overall
RATINGS: 432   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Brewed in tradition of Englishstyle barley wines, Cereal Killer offers an explosion of full-bodied, liquid goodness. Robust malty flavors converge with caramel, toffee, molasses and dark fruit notes to produce a remarkably complex yet palate-pleasing beer. Its intense malt character is complemented by a subtle citrus finish from the hops. With cellar-aging Cereal Killer’s flavor evolves further, developing a sherry-like aroma and flavor similar to a cask-aged port. Winner of the Gold Medal for Wood and Barrel-Aged Strong Beers at 2009 GABF.

WakeandBake (549) - Greenville, Michigan, USA - MAR 13, 2010
Bottle. A deep dark red color pour with a big lasting fluffy white head leaving lots of sticky lacing , medium carbonation . Aroma of dark caramel , rasins , molasis, spicy hops and maybe cherries. Flavor is of sweet brown shugar , caramel , molasis,spicy floral hops, dates,rasins ,wood ,light alcohaol in the tail end , nice warming effect . Full body with a thick creamy mouthfeel , medium level of bitterness long sweet finish . Quite drinkable and went down good dispite the sweetness . A very good offering from a great brewery Nice .

Hudspart (538) - Byron Center, Michigan, USA - MAR 19, 2011
Bottle: Pours dark amber with small head. Very sweet flavor. Flavor of sugar. Good.

bblack99 (527) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - JUL 23, 2009
On tap for one keg only at Flying Saucer in KC. Deep brown with a reddish tint and a thin, dense off-white head covering. The alcohol isn’t hidden all than well, I suppose that’s a good thing in a barleywine. Alcohol, lots of sweetness in an almost brown sugar-style richness. Thick maltiness, but not overly roasted.

carl4beer (522) - Fairfax Station, Virginia, USA - JAN 14, 2008
pours a ruddy brown with a nice tan head. aroma needs some time to come out. is sweet and malt with some of the abv coming through.mouthful is a little zesty with a sweet malt body. little bit of a bitter i the finnish. not to inspiring for the big style...

RespertFTW (521) - Michigan, USA - MAY 12, 2013
Bottle. Nice clear brown color. Enjoyable taste but borders on having too much alcohol flavor/burn

scoobyluv (511) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - MAY 10, 2007
amber color. smells sweet. tastes like yeast & raisins. I’m kinda digging it

Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - APR 17, 2014
$3.99 single. Bottled 1/17/13. Poured 2/07/14 into the only clean glass I had, a shaker pint. Maybe it being a year past its bottling date was why this was $4 for a single? Who knows. My first ENGLISH Barleywine, though I’ve had a few American varieties. Appearance: A really hazy, thick, brown and red color. Sort of almost like the color of the bottle itself. No head to really speak of, but a decent amount of lacing, and a ring of foam on top of the beer. Smell: Oh, well... yeah. Big malty sweetness that you’d expect in an English barleywine. Dark fruits. Bunch of caramel malt. Almost a wet wood aroma in there as well. Pretty nice. Taste/feel: Actually a bit thin compared to other Barleywines I’ve had, but not TOO thin. A sort of tangy quality is also definitely in this beer, presumably from the yeast. Big caramel malt and sweetness before the alcohol warming finish and biscuit-like after taste. As for actual alcohol flavor, I don’t really get one, but someone could probably guess this beer is at least 10% by the feel of it alone. I hadn’t had a Barleywine in a loooong time, so I decided to try this one. It’s pretty good. $4 for a single bottle seemed a bit high, but when I looked at it, the beer was bottled over a year ago. Unless Arcadia bottles this beer and keeps it around before shipping them? Whatever the case, that may explain why this beer’s alcohol is quite nicely mellowed out. I wasn’t the hugest fan of Barleywines (which is why I went so long without buying one), but now I think I’m changing my stance. I enjoy the insane amount of malt flavor, the slight tanginess, and the warmth in my belly from this one. The feel could maybe use a little work, but the amount of sweetness is spot on -- any more and this beer would be cloying. I’d be very interested in buying another one and cellaring it for about five years or so. The only real flaw I have with this brew is that it could use some more flavor depth... I could find that in the BBA version if I could get my hands on it. Try this one out.

grandet (501) - Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 4, 2007
Bottle. Cloudy brown pour with a small head. Aroma is very sweet and raisonish with some dates too. Taste is very sweet with a raison background. Very brinkable. Pretty good.

AlchemistZ (493) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - JAN 18, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 28, 2011 Very dark red in color, not quite as dark as the Big Dick’s, with a voluminous, orangey-tan head. Aroma is densely caramel-like but not necessarily sweet or intense. Flavor is much like the aroma. It is not very complex, but it is rich and satisfying, and very well balanced.

chronictonic (472) - Oreland, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 26, 2008
On tap - Capone’s - May 2008 (2007 "vintage").

Mild aroma - not overpowering. Medium body and taste - not over-the-top, nor is it wimpy. Malty, viscous, sweet mouthfeel - a touch syrupy, but not overpowering. Crisp hop finish rounds out a big and juicy barleywine.