overall
Brewed by Spółdzielnia Pszczelarska Apis
Style: Mead
Lublin, Poland

RATINGS: 252   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   EST. CALORIES: 480   ABV: 16%
It is produced from nectar honey of delicate flavour. 1 litre of mead contains 610 g of natural honey. Its long maturation period ensures unique flavour and aroma. Dwójniak contains 16% of alcohol. The content of carefully selected spices ensures a distinct flavour and aroma. This mead is produced with the addition of blackcurrant juice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
thewolf (12491) - Kolding, DENMARK - MAR 2, 2008
Bottle @ thewolf tasting.
Pours clear golden, light film head. Aroma is mild, the honey is subdued, but there is lots of alcohol. Light fruity sourness. Oily mouthfeel, slight bit of carbonation. Flavour is vinious, very, very sweet. Lots of caramel and fruity notes amongst the honey. Far too sweet.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Jukkabro (3484) - Tampere, FINLAND - MAR 1, 2008
Golden colored, no head. Rich aroma with dominating honey and currant, alcohol comes mildly up. Medium to full bodied. Flavor is similar to aroma: currant and sweetness with honey are obvious here, aftertaste lasts with sticky sweetness and alcohol. Well, nice desert.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ryan (3186) - Beltsville, Maryland, USA - FEB 24, 2008
Clear, still, apple juice color body. Sweet nose with clover, honey, light apple and alcohol. The flavor is very sweet with lots of honey and alcohol. Full soft and sticky body is still and slightly warm.14

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
emacgee (4672) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - FEB 14, 2008
Thanks turdferguson for sharing this one. Man mead must not be my thing. This one is better than the other one I’ve had. Pours a copper gold with no head of course. The aroma is sticky sweet honey with some currant, alcohol, and a little spice. The flavor is sweet smooth honey, spice, and currant. Alcohol is too much and this is too sweet for me. Anything more than a couple of ounces is too overpowering.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TURDFERGUSON (4057) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - FEB 5, 2008
Bottle from Sam’s. Clear befuddled amber with no head. Rich alcoholic nose with some sweet honey under it, but mainly just alcohol which really turns me off. Flavor is less harsh than expected, with rich honey flavor and a mild black current aftertaste, Pretty good and warming, but not my favorite cup of tea.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Edmoe (241) - Orlando, Florida, USA - JAN 13, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2008 Deep copper, almost mahogany color. Aroma is honey, spice, and alcohol. Taste is the same except the honey is sweeter than expected from aroma. Quite good and, at half the cost of Jadwiga, a bargain.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Magjayran (1378) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 1, 2008
So it’s New Year’s Eve and everyone has their own bottle of bubbles and even more folks are rocking cans and bottles of cheap suds or high end IPAs. Rebel yells fill the house as the hour approaches. I’m having fun but I’m also a nerd. I need a glass. I need to rate. Even at a party. I get the bottle open with the aid of a pocket knife for the foil and a corkscrew for the cork. Before the beverage is even poured I can smell alcohol and cassis. I pour some for myself, I pour shots full for others. The faces of my friends is the most enjoyable part of this mead. Much more enjoyable than the puzzled looks I get as I write this down in a kitchen at a raging party. One person cringes another seems pleased. They all doubt my ability to work through the rest of the bottle. I succeed. Sweet and thick with loads of honey and berry flavors. Not completely unlike a Lees Harvest but still obviously a different genre of drink. Today the combination of this bottle and many cheaper less noteworthy bottles fills my head with rocks. I’d say it was worth it. The last notes I took of 2007 becomes my first rating of 2008. Onwards towards 1000!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
yngwie (16990) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - DEC 31, 2007
Bottle, 75cl. (RBNAG 07) Considering it’s high score, and it’s wonderful cousin Poltorak Jadwiga, I had high expectations for this one. The weren’t fullfilled. It looks nice, with a clear, golden body, but from there on, something is missing. The nose has honey, some heather and alcohol, but it’s far from outstanding. The flavor is honey-sweet and sugary, with some flowery notes, but still just a little better than mediocre. I also find it a bit too heathery and bitter. It has a quite full body. I may have sounded too harsh now, because it’s a really nice mead, but as mentioned, it disappointed me. (071103)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
fiulijn (20321) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 22, 2007
Beautiful amber color. Very nice aroma of mountain honey. Sweet and well balanced, with a sweet caramel taste and very light herbs and pine needles. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
gunnfryd (14742) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - DEC 11, 2007
Bottle at RBNAG 07. Dark golden colour with no head. Aroma is alcohol, honey, sweet. Flavour is sweet, honey, alcohol, heather. Nice mead.