overall
RATINGS: 152   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Oatmeal and 20 pounds of fresh roasted coffee from the Ugly Mug Cafe contribute to a mildly chalky espresso character balanced by a rich, sweet, creamy maltiness. coffee finish dissolves into chocolate with a slight roasty bitterness. Brewed with 100% fair-trade coffee from the Ugly Mug Café and Roastery in Ypsilanti, MI. Pairs well with desserts, especially dark chocolate, raspberries, and cheesecake.

Hudspart (538) - Byron Center, Michigan, USA - FEB 23, 2008
Bottle: Pours fairly black with almost no head. Slight aroma of chocolate and coffee (both barely noticable). Smooth drinking (not necessarily a compliment). Not bad.

pforei (338) - USA - FEB 15, 2008
On tap at Hop Devil. Black with thin and minute head. Aroma of coffee and chocolate. Flavor of bitter and acidic black coffee and chocolate. I didn’t pick up the oats or lactose. Thin and flat.

hopdog (12510) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 6, 2008
12oz bottle acquired in trade with hoppymeal (thanks!). Poured a dark, dark brown color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of coffee, roast, chocolate, caramel, and oats. Tastes of coffee, oats, and caramel. Has a light tart finish.

Tilley4 (218) - Huron, Tennessee, USA - JAN 24, 2008
I didn’t think this one was going to be as bad as the reviews that I’ve read indicated. I was wrong. It’s worse. Looked the part with a pitch black pour and huge head. Really looked good. Smelled sort of funny with a sharp acrid wang to it. Man, after two sips, I had to throw this out. I try to be constructive on my reviews but this was just awful. Watery mouthfeel with an awful sour/old coffee taste to it. I won’t be having this one again.

badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JAN 21, 2008
pretty basic for a coffee stout..aroma of fresh-brewed coffee and chocolate..flavor is a muted, watered down version of what i expected from the aroma...a tad thin and oddly sour...not bad, but a step below its competition

jeffwilliams11 (310) - hooterville, Michigan, USA - JAN 19, 2008
smells good. looks good. tastes like crap. aroma is that of a nice cup of strong coffee from your local bistro....flavor is that of truck stop sludge that has been left on the burner to ferment. my wife loves it off tap, but bottle is definately not my thing.

CheesedMan (555) - Saint Cloud, Florida, USA - JAN 17, 2008
Thanks for sharing SoLan. The initial aroma is sweet coffee and a decent roastiness. The flavor is simply unbearable for me, there is an off putting acidity that reminds me of coffee that has been allowed to sit for far too long. Simply not my thing.

SoLan (1550) - Florida, USA - JAN 17, 2008
Courtesy Styles. Dark brown/black with a quickly disappearing, small tan head. Aroma of fresh roasted coffee, bittersweet roasted malt, and a bit of an acidic twang. Acidity takes over the flavor and not in a good way. The malt and the coffee take a back seat. Medium body, carbonation is just a bit less than balanced. The aidity is overpowering.

Hollywoodt (240) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - DEC 29, 2007
12 oz. bottle. Poured a dark brown color with no head at all. The aroma on this was amazing... fantastic coffee, with a little malt, as well. Unfortunately, the rest wasn’t so good. The flavor was sour, kind of tart, and just not good at all. Add to that this had almost no carbination. Disappointing, because the aroma has you believing it will be fantastic.

MrBunn (2826) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 25, 2007
Bottle. An explosion of foam right out of the gates makes me wonder a little about whether this is spoiled or not. It covers a blackish body (and the floor of the kitchen) and releases coffee and roasty aromas. There is also a bit of smoke and peat. Flavor has a bit of a sourness to it (maybe not the freshest bottle?) but is not completely gone, and I kind of like the mixture of sour and stout notes. There is also a bit of a sweetness to it (vanilla & cream?). I think I’ll have to try this again later.