overall
RATINGS: 3985   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

Illini08 (542) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JUN 4, 2006
22 oz. bomber picked up for me by Duane. Poured a great looking dark crimson red with a big, yellowish head that left lots of lacing around the side of my glass. First whiff was sweet malts, but that was immediately overtaken by a barrage of hops. Taste was the same. Tons of bitter hops, and not quite enough malt there to balance it out for me. I’ve been turning into a hophead, but I guess I was a little premature in drinking this one. Still, a well made beer that I enjoyed, just not one that I would want to drink regularly.

timtheenchanta (70) - Clemson, South Carolina, USA - JUN 4, 2006
Good brown color with a surprisingly medium dark brown head. Tons of thin sticky lacing all the way down the glass. A thin head sitting on top of the beer the whole time beer is in the glass. Sweet toasted malt smell with some alcohol and hops mixed in. Hearty roasted taste with some slight fruitiness to it. Alcohol taste with hints of caramel. Not a lot of hops taste. A twangy sharp finish that leaves me a little disappointed. A great brew. Definitely worth all of the hype it receives.

AG420 (16) - USA - JUN 3, 2006
The depth of this beer is amazing. The 1st time I tried it the taste was very much overwhelming to be honest. The 2nd time however I enjoyed it to say the least. Even the smallest sip is packed with more flavor then I could discribe. Very long aftertaste, not as bitter as I thought it to be.

tauruslw33 (69) - Erie, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 3, 2006
I love most of the ales out there, but have to say I was not expecting this. They are right, I don’t have the taste or sophistication for this one. Everything was great until I took my first gulp and couldn’t drink any more (but I did, of course). In time, the taste stayed the same.....extremely hoppy. Is that bad? I don’t think so if you like the hoppy ales.

User37895 (3085) - - JUN 3, 2006
There’s something about lots-o-hops that is starting to grow on me, at least in beer styles that should have them there. (In other words, Rogue, quit loading up just about every dang beer with them.) This beer poured a nice ruby red color with a respectable head that provided great lacing. The aroma was rich, hoppy (surprise), and citrusey. The flavor was initially fruity and sweet (rich malt base) with some caramel. It then turned sharply hoppy bitter but somehow quite pleasant. Mouthfeel was carbonated with a fairly heavy body. Call it a strong ale or whatever you want, but this was another nice IPA/double IPA for me. Nice.

jehoey (765) - Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 2, 2006
bomber: pours a dark dark almost black ruby into a trappist glass with half inch of thick white head. aroma was kind of faint but lots of maltiness and some yeast. Flavor was full of malt and dried fruit initially- raisins and plums- but then very hop filled on the back. some pine and citrus notes. body was pretty full and slightly oily. a very nice beer.

schwaiger (90) - Laramie, Wyoming, USA - JUN 2, 2006
Bomber. Poured a beautiful garnett with a large frothy, off-white (almost yellowish) head with excellent lacing, fully lasting. Aroma of pine, grapefruit, freshly cut papaya, honeydew, bread, some yeast. Moderately sweet and bitter in the fore with a rich toffee sweetness, moderate to heavily bitter in the end with an extra long bitter finish, somewat metallic, lightly astringent. Slightly oily, medium dryness in the finish, medium bodied, moderate to strong carbonation. This beer looked great in the glass and smelled good too, but for all the hooplah I was expecting something better.

BuckeyeBoy (8475) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUN 2, 2006
22 oz bottle pours out a nice dark amber topped off with a tan head. There are a nice mix of Hops and a little citrus. A Very nice beer.

beervana (781) - Libertyville, Illinois, USA - MAY 31, 2006
(04.21.06) One pint, 6 oz brown bottle purchased from Liquorama. 7.2% ABV. Poured clear dark amber with small white head. Soft carbonation. Citrusy hop in the nose. Medium bodied ale that starts with light malt sweetness and pronounced citrusy (grapefruit) hop flavor. Finished with light hop flavor fade and lingering bitterness. Well-balanced ale with firm malt background to support the assertive hop profile. A superb delicious beer.

jcwattsrugger (12524) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - MAY 31, 2006
22 oz bottle-pours a big creamy tan head that laces with red color. Aroma is crisp sweet grapefruit hops, then peach and malt come through. Taste follows. Solid, but not too overpowering. Well balanced. Half way through the caramel starts showing. Good carbonation.