RATINGS: 1139   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 6   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Each year, when people are starting to unpack their winter clothes and replenish their firewood, our tiny brewery in the coastal redwoods of Northern California makes seasonal preparations of a different kind. As the cold arrives, we release a unique beverage created to add warmth to even the coldest and darkest of winter’s days. Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale begins with a very high original gravity to create a hearty and spicy brew with a deep amber hue and a smooth finish. Anderson Valley Brewing Company wishes you the very best for the holiday season and the New Year.

MALTS:
Pale Two-Row, Crystal (40L and 80L), Munich (20L)

HOPS:
Northern Brewer, Liberty

dmschefke's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
dmschefke (583) - Macomb, Michigan, USA - MAY 4, 2012
Can. I tried to filter through a few other ratings to see if my thoughts were seen by others also, but I couldn’t find any. My impression of this brew was dominated by wet cardboard that I get from IPAs that are past their prime. I had a lot of trouble getting past that, so I guess I am going to have to try this fresh next year.

melush (4689) - SPAIN - OCT 29, 2017
35,5cl Bottle @ Cervezas Online.com, Massalfassar, Spain. Amber colour with a thin white head. Aroma is malt, sweet, toffee, fruits. Taste is malt, caramel, hints of raisins and spices. Medium body, average carbonation.

Bill Becker (1773) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 19, 2017
From Mar 2007 Pours from 12oz bottle a clear amber with a smallish head of foam that shrinks quickly and leaves completely for I finish my session. The smell is a nice mix of sweet malt and some spices. The taste has a strong caramel malt, roasted malt and bread flavour to it and it's quite thick in body. Dang, this is a great tasting Winter Warmer. After the first sip, I thought the sweetness was starting to be a bit much but then there's an underlying presence of hop bitterness that tames the sweetness nicely. A few more sips in and I'm getting some spice, maybe cinnamon and nutmeg? Very good stuff! Oh, and there's a tad bit of warming as it goes down... Bottom line: A very good example of the style indeed. I see it as a must try. Thanks to Wasatch for this sample!

bshep (157) - - SEP 25, 2017
Kinda dry. Kind of boring, nothing special...........................................

higgsbison (264) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 20, 2017
Very different. Strong spice notes but I have no idea what spices they used. Interesting and drinkable. I liked it very much. I need to get more ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Zilb (379) - Fontenay Sous Bois, FRANCE - SEP 10, 2017
A DLC. Ambree presque rouge petite mousse tenue moyenne et carbo nulle. Ar�me d'alcool et de fruits exotiques En bouche sur le caramel, l'alcool et une pointe de houblons. Un peu dans le style barley wine mais plus l�g�re. Pas mal mais pas dans le style attendus : trop vieille ?

1.2
akranger (2) - - JUL 9, 2017 does not count
Nauseating sweet syrup, turns the stomach. Bought six pack at the brewery store, never finished even two cans. It’s truly awful, avoid it.

mgajdaczewa (2283) - Katowice, POLAND - MAR 23, 2017
W aromacie dużo karmelu, ziemistości, słodkich nut miodowych. Tak samo w smaku, karmel, ziemia, miód. Nuda, panie.

Bulk_Carrier (6065) - Vermont, USA - MAR 6, 2017
Treated as an English strong ale, as I believe that’s what the brewer intended, this was poured into a snifter. The appearance was an amber/brown color with a one finger white foamy head that faded quickly. Sly lace. The aroma had some caramel/toffee malt up front. Slight tobacco, and then some sweet pomme-like fruits to glisten the underneath. Finishes with some raisins. The flavor leads with the sweetness through the blend of the prior mentioned aromas. Malty and fruity aftertaste with a finish that seems to add a touch of vanilla. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium on the body with a fair sessionability about it. Moderate carbonation. ABV felt good for the style and what the brewer intended. Overall, I don’t see this as a spice/herb/vegetable beer. Just like the brewer says, this is closer to an English strong ale and worthy of having again.

jsnicholas (679) - Woodinville, Washington, USA - FEB 26, 2017
Tap ($6/pint). Amber/brown.One finger head that faded quickly. This beer was very fruity. I like the fruitiness of some hops, but this was almost like a cider which I am not a fan of. Also quite sweet.

madnorwegian (254) - FRANCE - FEB 10, 2017
Not a fan. One dimensional. Just sicky sweet malt. Barely any head. Don’t know how this beer is in the 85th percentile.