overall
RATINGS: 352   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Our Special Ale, a dark, rich, heavily spiced ale with a recipe that changes with each passing year.

Aurelius (5690) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - DEC 9, 2003
This year's edition was rather disappointing. Appearance was good, as always: beer, label, cap, bottle. A fruit and spice aroma over chocolate malt. Spice and cocoa-malt bittered, easy dark malt sweetness, but then the middle and back palates go strangely vacant and watery. A rather sudden quit, with only some faint spicy and bitter cocoa lingerings. Maybe next year.

egajdzis (6856) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 8, 2003
Draft at the Grey Lodge in NE Philly... Poured a brown/reddish color with a medium sized off white head and some lacing. Very mild, sweet aroma of bubblegum, some hops and maybe even some spices in the background. It had a very full mouthfeel, taste started with some slight spice of cinnamon or maybe nutmeg. Finished with a very strange aftertaste, maybe some type of vegetable or medicine? After drinking 2/3 of the glass, my mouth felt very chalky. I had had the 02 in my pre-ratebeer days, and hated it, I thought i needed to learn some to enjoy this. Well, I have, and still didn't enjoy it, I think I will cellar the bottle I have in my fridge, I hope that does something to it. I just read through a couple pages of ratings, and I think mabdoney nailed it with the tastes like carrots comment, not what I am looking for in my beer.

whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 8, 2003
Dark cinnamon-brown body with a velvety tan head. Aroma of anise, nutmeg, and pie crust. Flavor of licorice, rum, and spices. Thick and rich with almost stout-like qualities. Last year's version was like a nutmeg shake. This one is more subdued and clearly superior.

MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - DEC 7, 2003
Really glad I tried this one. Just what I was looking for in a Christmas brew. Tawny in color with spice and citurs on the nose and palate. Can be served with a meal or enjoyed alone while sitting in your favorite chair on a cold winter night.

Terminus (3742) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 7, 2003
bottle, poured into brandy snifter-Smell of pine neddles, junper berries, nutmeg, allspice and licorice. Pours a deep mahogony, almost black appearance with off white head that didn't last long. little bubble carbonation. Medium/light palate with tingly carbonation on the mouth. slightly sour mid to late palate. Lots of wood in the flavor-pine needles, but not in the hoppy sense

drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - DEC 7, 2003
Wow...I love these super spicey christmas ales. I'm not sure what's in here either...nutmeg, ginger, allspice? The spice is wonderfully incorporated despite its potentcy and the beer itself is very balanced and round as can be. Limited by the style, but fairly tasty regardless.

Darkover (1545) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 6, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 19, 2004 Dark brown color with a big tan head. Mild spice aroma. Flavor of malt and spices. But I don't know what kind of spices. Finish is a little bitter and the spices stick for a long time.

ClarkVV (7051) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 6, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2003 Could we get a little more f**king spice??? Damn, I give up. I am so sick of the overspicing. It just dosent cut it. Concentrate on making the beer, not the spice. One of these years. . .

hotchick (20) - Delaware, USA - DEC 5, 2003
Very dark brown, almost like flat coca cola without much head... but a little creamy color. Caramel tones and chocolate, some coffee and spicy aroma. Cinnamon, nutmeg and a slight raspberry taste.

desurfer (1302) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - DEC 5, 2003
Deep ruby body with a small, mocha colored head. Aroma very Christmasy, with nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon. Flavor is on the light side as in not too overpowering, but it's a wonderful combination of many spices. Gingerbread, pumpkin, and cinnamon are all there, and it finishes smooth with a slight dry bite. More, please.