to follow. I will have to rate it without having anything else first, for after the plineys it tasted weak & buffered down.

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - MAR 26, 2006
6th annual Bistro IIPA fest. I was not loving the aroma on this one. Cloying with some hemp. Hazy amber with no bubbles. Frothy, off-white head. Excellent, sporadic lace. Yummy brew; very well balanced and creamy. Unique.

1FastSTi (3358) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 12, 2006
Tap at The Liar’s Club. Pours to a clear bronzed body with a thin white head and spotty lacing with visible carbonation. The aroma is mango, passion fruit, pomegranate, oranges. The flavor is malty, passion fruit, pomegranates. Very strange but still alluring. Very fruity. The palate is smooth, fruity, medium bodied. The weirdest beer I’ve ever had. It startled me when I first took a sip.

MIBRomeo (2579) - Wisconsin, USA - MAR 12, 2006
UPDATED: APR 11, 2006 orangish color whispy white head w/ some nice lacing. Fresh hop aroma big citrus & pinapple and passion fruit w/ some nice carmel & hints of alcohol. Palate is well coated lightly creamy. Flavor is a nice tropical fruit blend w/ some sweet carmels and a nicely bitter finish. Very odd but very very good.

BückDich (5477) - McCall, Idaho, USA - MAR 8, 2006
Draught at The Liar’s Club - San Diego: Amber color, thin head with nice lacing. Nose of sweet cherry malts, some kind of fatty insence I can’t remember. The flavor is nice and dry hopped with a lot of sweet malt, diacetyl and overall unbalanced by this sweet level. Huge body and a long tail. Good, not near as intense as most of these So Cal Double IPAs or maybe I’m getting used to them...

bb (9790) - Alamo, California, USA - FEB 22, 2006
Draft. Rich amber beer with a nice off-white head. Sweet citrus malt aroma. Sweet malt and caramel flavor with lots of fruity hops - orange/apricot. Easy drinking. LIngering fruity hops. Medium bodied. Hides alcohol well. Wanted a bit more body