overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 571   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.69/5   EST. CALORIES: 99   ABV: 3.3%
The tradition of brewing two distinct beers from one mash has existed for thousands of years, and for centuries the term "small beer" was used in English to describe the lighter and weaker second beer. We make our Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale from the rich first runnings of an all-malt mash, and Anchor Small Beer is our attempt to duplicate the "small beers" of old by sparging that same mash: sprinkling warm water over the Old Foghorn mash after the first wort has run off, thereby creating a second, lighter brew from the resulting thinner wort. We believe you will find Anchor Small Beer delicious—similar to what modern brewers call a "bitter"—and we hope you will also enjoy the idea of reviving an ancient brewing tradition, which is something of great importance.

Lagunitasfan (1323) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 28, 2010
22 oz bottle. Good news it’s cheap, and abv is low so you could drink a few if needed. The bad news is I wouldn’t want to drink much of it at all. Golden amber with white head. Nose is yeasty, lightly sweet with a light lager like bitterness. Kinda skunky. Taste is about the same as all listed. Light pungency, light fruity sweetness. Not good. Thing cross between Heineken and Budweiser.

phishpond417 (2088) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 3, 2010
Yeah it’s pretty terrible. Even for my swill accustomed palate as of late. Amber, lots of carbonation, little froth, decent lacing. Immediate corn and sweet malt. Big turn off. Taste is third world pale lager. Too bad, make this into a malt liquor Fritz!!

hopscotch (11420) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JUL 1, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2009 This beer was my first small beer. It was my first "drain-pour" in quite sometime. Horrible, thin and bitter from start to finish. Maybe my bottle was off. I don’t even want to give it another chance. Bought it at Sam’s in Chicago, IL. Horrible!

ztrvz (218) - st paul, Minnesota, USA - DEC 7, 2003
booooooooooooooring. i'd probably rather drink pepsi one, unless the beer was offered for free. sort of like soda water with the essense of burnt toast.

dornoy (701) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 18, 2005
Low white head on an amber body. If any beer should be called "bitter", this is a good candidate. The taste was very bitter, and I couldn’t really find any attractive taste in it. Good for the experience, but I wont’t have any of it again.

chilehead (186) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - NOV 10, 2006
Dry, light, boring. Nothing much interesting here, still better than bud tho.

brstp (201) - - JAN 10, 2007
Is this really an Anchor? Color is gold, almost neon gold, not much aroma. Taste is dangerously close to a 40, sour, grainy, mouthfeel is a little too thick for this caliber of beer.

puggy211 (712) - cordova, Tennessee, USA - SEP 7, 2007
bottle,light brown,malty grain ,breadnose,weird bitter taste.not good at all.

Doon (109) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JAN 12, 2008
I’m speechless...purchased/drank this at city beer in SF as I had not seen it before....I understand they use the dregs of the old Foghorn, but this one smells & tastes like someone wrung out a rotten dish rag into the bottle. Give me a BMC anyday over this one...Note to Anchor: just because you can "recycle" beer ingredients doesn’t mean you should...

BOSSbrewer (2705) - Arkansas, USA - JUL 5, 2013
Weak. Not a good beer. Not worth spending money on. Meh. Had with micro boss guys.