overall
RATINGS: 432   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Brewed in tradition of Englishstyle barley wines, Cereal Killer offers an explosion of full-bodied, liquid goodness. Robust malty flavors converge with caramel, toffee, molasses and dark fruit notes to produce a remarkably complex yet palate-pleasing beer. Its intense malt character is complemented by a subtle citrus finish from the hops. With cellar-aging Cereal Killer’s flavor evolves further, developing a sherry-like aroma and flavor similar to a cask-aged port. Winner of the Gold Medal for Wood and Barrel-Aged Strong Beers at 2009 GABF.

polomagnifico (1202) - Saginaw, Michigan, USA - MAR 15, 2008
Bottle, 2006 vintage. Aroma is just incredible. Notes of Dark ripe and dried fruit, port, sweet caramel, licorice, and sugar candy. Smaller than average off-white head that mostly diminished and left little lace. Dark red amber hue. Flavor is more of the same sweet fruity port-like candied nectar. Palate is full bodied and smooth. A very good barley wine that has aged very well. I’m really surprised by the other reviews of this brew, it really was top notch at this point in it’s aging. Just beautiful.

jmagnus87 (3302) - Rockford, Illinois, USA - OCT 15, 2013
Bottle sampled at a tasting. 2008 vintage. From notes. Dark fruits, caramel, a hint of chocolate and vanilla. Boozy, but this is the perfect amount of age on this bad boy. Awesome.

cathcacr (647) - Oregon, USA - FEB 21, 2007
Wow. You look up "elixir" in the dictionary just to see if this is in there, and you’ll find that your dictionaries today are outdated already. This Barley Wine is smooth, not bitingly bitter, balanced, uber-drinkable, rare for something so big and alcoholy. These hop-types and malt-combos work insanely well in this one. Oh my dear, DocLock only gave this a 3.5? C’mon, Doc! C’mon, RateBeer raters, stop following the crowd! Where am I supposed to knock this down in score? Can’t knock the apppearance, of course. You could theoretically knock its flavor for not being "intense like a Barley Wine should be," but it doesn’t have to be intense to be good. (What, it’s not "done to style" so you’re going to punish it even though it’s excellent?) I can’t knock the velvety palate. It’s got hop/malt complexity going on. The 9% ABV is insanely well-hidden. So what does it leave us to knock? When drinkability is this insane, you don’t knock it. Case closed.

Proud to be the lone maverick way-out-there high-rater on this one so far. They will come around on this one. Or else.

Hell, I’m even bumping this up mid-rating from 4.5 to 4.6, and pray I don’t alter it further.

chucklemation (1763) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - NOV 5, 2013
Murky brown color. Has a nice barley malt taste with some bitter hops thrown in the finish. Goes down smooth. Delicious.

doppelmeup (51) - Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA - JUN 10, 2008
I have to say that this is possibly the best name I have seen for a beer! Pours a rich dark amber color with a thick white head. Aromas of brown sugar, malt, some hops. It really smells good. Taste is excellent. Quite rich. Very malty and on the sweet side. Alcohol is there, lingering in the background. What I would expect from a good English Style Barleywine. Mouthfeel is rich and warming. No doubt that this is a strong beer, but it goes down very easily. Overall one of the best barleywines I have tried. I prefer the English style to the American style, and this beer didn’t disappoint. I wish I could find this beer closer to home. I would definitely get more!

Corrinado711 (80) - - JAN 9, 2013
Aromas of prunes, fermented grapes, light booze and light malt. Appearance is deep brown with a thin team had of mostly larger bubbles. Taste is nice, light and smooth. The smoothest 10act I have ever had. Starts with a fruity sweetness of grapes and then mild booze with malt. The malt finish is longer lasting but nice. mouthfeel is a little light. awesome barley wine