overall
RATINGS: 597   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42/5   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
A full body, ambrosial maltiness, and an arousing hoppy bite. This beer is not for the light beer drinker or those desiring no aftertaste.
Note: Formerly known as Belk's ESB.

drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - OCT 16, 2002
This is a very good brewery, but the ESB fell short. Appropriately hoppy but kind of a strange taste to it. I must admit...I am not aroused as the label promised me I would be. I do desire aftertaste and lots of it, but not if it is unpleasant. Good beer, but not by Anderson Valley standards.

schm1005 (151) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 16, 2002
This beer has a different hop flavor than most ESBs than I am used to. Not a classic ESB, good but not great. I was expecting more and left wanting more.

austinpowers (2832) - San Francisco, California, USA - OCT 15, 2002
A Nut ESB! Interesting. Tastes like something Rogue would come up with. Wears on me a bit after awhile, but overall nice.

KingPinHead (390) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - OCT 9, 2002
Interesting aroma--clear malt tones with a floral hoppiness above that has an almost minty quality to it...Attractive copper-gold color---head quite light but nice sheet-lace...Flavor has a finely-judged hop front with fruity (mostly citrus) edges. Light sweetness to the malt base that blends seamlessly with the hop character. Finish is both lightly fruity and tangy-dry---most unusual. It has the quality of some brews I've had that use the whole hop flower, but the effect displays a subtlety that I like very much. For a fairly potent brew, it has a medium-light mouthfeel quite appropriate for a bitter, though this is by no means a classic bitter. Its divergence from convention is, in this case, cause to drink it...I like this very much.

herbstress3 (221) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - OCT 9, 2002
Very interesting ESB with an odd flavor. Difficult to classify this taste but pretty nice head.

softale (188) - Michigan, USA - OCT 8, 2002
Not a bad ESB. I just didn't think it tasted much like an ESB. It was more of a cross between an APA and a barleywine. Sweeter than an ESB should be IMO. It's still a very drinkable ale just not a "classic" ESB.

Dogbrick (13520) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 17, 2002
I don't think this was as good as Fuller's ESB, and it didn't come close to the Crooked River version, but it was still a decent beer. Amber/orange color with a thin head. Big hops aroma with faint citrus as well. Bitter flavor with a dry finish, hops was prevalent throughout which is a must in any ESB if you ask me. Worth getting again some day.

morty99 (371) - Maryland, USA - SEP 10, 2002
Unusually strong ESB with an even more unusual aftertaste, unfortunately unpleasent!

Braudog (6803) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - SEP 2, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 8, 2003 Re-Rate: Amber color with big poofy head. Big time dry hoppiness here, with a hint of yeast caramel.

MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 24, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 2, 2003 Orange-amber color, frothy off-white head that leaves a nice sticky lace in my glass. Bready and citrusy aromas, bready caremel flavors, medium to full bodied with a somewhat rough mouthfeel, a bit unbalanced yet tasty. The hops really stand out in the end with a bitter finish, not bad.