overall
RATINGS: 709   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Anchor Steams roots go back to the Gold Rush, long before icehouses and modern refrigeration made traditional lagers a viable California option. In 1876, thanks to an ice pond in the mountains and a belief that anything is possible in the Golden State, a little brewery named Boca created Californias first genuine lager. Anchor California Lager is our re-creation of this historic American beer. Made in San Francisco with two-row California barley, Cluster hops (the premier hop in 19th-century California), and our own lager yeast, this all-malt brew is krusened and lagered in our cellars. Its golden color, distinctive aroma, creamy head, balanced depth of flavor, and smooth finish make Anchor California Lager a delicious celebration of Californias unique craft brewing heritage. The California grizzly bear on our Anchor California Lager label is from a woodcut by Durbin Van Vleck (18331898), courtesy of The Bancroft Library, UC Berkeley. First published in 1856 in San Francisco, it is a superbly crafted rendering of an original illustration by Charles Christian Nahl (18181878), who had painted both eastbound and westbound versions of this bear. Nearly a century later, Nahls bear served as inspiration for the design of the bear on Californias modern state flag. Although that bear is heading west, our bearlike the bear on Boca Brewings historic lager labelis heading east.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Prufrockstar (2038) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 15, 2015
In which I live up to the first half of my RB name.

So tonight I figured Id hit Mikkeller for dinner and a beer or two. I head over there at 6:00 and the place is fucking packed, and Im like, "nope, not waiting in a line to spend too much on beer." So I went back to my hotel, watched some football, talked to my family, and ironed my poster for tomorrow. By 8:30 Im thinking I should give food another go, and since I dont have a better plan I go back to Mikkeller again. I dont even know why -- theres nothing on draft Im dying to try and I dont even like the place to tell you the truth. But whatever, Im in a rut, so I head back. And its less busy now ... but still way too busy. So Im all "fuck this, Im gonna go get food somewhere else," and I head into the Tenderloin in search of food. I never found any, but I found something better -- Emperor Nortons Boozeland. This place is chill, and even though there are no empty spots at the first bar around the other side is mostly empty. I stake out a spot and order this beer. And its fucking great. Cold, crisp, refreshing, crushable. I could drink this all night. Seriously, the feeling drinking this is that its the best beer Ive had all trip, and that says something considering I was at Russian River and City Beer yesterday. Now all thats missing is somebody to talk to. Im sitting all alone in my own little corner of the bar (while still being *at* the bar ... just half behind a wall). And so Im sitting there, crushing this fucking great beer that I could drink all night, staring off into a corner thinking about what an introverted weirdo Ive turned out to be, when out of nowhere a guy in an ill-fitting suit walks over to me, and says, "hey ... you here all alone? I dont want to impose, I mean, who knows, maybe this what you want to do. But Im here with a bunch of people, we just had a work christmas party, and were all on the other side of that wall -- you know, if you want to hang out and talk to people." I shit you not, this is what he said to me, just as Im reflecting on how lonely the night is turning out to be and my inexplicable inability to just reach out and connect with another human being. Im not sure if hes hitting on me or not, but we chat for a few minutes and it all seems cool before he reiterates the invite and heads back to his party, and Im thinking this sounds like it could be exactly what tonight needs. The bartender sees my empty glass and asks if I want another, to which I reply, "I ... dont know. Maybe? ... No, think Ill call it a night."

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jjsint (2576) - Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, ENGLAND - DEC 11, 2015
Bottle from Artisan Tap, Bedford. Light gold and clear, with a bit of full white head on top. Light grainy aroma, sharp suggestion of lime. Fresh taste with some unexpected intense bitterness toward the finish. Competent and certainly enjoyable, if not particularly exciting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fkoolen (1079) - Maastricht, NETHERLANDS - DEC 9, 2015
Taster at Anchor Brewery, San Francisco. Clear golden colour, white foamy head. Sweet, lightly acidic and nicely grainy malty lager. Medium body and carbonation.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
djoeye (4130) - Troms, NORWAY - DEC 6, 2015
Look; off white head, clear golden body. Aroma; yellow apple, leafy soft sweet hops, juicy tart cream, white bread, sweet malts. Taste; hops, appleish malts, grains, leaves - leading to a finish with coming hops. Palate; normal. Overall; lager with hops. Ok. [35.5cl br btl, abv4.9, BB.3.3.2017, [email protected] Muonio]

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Gary (1931) - Greater London, ENGLAND - NOV 20, 2015
small ass bottle. It just tasted clean and easy to drink , all the shit about effervescence in the blurb is misleasing . notes of hay , bready malts , light spicy hops , medium dry bitterness .

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
lbianchi66 (344) - FRANCE - NOV 11, 2015
Robe blonde/orange, limpide. Pas de mousse. Armes de crales et de fruits jaunes. Le houblon est bien prsent en bouche, domine le reste. Plutt courte en bouche. Une bire correcte, mais bon, je ne mattendais pas mieux dune lager.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
LazyPyro (737) - Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - NOV 4, 2015
355ml bottle. Clear golden colour with a nice long lasting creamy white head. Aroma of sweet malts, hops. Flavour is mostly the sweet malt, some spicy hops, wouldnt want it any sweeter than this. Hoppy bitterness to finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Finn (6824) - Troms, NORWAY - NOV 3, 2015
Flaske 355ml - California Lager - fra Alko Muonio drukket i Skibotn 7 Aug 15. Gyldenbrun. Lavt skum som daler raskt. Aroma av frukt & mais. Smaken det samme. Lettere trr ettersmak.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DuffMan (9741) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - NOV 3, 2015
Bottle. Clear light-medium gold, average white head that persists. Bready cereals, moderate grassy hop presence, mildly bitter finish. Nice enough, and hoppier than most alleged "pilseners" being produced these days.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Marduk (6765) - Reval, ESTONIA - OCT 26, 2015
330ml bottle (Viking Line). Clear amber color. Small size, white head, stays. Sweet, warm malts, bready, honey?, some herbal notes in aroma. Very malty, spicy hops, some herbal tones in taste. Malts and spicy hops in aftertaste. Soft carbonation. Messy and harsh to drink.