overall
RATINGS: 2109   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
This is our special ale from the brewers at Anchor. It is sold only from early November to mid-January. The Ale’s recipe is different every year, but the intent with which we offer it remains the same: joy and celebration of the newness of life. Since ancient times, trees have symbolized the winter solstice when the earth, with its seasons appears born anew.

Editor’s Note: due to the significant similarity in style and strength from year to year (despite potential differences in the exact spice blend), this beer is no longer separated by vintage.

elmatador00 (519) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 2, 2008
06 Magnum. Shared with some friends during 08 new year. Pours a dark cloudy brown with a creamy tan head. Has excellent lacing. Hints of sweet potato pie (cinnamon, nutmeg, honey) some hop, lots of malt. Finishes thick with a creamy spice taste on the tongue.

jblendy (519) - Hawthorne, New Jersey, USA - NOV 11, 2006
Pours very dark brown with a nice tan head. Sweet, spicy, malty aroma, and flavor follows well. Cinnamon and nutmeg dominate the flavor, but there is still a nice maltiness and body to it. Fairly balanced, but with a slightly watery but still thick body. Great for the season, but not something I’d want year round. So I guess they got it right.

Gerardgathier (512) - - DEC 30, 2014
Currently I am updating my ratebeer with al the beers I drank but was too lazy to rate at the time. I give the scores I gave back than. If I drink the beers again I might re-rate them.

benpickens (512) - Camarillo, California, USA - DEC 26, 2016
Pours inky black with frothy coffee colored head; tobacco and dark chocolate on the nose; spicy hoppy finish.

gearbike (512) - West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA - DEC 7, 2005
Dark ruby with a small head from the bottle. I could not place what I now read as the spice/herb/vegetable. I’m still not sure of what that is. A little dry but it grows on you.

BarZigKin (511) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - DEC 8, 2010
2010 version on tap at the Saucer in San Antonio. Poured a cloudy, dark brown body with a lasting tan head that left lacing. Aromas of spice cookies, evergreen, licorice, malty, gum drops and is "differently complex". Flavors are similar to the aromas. Adds a floral hop bitterness and some bittersweet chocolate. Medium to full mouthfeel. This year’s verision seems less chalky than last years. It’s growing on me....

blafa (511) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - DEC 8, 2011
Bottle from systembolaget, Christmas beer tasting. Helsingborg, November 2011.
Aromas of Christmas spices , wood, bitter grass and some malts. A light alcoholic note enriching the complexity. Weak body that doesn’t really carries the taste through. Spicy with a light sweetness. Short bitter finish.

acearl (510) - The Ham, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 16, 2012
2012. Poured from bottle, dark mahogany pour, 1 finger creamy tan head, not much lacing, smell and taste of spice although hard to say exactly what it is, ginger and other Xmas spices is all I can come up with, more pronounced in on the finish with a lingering aftertaste. It is unique but I don't think I would purchase this.

viktorvee (510) - Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 20, 2013
Mild vegetable quality, gingerbread quality, musty, clove vibe but ultimately a bit thin and slightly watery, dank. Not my cup of tea.

natejgood (510) - Bozeman, Montana, USA - NOV 17, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 19, 2008 I’m rating the 2007 Spcial Ale. It pours relatively dark with a lot of medium brown head. The head leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. It smells of holiday spices, including nutmeg, cloves and pumpkin spice. It smells like the holidays. The flavor starts with some sweet coffee, moves onto some of the holiday spices, and ends with a bit of bitterness around the sides of my mouth. The beer leaves the mouth a little dry, and the carbination is very light. This is a very good offering for a holiday beer. An update to my rating. The 2008 beer is just as splendid as the 2007.