overall
RATINGS: 4256   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wonít like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

jake65 (3592) - Meridian, Idaho, USA - MAR 23, 2006
Lots of hops here amidst a miriad of caramel, citrus, and florals. I just loved the flow of maltiness into the finish, rich with hopiness. A little hint of smokiness in the finish as well. Great beer.

Thaichile (599) - 10aFly, New Jersey, USA - MAR 23, 2006
Tap. Pours a dark copper with a thick, off-white head. Scents of hops and malt on the nose. Very floral mixing with caramel and fruit on the palate. Citrus hop bitter smoothed over by the malt balancing act, but hops rule. Very smooth up front, but a little ragged in the finish.

gallaghermurph (54) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 23, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2007 I donít know, maybe Iím not worthy? Poured a very deep cloudy brown nutty fresh pressed apple juice. Head was two finger frothy dark tan that stuck around about four minutes before leaving a thin tan film. Did leave a very nice lacing. Aroma was caramel, dark fruit, and a nutty coffee. Flavor was initially intensly malty, and it really threw me off. Below the malt were lots of hops with lots of citrus, some sweet dark fruits, and maybe even a very sweet maple syrup. There was a tinge of spiciness, but not too pronounced. I really thought the malts were a little too much, and made me work to get to the underlying flavors, but then again, maybe thatís the point. As it warmed, I must say, the hoppy flavors, especially a deep orange came out. Finished this thing an hour ago and its still on the back of my tounge. Palate is a light cream/syrup with moderate carbonation. Thereís no question that this beerís a beast, but it really is one Iím going to have to revisit to get a true understanding of. Definitly a good brew. Iím just not sure what to make of it. Revisit 2/26/07: My ability to appreciate this one has increased significantly. While the taste has remained unchanged, Iíve gotta say I am picking up much more of an initial hop onslaught, but followed immidtaly by the sweeter flavors named above, with hops finishing things off and lingering for quite some time.

myfriendbubba (40) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - MAR 23, 2006
22 oz bomber...loads of fizz...loads of caramel...loads of resin hopss...almost oily...big huge and loved evry min. of it. Nice big mouthfeel and overall a great brewski

theacelatrain (262) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2006
Bottle. Deep red oak color, with thick, creamy, almost golden tan head. Aroma was fresh with hops but also with some sweetness, kind of maple syrupy. Hops are predictably big and lasting, with a woody maltiness. Mouthfeel is nice - heavy and creamy - and palate is interesting, with notes of caramel, flowers and citrus. Something about this combination didnít work for me though. The malts were too heavy, stifling the freshness of the hops, or something. Kind of like a good English strong ale and good IPA mashed together. Tasty, no doubt, but a little awkward.

Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 20, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2006 Are you ready for this? (Cue the 2 UnlimitedÖ.or notÖ.this isnít some poppy, mass-consumed piece of trash, this is Arrogant Bastard, for crying out loud....itís sludgy and grinds through a plodding E5 to A5 power chord progression). After drinking it, I wasnít sure if I was ready. I figured that after 500+ beers that I could anticipate what was about to pulverize my tastebuds and olfactory senses. Not so much. It took me about half a bottle but it all began to become much clearer: the upfront malty sweetness led the way straight to a smack-in-face hops explosion. What is this? I pondered. Damn good, is the response I received. By the end, this one had totally dominated me. And I didnít even know that I was into BDSM.

Gmoney (442) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 20, 2006
22 oz bomber .. dark brown/mahogany color. small beige head and a thin lace .hop and malt aroma . hops hops hops and citrus dominate flavor . at 7.2 % is does sneek up on you as its so smooth you dont notice , nice medium body good stuff

maddydaddy (6) - Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA - MAR 18, 2006 does not count
Poured from a 22oz bomber. Deep mahogany color which is difficult to see through. Foamy head that doesnít quit and sporadic non-clinging lacing. The appearance is probably the most appealing quality. Aroma starts with strong hop presence which gives way to flowery notes and finishes with citrus and malts in the background. Excellent hop dominance in the flavor. Malts and esters show up later at the middle of the tongue. Soft and silky mouthfeel. A superb ale, not for the weak palated.

TheEpeeist (3709) - Media, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 17, 2006
22 oz bottle. Deep purple with splotchy head. A milder version of the Double with hoppy Belgian nose but little more caramel sweet. Starts witth mild malt and seville orange; then builds into waves of hop bitterness. Wow! Similar to the Double but likewise needs another rating when less hammered.

AndrewM (126) - Waco (Buckle of the Bible Belt), Texas, USA - MAR 17, 2006
Hate it. My unsophisticated palate just abhors the wonderful aroma, the hops, the malt. The fluffy head and beautifully dark appearance just add to my dislike of this beer. Stuff like this should all be pulled from the shelf... and inserted in to my fridge. ;)