overall
RATINGS: 704   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Anchor Steams roots go back to the Gold Rush, long before icehouses and modern refrigeration made traditional lagers a viable California option. In 1876, thanks to an ice pond in the mountains and a belief that anything is possible in the Golden State, a little brewery named Boca created Californias first genuine lager. Anchor California Lager is our re-creation of this historic American beer. Made in San Francisco with two-row California barley, Cluster hops (the premier hop in 19th-century California), and our own lager yeast, this all-malt brew is krusened and lagered in our cellars. Its golden color, distinctive aroma, creamy head, balanced depth of flavor, and smooth finish make Anchor California Lager a delicious celebration of Californias unique craft brewing heritage. The California grizzly bear on our Anchor California Lager label is from a woodcut by Durbin Van Vleck (18331898), courtesy of The Bancroft Library, UC Berkeley. First published in 1856 in San Francisco, it is a superbly crafted rendering of an original illustration by Charles Christian Nahl (18181878), who had painted both eastbound and westbound versions of this bear. Nearly a century later, Nahls bear served as inspiration for the design of the bear on Californias modern state flag. Although that bear is heading west, our bearlike the bear on Boca Brewings historic lager labelis heading east.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
drpimento (3223) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 27, 2015
Has a huge, thick head that slowly settles and some lace with a clear amber color. Aroma is fresh pale lager beer. Flavor is a nice, balanced bittersweet with just right tang. Body is excellent. Extremely drinkable brew. I really like this!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
UncleMcHoppy (26) - Old Tappan, New Jersey, USA - AUG 18, 2013
Found a 6-pack of twelve ounce bottles in St. Simons Island, GA, of all unlikely places. Pours beautifully golden into the glass, with an excellent head. Refreshing lager taste with just the right amount of hoppiness. Goes down smooth on these hot August Dog Days. Anchor has not lost the touch! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
unclemattie (4358) - Georgia, USA - AUG 26, 2013
12oz Anchor bottle. Aroma of pale grains, earthy hops, lager esters. Flavor of sharp earthy hops, hearty grains. Finishes with notes of cardboard & hints if steamed vegetables. Smells & tastes like a Corona Extra, except better made & with better water. So good, I wish this were in bigger bottles, like a lager should be. Ugh, I love this Anchor! (3801)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
bpreo (2586) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - JUN 24, 2014
I have never met an Anchor beer that I did not absolutely love. They really are the best brewery in California, and maybe even more. This beer is inspired by an 1876 batch of brew made by Boca Brewery, a California brewery that made the states first Lager by harnessing the power of a frozen mountain pond. The beer is amazing. Get it at all costs.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
americanpm (2) - Beaverton, Oregon, USA - JUN 2, 2013 does not count
From a 12 oz. bottle, pours a beautiful light golden color with a fluffy white head. Aroma of sweet malt and light hops with a nice lager yeast character. Light mouthfeel with an appropriate amount of carbonation. Flavor of soft malt and delicate hops lead to a subtle sulphur lager finish. Great summer beer. It's too bad it's only available in Cali. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FaithHealer1 (358) - SCOTLAND - AUG 16, 2013
Bottle from the Anchor Brewery - thanks Dad! Pours a clear straw yellow, good couple of fingers of pillowy head. Aroma is floral and grassy, with a little perfume, a touch of Ribena and just a hint of caramel. Taste is genuinely wonderful - light floral hops with blackcurrant juice, grass and perfume. Slightly sweet, but quite dry on the finish. Pretty full body, just the right CO2 sparkle and really refreshing. Even the bottle label looks great. Honestly, probably my favourite lager, I just cant fault it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
PorterPotty (2) - - JUN 6, 2014 does not count
Perfect beer for drinking to maintain. I keep thinking that Ill grow tired of drinking this, but I havent yet. Keep doing what you do Anchor!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ronaldtheriot (1820) - Laplace, Louisiana, USA - JUN 30, 2014
Anchor California Lager (canned version) has a thick, off-white head, a clear, bubbly, golden appearance, and heavy lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of malt, with a noticeable hop zing. Taste is of sweet barley malt and fairly significant hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Anchor California Lager finishes crisp, refreshing, and highly drinkable. RJT
Earlier Rating: 2/11/2014 Total Score: 3
Anchor California Lager has a thin-to-medium white head, a clear, bubbly, gold appearance, and essentially no lacing left behind. The aroma is of bright, bursting, pungent barley malt and grain sugar. Taste is of sweet barley malt, sugar, a touch of honey, and a low background bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and a bit slick, and Anchor California Lager finishes mostly dry, easy drinking, and a bit dull. Overall, this is very good, but I dont think it is worth the price ($9.99 a six-pack). Michelob, at around $11.99 for a 12-pack, would be the better option. Plus, its more flavorful than this one. RJT

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Prufrockstar (2015) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 15, 2015
In which I live up to the first half of my RB name.

So tonight I figured Id hit Mikkeller for dinner and a beer or two. I head over there at 6:00 and the place is fucking packed, and Im like, "nope, not waiting in a line to spend too much on beer." So I went back to my hotel, watched some football, talked to my family, and ironed my poster for tomorrow. By 8:30 Im thinking I should give food another go, and since I dont have a better plan I go back to Mikkeller again. I dont even know why -- theres nothing on draft Im dying to try and I dont even like the place to tell you the truth. But whatever, Im in a rut, so I head back. And its less busy now ... but still way too busy. So Im all "fuck this, Im gonna go get food somewhere else," and I head into the Tenderloin in search of food. I never found any, but I found something better -- Emperor Nortons Boozeland. This place is chill, and even though there are no empty spots at the first bar around the other side is mostly empty. I stake out a spot and order this beer. And its fucking great. Cold, crisp, refreshing, crushable. I could drink this all night. Seriously, the feeling drinking this is that its the best beer Ive had all trip, and that says something considering I was at Russian River and City Beer yesterday. Now all thats missing is somebody to talk to. Im sitting all alone in my own little corner of the bar (while still being *at* the bar ... just half behind a wall). And so Im sitting there, crushing this fucking great beer that I could drink all night, staring off into a corner thinking about what an introverted weirdo Ive turned out to be, when out of nowhere a guy in an ill-fitting suit walks over to me, and says, "hey ... you here all alone? I dont want to impose, I mean, who knows, maybe this what you want to do. But Im here with a bunch of people, we just had a work christmas party, and were all on the other side of that wall -- you know, if you want to hang out and talk to people." I shit you not, this is what he said to me, just as Im reflecting on how lonely the night is turning out to be and my inexplicable inability to just reach out and connect with another human being. Im not sure if hes hitting on me or not, but we chat for a few minutes and it all seems cool before he reiterates the invite and heads back to his party, and Im thinking this sounds like it could be exactly what tonight needs. The bartender sees my empty glass and asks if I want another, to which I reply, "I ... dont know. Maybe? ... No, think Ill call it a night."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drmet (850) - Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, GERMANY - NOV 26, 2016
L: -pours a clear golden-amber with a big,foamy,white head -high carbonation visible S: -honey,vanilla,biscuity,marzipan,spic potatoes T: -honey,spicy,biscuity,grassy,grapefr to high bitterniss for the style F: -medium,soft carbonation -light to medium body O: A Bomb-ass Lager. Very Czech in Character, it can keep up with the best Euro Examples.