overall
RATINGS: 599   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   IBU: 17   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
New Commercial Description: Brewed in a cloistered nook of remote Anderson Valley, this handcrafted Belgian-style strong ale may be the closest you’ll ever get to heaven on earth. Made in very limited quantity, it is malty, tangy and a little wild, it is sure to raise your spirits. We suffered to brew this enormously complex beer so that you can enjoy it completely guilt free.

Original Commercial Description: Brewed at the Anderson Valley Brewing Company by David Keene, the owner of the legendary San Francisco beer-bar, Toronado, this double-style ale features the huge fruit flavors combined with yeastiness and spiciness that Belgian ales are known for.
Brewed from malted barley, hops, water, demerara sugar, and special trappist yeast.

MALTS:
Pale Two-Row, Munich (20L), Aromatic, Special B, Chocolate (415L)

HOPS:
Columbus, Saaz, Goldings

mrhoppy (1196) - Santa Clara, California, USA - NOV 22, 2011
This beer was excellent. It was so good I practically drank the whole thing before I rated it. Spicy, caramel, toasty, rich, smooth, perfect. I was going to rate this lower and then I asked myself where does this beer not measure up? It’s awesome and I will make it a regular. If I had to give it a knock I would say that It would be more appealing cloudy in appearance like Chimay.

HellesBunny666 (244) - Virginia, USA - MAR 23, 2014
Delicious aromas of spices, sugar and dried fruit. Dark brown and reddish color. Deep intense flavors of caramelized figs and raisins. Toffee, caramel, fermented berries. Lots of things going on with this beer, I really really enjoy everything about it!

Dynamind69 (29) - San Miguel, California, USA - JUL 6, 2007
This is an excellent brew.I like everything about it except the price.It has an incredible palate,leaves your mouth watering and wanting more.Very nice aroma like a ripe apple,tastes like sweet plum with hints of dates.I would buy this for a special occasion.A very rich tasting brew.

msalsbury (62) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - SEP 1, 2014
I’ll start by saying "Wow!" I love this beer. The color is a nice dark brown. The aroma has the usual Belgian malty, sweet, fruity, and spicy notes to it. The flavor matches up to that. Belgian spice is a dominant flavor, with a rich caramel sweet malt backdrop. The 9% alcohol content lends a touch of warmth but isn’t burning. To my taste it’s a nearly perfect beer.

BlackEyePA (574) - USA - SEP 3, 2012
Great. First the aroma is dry fruit esters, dark leather and wild yeast. Appearance is dark brown, filtered light head. Taste is wild yeasts, slight sour, rich full body, and mouthfeel, lots of big flavors, banana, cereal, dough, rasin, palate is clean but grainy and leftover esters. Overall its complex, full, rich malty goodness that was made just like the monks do up in Belgium. Super yummy, try it