overall
RATINGS: 2109   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
This is our special ale from the brewers at Anchor. It is sold only from early November to mid-January. The Ale’s recipe is different every year, but the intent with which we offer it remains the same: joy and celebration of the newness of life. Since ancient times, trees have symbolized the winter solstice when the earth, with its seasons appears born anew.

Editor’s Note: due to the significant similarity in style and strength from year to year (despite potential differences in the exact spice blend), this beer is no longer separated by vintage.

timsilvia32 (449) - from Michigan now in Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - DEC 11, 2008
Very dark amber pour, rocky cream colored head. Nice lacing. Rather unassuming aroma, some malt, citrus, Thanksgiving and Christmas dessert spices. Flavor is much more standout than the nose. Nice malt and hop citrus and pine up front. Mellows to slightly sweet and the spices. Clean finishing and surprisingly filling. Liked this one a lot, much better than the previous 2 years. Though none of these Christmas ales have been bad.

thicksuds (449) - Massachusetts, USA - DEC 9, 2010
2010 vintage, nice dark pour, light and fluffy head, dissipates into a nice thing lacing, spice combination is excellent, dark beer characteristics, nice malts, also detecting hops, and a fruity (cherry?) flavor as well. Basically a bunch of great flavors and sensations, put together into a beer that flows well, and surprisingly everything fits together like it belongs. Excellent holiday beer, rivaling the best for me. Surprising drinkability as well, I am adding this to my annual buy list.

two7offsuit (448) - Massachusetts, USA - DEC 30, 2014
Pours dark brown with a tan head. Aroma is malt and spice. Taste is thin malt with some spice.

johnnyoski (445) - Macomb, Michigan, USA - NOV 27, 2011
Bottle, 2011 vintage. Dark brown pour with a small brown head. Nutmeg, cinnamon and sweet berry aroma. Very malty with a mix of spices that combine for a muddled taste with a sweet, nutty finish. Watery texture with lively carbonation. A good Winter ale but I was hoping for even better based on the aroma.

CMUBEERMAN (442) - - JAN 12, 2006
Taste like soap and berries. Has an amazing mouthfeel and aroma, but I can’t get past the taste. This is the worst anchor I’ve had.

berrya785 (441) - Kansas, USA - JAN 18, 2013
12 oz bottle of 2012 poured into a tulip glass. Pours a dark brown with a frothy two-finger tan head. Aroma is caramel and roasted malts and very spicy with nutmeg and cinnamon. Taste is malty and then very spicy.

Demens (440) - Budapest, HUNGARY - DEC 23, 2016
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2017 On tap. Thick dark colour with long lasting beige head. Aroma: Very light notes of vanilla, whiskey barrel and caramel. Not the most aromatic one. Taste: Light sweet start with lots of barrel (wood) taste and a bit soapy too (juniper berry?) with a full bitter mouthfeel. Not my favourite combination. Medium body with soft carbonation. Long sopay finish. Not my cup of tea.

badbeer (434) - Iowa, USA - DEC 23, 2007
2005 Vintage This beer pours a dark brown color with a bubbly tan head. Lacing stuck around for the entire glass. Aroma was nice with hints of all kinds of spices, nothing over the top. Has strong taste of ginger and spices, and tasted a bit like eggnog. I was hoping for a little more of a punch out of this to help warm up the night. Beer was fun to sip on during a cold night, but one was enough.

keith0718 (434) - Kansas, USA - JAN 8, 2008
I like this beer. I’m not a big fan of spice/herb/vegetable adjuncts, but I did enjoy this beer quite a bit; perhaps, because I couldn’t really discern the adjuncts. It tasted to me, like a solid, well balanced ale of complex character.

AndresTM (434) - Texas, USA - NOV 13, 2014
It pours like a coke in color, with a handsome, frothy, quarter-inch head. It smells like Christmas in a bottle: eggnog, fruitcake, allspice, nutmeg, and vanilla curd are complemented by piney, herbal hops. Very inviting. The mouthfeel is medium to light, velvety with adequate carbonation. The taste is primarily bitter from the hops, with a spicy, orange-pelt sweetness rounding it out towards the end. It’s good, but it does not deliver on the promises the nose made. I generally like my Christmas-season beers a lot stronger, darker, stickier, and sweeter, but I enjoyed this.