Anchor Our Special Ale (2001 and earlier)

overall
RATINGS: 453   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Our Special Ale, a dark, rich, heavily spiced ale with a recipe that changes with each passing year. - The enticing ruby color is topped by a dark creamy head that emits both malty and spicy aromas with ginger being a prominent one. The full body is matched with complex dry and spicy flavors that produce a nice favorable combination before finishing on the dry side.

1.2
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - NOV 19, 2001
For 2001, apparently they’ve added a ton of anise or some such thing. Tastes like a big stick of black licorice. Completely nasty. I don’t know how I choked down the whole thing, or why (well, I did pay for it...). It’s been good in the past, but this year they shot it all to hell.

ravidesai (978) - Bombay, INDIA - NOV 17, 2001
A nice holiday brew. all sorts of intersting flavors mingle together- the label claims ginger is an ingredient but the prevalent spice tastes were of cloves and nutmeg with traces of vanilla and a sweet honey aftertaste. This is beer to sip and enjoy after a meal. would get a hugher score if the hop tastes did not fade so quickly.

billb (245) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - NOV 16, 2001
The brewer’s description is very accurate. I didn’t notice the ginger (this is the 2001 edition), but there was a spicy more like nutmeg aroma. The carbonation was a little excessive, but a few swirls in the glass (while I gathered the aroma) toned it down to my liking. There is a battle in the flavor between the hops and spices with the hops winning the battle in the finish. This beer is a little darker and offers deeper spices than something like Harpoon’s Winter Warmer which is a perky beer to me. I recommend it, although don’t expect anything mind blowing.

joet (2606) - Wilsonville, Oregon, USA - NOV 15, 2001
Vintage 2001: The beer pours a liberal and elaborate aroma of mint, cola, and nutmeg. The taste starts light with hints of chocolate and more spice and quickly hints of heavy, burned and body-slamming bitter. The finish is light, dry and clean except for lingering high hop notes. This beer is unbalanced, and medicinally herbal.

tourette (225) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 3, 2001
Damn!!! That is some good beer. One of the best. 2000 edition.

K-V-F-L (292) - LaVista, Nebraska, USA - OCT 16, 2001
Saltiness in the head is a forewarning. Chocolate, caraway seeds, beef bouillon, or gin, depending upon whom you ask. Juniper berries and bark complete the picture. I guess it reminds me of Christmas, but I had to drink this a long time before it grew on me.

gonzimodo99 (26) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 19, 2001
One of the more interesting holiday ales. From the first taste, you think it is going to be overpowering in its spiciness, but it mellows down quickly and becomes quite drinkable. Holds up in storage surprisingly well.

Brent (116) - Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA - SEP 10, 2001
2000 issue - dark and rich, almost stout-like, with a spicy hops and some other flavoring adjunct I could not identify. Hope 2001 is as good.

fraternie (1011) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 25, 2001
A thin dark ruby colored beer. Spicy aroma and malt, a bit of a pumpkin flavor, followed by a coffee/ porter-like aftertaste.

ancherrera (162) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 31, 2001
Strong flavor. Complex flavors. Can be overpowering if you have more than 1 or 2