overall
RATINGS: 3947   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

RagallachMC (631) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - AUG 5, 2006
bomber. Aroma: Big grapefruit, caramel, toffee. Pretty straight forward aroma. Appearance: Dark copper and clear. Off white head was full at first, but didn’t last long. Decent lacing. Flavor: Some toasted malt, caramel, and a touch of spice (cinnamon) work there way from the front, and then the hops dominate. Strong grapefruit and resinous flavors, with a touch of fresh grass. The finish is very bitter, but not unpleasantly so. Palate: Medium bodied. Carbonation seemed a bit high. Finish is nice and crisp before the bitterness kicks in. Overall: A beer worth trying, and definatly one for the hopheads. Pretty well balanced with an over the top bitter finish.

mocarmel (48) - Fortville, Indiana, USA - AUG 4, 2006
Strong citrus aroma. Amber/reddish clear color. Beer was too hoppy for my taste but was well balanced for the catagory. Bitter after taste detracted from the experience.

linc33 (184) - Albany, New York, USA - AUG 3, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2007 From a 22oz. Well balanced - hoppy without being an IPA. Extremely bitter finish. Interesting, and there must be a lot of malt in it, but doesn’t live up the hype. It’s decent, but far from exceptional. Guess I’m not worthy.

eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - AUG 3, 2006
Pours clear garnet color, medium head, aroma is citrusy hops and toffee. Tastes like grapefruit with long rindy finish under nice subtle toffee flavors, nicely balanced and confident.

beerbill (3619) - Laurel, New York, USA - AUG 2, 2006
22 oz. bottle. I was just looking over my list and I can’t believe I haven’t rated this one yet. I’ve probably got at least a dozen empties in my garage. Oh well, here goes...Pours a dark amber with a moderate long-lasting head with nice lacing. Very nice aroma of malt and grapefruit. STrong hops presence in the flavor (a bit over the top for me, but perfect for a hop-head). Bitter finish. Good stuff!

kenb (1102) - Oregon, USA - AUG 1, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2006 22 oz bottle. Deep reddish brown color. Massive head that sticks around for awhile. Lots of lace. Hoppy citrus aroma. Tastes well balanced at first, carmel, citrus, tons of hops, but well balnced within the malts. I actually like the taste, but the aftertaste is extremely arrogant and bitter. THis is a style and beer i will have to get used to, but for what it is, it is a good one. *****10/1/06 rerate***original rating was 7/4/9/2/11***My how the palette changes in the first 60 days and 200 microbrews later. I now LOVE this beer, lol..the aftertaste is weonderful....bitter but wonderful. Reminds me of a Rye Imp IPA..i know there is no rye in this, but it sure tastes like it. Great beer, IF you are worthy ;)

MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - JUL 31, 2006
on tap Dick’s 96th - Aroma of toasted carmel malts, hops, and toffee. Pours cloudy brown with small off-white head and great lacing. Flavor is a much hoppier version of the aroma. Palate is bitter and snappy. I can’t believe I haven’t rated this yet since I’ve had it many times prior. I remember it being even stronger out of the bottle and will have to revisit. In any case, a very tasty ale.

realale420 (399) - west covina, California, USA - JUL 30, 2006
22oz bottle pours nice and clear amber with a slightly off white head. Nice citrus/grapefruit aroma. Very big bitterness upfront that just gets bigger as it warms. Grapefruit hop taste that is pleasant, but a bit overpowering. Overall a good strong ale that wouldn’t mind a little age.

JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - JUL 27, 2006
22 oz. bottle. Dark copper with orangish persistent head. Very citrusy aroma. Taste is grapefruity hops and a very nice maltiness is here as well to compliment. Not too thick either.

chadje (209) - California, USA - JUL 27, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 20, 2013 It starts off good, with a decent bitter aftertaste. I have had a few times since my initial taste on tap at Yard House and at the Stone Brewery. A very complex and good beer. Rerated: Had it on tap at the Yard House in a goblet. Tasted pretty good and the strong aftertaste was enjoyable. A good dark beer that is definitely better on tap.