overall
RATINGS: 2124   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
This is our special ale from the brewers at Anchor. It is sold only from early November to mid-January. The Ale’s recipe is different every year, but the intent with which we offer it remains the same: joy and celebration of the newness of life. Since ancient times, trees have symbolized the winter solstice when the earth, with its seasons appears born anew.

Editor’s Note: due to the significant similarity in style and strength from year to year (despite potential differences in the exact spice blend), this beer is no longer separated by vintage.

badbeer (434) - Iowa, USA - DEC 23, 2007
2005 Vintage This beer pours a dark brown color with a bubbly tan head. Lacing stuck around for the entire glass. Aroma was nice with hints of all kinds of spices, nothing over the top. Has strong taste of ginger and spices, and tasted a bit like eggnog. I was hoping for a little more of a punch out of this to help warm up the night. Beer was fun to sip on during a cold night, but one was enough.

keith0718 (434) - Kansas, USA - JAN 8, 2008
I like this beer. I’m not a big fan of spice/herb/vegetable adjuncts, but I did enjoy this beer quite a bit; perhaps, because I couldn’t really discern the adjuncts. It tasted to me, like a solid, well balanced ale of complex character.

AndresTM (434) - Texas, USA - NOV 13, 2014
It pours like a coke in color, with a handsome, frothy, quarter-inch head. It smells like Christmas in a bottle: eggnog, fruitcake, allspice, nutmeg, and vanilla curd are complemented by piney, herbal hops. Very inviting. The mouthfeel is medium to light, velvety with adequate carbonation. The taste is primarily bitter from the hops, with a spicy, orange-pelt sweetness rounding it out towards the end. It’s good, but it does not deliver on the promises the nose made. I generally like my Christmas-season beers a lot stronger, darker, stickier, and sweeter, but I enjoyed this.

Melkart (431) - Porto Alegre, BRAZIL - NOV 28, 2013
Very nice beer. I tasted floral and a little bit honey. The alcohol show itself a little bit, but the beer is balanced considering the whole. Dark collor and light body.

uhclem (431) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - DEC 13, 2013
On tap @ Old Chicago mini tour. I am not normally a fan of spiced beer, but this one was surprisingly good. The herbal undertones made me think of Jagermeister.

junon (430) - Honolulu, Hawaii, USA - DEC 2, 2009
Definitely an Earthy beer. Spices and herbs. A bit of candy. Reminds me of my grandmothers secret remedies. Its almost like an alcoholic cola. Such an odd style.

vmilaxer29 (427) - Virginia, USA - DEC 24, 2011
Has a nice spicy aroma after you pour it, but the taste doesn’t seem to match the smell. The beer could definitely use a higher alcohol content and more distinctive flavor. Not a bad winter ale.

Zekada (427) - Helsingborg, SWEDEN - DEC 23, 2014
Bottle from Systembolaget. Aroma is malty and spicy. Pours almost black with a small beige head. Taste is smokey and has some roasted malts. Palate is a bit oily. Overall a decent beer, not very tasteful though.

madcow75 (426) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 21, 2006
bottle. Pours brown with a red hue when held up to the light. Thick light brown head. Fruit, leather, some toffee and spices in the aroma. Taste of toffee and some fruit, dry and finishes with some tobacco. Not bad for a holiday brew.