RATINGS: 1138   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 6   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Each year, when people are starting to unpack their winter clothes and replenish their firewood, our tiny brewery in the coastal redwoods of Northern California makes seasonal preparations of a different kind. As the cold arrives, we release a unique beverage created to add warmth to even the coldest and darkest of winter’s days. Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale begins with a very high original gravity to create a hearty and spicy brew with a deep amber hue and a smooth finish. Anderson Valley Brewing Company wishes you the very best for the holiday season and the New Year.

MALTS:
Pale Two-Row, Crystal (40L and 80L), Munich (20L)

HOPS:
Northern Brewer, Liberty

wheninhell (488) - chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 20, 2006
pours fairly thick dark red with a tan head. interesting aroma. sweet and fruity (fake strawberries) hay cinnamon and ginger and a hint of roasted malt. quite a bit of warm alcohol in the aroma as well but it doesnt overpower anything. flavor doesnt live up to the aroma. flavor is dominated by hay with some sweet fruit and a bit of alcohol. medium body with a very dry spicy finish and mild carbonation. decent beer. i just wish the flavor would have been more balanced like the aroma.

tennisjoel (1484) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - MAR 17, 2006
Aroma is unique. I like...maybe peach or apricot, cinnamon definitely, ginger, vanilla, pretty cool. Large puffy head. Soapy texture. Very interesting taste. Vanilla and ginger are the main ingredients. I’m not sure if I’ve ever tasted a beer with this flavor before. It’s a bit cloying, but improves as you drink more. Unique for sure. Good, well maybe, as of now I can’t quite come to that conclusion. But the interesting factor makes it score higher than your average beer.

frankenkitty (2012) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - MAR 17, 2006
Pours a near-opaque mahogany with a tan, fizz-away head. Aroma finds juicy citrus before stale, caramel-candied malt. I’m surprised by the spiciness I encounter on the first sip, made even more shocking by the fizzy palate. Holiday spice evens out to a familiar flavor of <a href=http://www.groovycandies.com/V2ProdDetail1.as Vanilla Royals ( my mom used to love those). Once I taste the vanilla, I can detect it in the aroma. Alcohol appears late and has a drying effect. Interesting and festive, but vanilla isn’t tops on my list of beer additives.

<font size=-4>Purchased at <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Chicago, IL 60638<font size=-1>

murawski (160) - USA - MAR 4, 2006
Draft. Dark brown thick color. The aroma had a note of something very odd, like fennel or licorice or something (strange herb scent) -- got me off on the wrong foot from the start. Flavor is a fairly complex range from sweet vanilla-caramel to a slight bite, although the palate left me unimpressed (watery). Overall, not bad.

weepingsuds (223) - Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - MAR 2, 2006
Once again I have been smitten with t he spiced herb brew. Beautiful texture and hey how about that pour. Look how am I supposed to put this simply. This brewery makes kick ass beers and this is definitly no exception. A little vanilla a little holiday spice and hell Christmas aint so bad afterall.

smcd (366) - USA - FEB 27, 2006
It pains me to rate anything from AVBC so low, particularly since this is my wife’s favorite beer. But, there’s no accounting for taste. Aroma of vanilla. Beautiful, bright amber. Decent head. Palate is wonderful. But it is just so full of vanilla that nothing else comes through. For some, ’twill be a great beer -- it has lots of good qualites ... but for others, the vanilla will kill it every time.

warriorx99 (85) - USA - FEB 25, 2006
This is a dark copper beer with a malty smell. It’s medium bodied and overall pretty average in taste with a yeasty after taste.

xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 21, 2006
I think I got the last bottle of this left at any of the stores in my expanded region. And so far my Andersons (namesake beer) have been less than worthy, but this one actually smells pretty nice, spicy, gingery, molasses, baking sugar-spice cookies, and its’s one of those nice wintery murky red brown jobbies with a sparse coating of bubbles descended from a once small head on top. It’s got a different, appropriately wintry (unlike many seasonals I’ve had this year) flavor - spice cookies, berry decorations, potpurri, maybe there’s even a hint of eggnog-vanilla hiding in there. It’s not perfect, the malt and alcohol taste a little funny mixed in there, somewhat off balance. But it certainly serves the purpose of being a little warming, plenty festive, and having a good dollop of flavor. Modestly bitter, earthy, woody finish. 2005 vintage.

BrewKrew (29) - bellevue, Kentucky, USA - FEB 21, 2006
2004 bottle. Cloudy amber in appearance. Slight vanilla and fruit (plum) aroma. At the begining big in caramel, with fruit in the middle, & finishing off with light fruit & vanilla. being aged for two years it has lost alot of its spicyness.

JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - FEB 16, 2006
Light ruby red color with medium sized tan head. Aroma is very malty and crisp, biscuty, touches of vanilla, cinnamon, hint of black pepper, and maybe (?) a touch of citrusy hops. Flavor is sharp, acidic, with a slight tang