overall
RATINGS: 571   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.69/5   EST. CALORIES: 99   ABV: 3.3%
The tradition of brewing two distinct beers from one mash has existed for thousands of years, and for centuries the term "small beer" was used in English to describe the lighter and weaker second beer. We make our Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale from the rich first runnings of an all-malt mash, and Anchor Small Beer is our attempt to duplicate the "small beers" of old by sparging that same mash: sprinkling warm water over the Old Foghorn mash after the first wort has run off, thereby creating a second, lighter brew from the resulting thinner wort. We believe you will find Anchor Small Beer delicious—similar to what modern brewers call a "bitter"—and we hope you will also enjoy the idea of reviving an ancient brewing tradition, which is something of great importance.

bbbrew (204) - Hawaii, USA - OCT 15, 2011
What a great drinkable beer. I’ll be stocking up on this one. Light feel perfect amount of bitterness for a lower alcohol beer. Love it.

Doghair (312) - Illinois, USA - AUG 21, 2012
Poured into a pint glass. Darker amber with a nice two finger head. Lots of visible carbonation. Foam clings to glass all the way down. Smell is very mild hops and malt. Taste is also light. Again hops and malt with a mild bitter finish. This is good beer. Don’t try to make it something it’s not. It’s a second running beer from a barley wine mash. I think it’s a great effort and a nice lighter beer.

jmagnus87 (2912) - Rockford, Illinois, USA - APR 10, 2013
22oz bottle poured into a shaker. Pours a ckear rust orange with a half finger of white head. Aroma is light and slightly fruity. Citrus and pine with a little bready biscuits. Taste is light bitter. Piney and herbal with some bready . Decent brew, but by far my favorite from anchor.

nybol (2311) - DENMARK - JUL 10, 2015
følge producentens hjemmeside er øllen en bitter, og det er den. En meget humlet øl, med lav procent og en god eftersmag der er lidt mere blød en selve smagen og et stejf af et eller frugtagtigt. Er man glad for humlet øl, er denne sagen.

unclemattie (4357) - Georgia, USA - AUG 31, 2008
Big 700ml "Anchor" bottle. Light copper color, white foam. Technically, this should be listed as a Mild Ale, but taste it and you will believe it is a Premium Bitter... Quiet scent of malt. Distant hints of malty WonderBread. Slight fruit, even some Darjeeling Tea. Flavor is light, crisp, refreshing. Clean. Some bread, light hop bitterness. It really is a Foghorn Jr. This is exactly how I imagined it to be. Finishes like a Pale European Lager. Crisp hop florals, refeshing malt character. For the style it is a wonderful beer. Superb offering from Anchor Brewing. If I only had a Surf n Turf Plate, mmm steak and lobster.

mgoy (344) - New York, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2008
From a bottle at Hop Leaf in Chicago. I drank this during a dinner with Graham, Tara and John during my first vacation. Anchor Small Beer is a cloudy copper color with a steady off-white head. Whitle the aroma is faint at best, the flavor is very nice. This is a beer that I could drink all day in the sun and enjoy thuroughly. I also find it fun and interesting to try a bitter. I like the history behind the brew.

Ethereal (2421) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAR 23, 2009
Bottle from Utobeer, drunk at home with tashi, 19th March 09. Deepish amber, quite carbonated. Surprisingly hoppy. Very drinkable and rather under-rated looking at the scores here. A refreshing English-esque beer that you can quaff all day.

Taverner (1100) - San Ramon, California, USA - APR 20, 2010
As far as Bitters go, this is my favorite. It’s, what?, 3% and yet it has enough hoppage to stand up next to any Pale Ale. It’s bitter, for sure, but notes of leaves on a fall day, toast in the morning and light nuts. Flavor is a little sweet, but I don’t get the hate for this excellent Low Alcohol Bitter.

arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 10, 2012
22oz bottle from a recent trade, thanks to whomever sent me this! I poured most of this into a 17oz mug and it looks good, amber color, good head. The smell was kind of average, smells like beer, not much else to say. The flavor was a little bitter and actually pretty good for such a low ABV. I killed this pretty fast. I wouldn’t buy this again but its a perfect beer for the afternoon. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 04-03-2011 03:35:48

Grzesiek79 (4380) - Radom, POLAND - MAY 15, 2013
Dobre choc malo wyraziste aromat chmielny niewatpliwie jest. Piana spora ale do polowy opada a reszta jej sie jakos trzyma. Posmak drewniano zywiczny i wytrawny i gozki slad pozostawia w ustach i na podniebieniu. Kolor ciemno pomaranczowy. Delikatne piwo nisko alkocholowe ale w sporej i smuklej butelce.