overall
RATINGS: 2109   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
This is our special ale from the brewers at Anchor. It is sold only from early November to mid-January. The Ale’s recipe is different every year, but the intent with which we offer it remains the same: joy and celebration of the newness of life. Since ancient times, trees have symbolized the winter solstice when the earth, with its seasons appears born anew.

Editor’s Note: due to the significant similarity in style and strength from year to year (despite potential differences in the exact spice blend), this beer is no longer separated by vintage.

coolfunnj (374) - Margate City, New Jersey, USA - APR 8, 2016
as always wonderful cinnamon nutmeg and gingerbread aroma with a caramel note also..dark brown no light passes thru with tan filmy head and lacing..taste a little more hoppy(pine) than apparent in the nose with the abovementioned cinnamon ginger flavors as well burnt malts and smoke apparent as well surprisingly dry finish..light-medium bodied long dry finish with a coka cola like aftertaste this isn’t my favorite one could use more sweetness and is even slightly harsh,still unusual and tasty though, a hop fan may rate this higher (2015 batch)

simontomlinson (372) - Blackburn, Lancashire, ENGLAND - JAN 3, 2017
Light beige head soon left a cover on a near black still body. Sweet nutty aroma. Medium body feel, well carbonated - clean on the palate. This has lots of malts, nutty flavours, spice, hints of cinnamon - tangy on the back. Good Christmas flavours. 2016 Bottle.

RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - NOV 19, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 15, 2006 Pours a really nice ruby/brown with a two finger tan head that fades slowly to a nice cap, and leaves tons of lacing on the sides of my glass as I drink it. Smell; cinnamon, nutmeg, a bit of chocolate and a little pine tree. It smells sweet, and the spices definitely make me think of the holidays. Taste; the spices hit first, cinnamon and ginger, caramel, a little bit of pine tree, and just enough of a hop bite to it. I also get a little vanlla as it gets warmer. It’s not as sweet as the smell would have led me to believe, which I’m thankful for. Mouthfeel is medium to full in body, and very smooth. I find that I have to make myself slow down a little as I drink this. I picked up a bottel to try since I’ve never had this before, now I’m going to have to go out and get more.

ford9719 (371) - Vilseck, GERMANY - DEC 24, 2006
Bottle. Poured a slight dark with white head. Had the aroma of pine. But tasted like a flat coke. Not that great of a beer.

ChristianSA (368) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 23, 2005
Bottle. Very dark chestnut with huge, tan and very stable head, dragging excellent lace. Aroma is awesome with the spices being in your face without being overpowering. I get licorice, clove , cinnamon and worchestershire sauce. Flavor is lightly roasted and malty with a long roasted aftertaste. The spices are only barely noticeable - just as I like my spiced beers. A bit watery in the mouth and a bit too fizzy, but not enough to distract you from the qualities of this brew. Very good for a spiced beer.

LarsEngen (367) - Sandvika, NORWAY - JAN 19, 2014
35,5 cl bottle from etregourmet.be. This 2013 edition pours dark brown with a large creamy, beige head that stays up. Aromas of chocolate, coffee, cinnamon and orange. Flavour is malty with dark, bitter chocolate and spices. Creamy mouthfeel with a very long spiced aftertaste that after 5 min changes to dark bitter chocolate. Some alcohol warmth as well. Well brewed and a nice different beer.

jehoesefat (366) - Poway, California, USA - NOV 28, 2013
2013 release. Sweet herbal aroma. Pours clear ruby with a tan head. Great flavors, malty chocolate and herbs blend well.

MercyDevice (365) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2013
Pours a rich dark brown with a full, light brown head. Complex; with fruit, nut, and coffee notes. Just the right amount of bitterness.

TheBear11D (365) - Michigan, USA - MAY 18, 2014
The Anchor Merry Christmas, Happy New Year pours a dark brown color with a frothy tan brown head that doesn’t linger too long. The aroma features a lovely mixture of raisin, cranberries, cinnamon and pine. The flavor is cranberry, cinnamon, pine and molasses. Overall this is a very solid brew.

SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - MAR 31, 2006
Bottle. Poured very dark crimson with a nice frothy head that never completely went away. Aroma is a little light, but good. Milk chocolate, cinnamon, peat, caramel and slight spiciness. Very nice flavor, very balanced among many different constituents. Smoke, peat, baker’s chocolate, toffee, malt, cinnamon, spices and even a subtle English hop presence. Very good.