overall
RATINGS: 4262   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

theacelatrain (262) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2006
Bottle. Deep red oak color, with thick, creamy, almost golden tan head. Aroma was fresh with hops but also with some sweetness, kind of maple syrupy. Hops are predictably big and lasting, with a woody maltiness. Mouthfeel is nice - heavy and creamy - and palate is interesting, with notes of caramel, flowers and citrus. Something about this combination didn’t work for me though. The malts were too heavy, stifling the freshness of the hops, or something. Kind of like a good English strong ale and good IPA mashed together. Tasty, no doubt, but a little awkward.

Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 20, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2006 Are you ready for this? (Cue the 2 Unlimited….or not….this isn’t some poppy, mass-consumed piece of trash, this is Arrogant Bastard, for crying out loud....it’s sludgy and grinds through a plodding E5 to A5 power chord progression). After drinking it, I wasn’t sure if I was ready. I figured that after 500+ beers that I could anticipate what was about to pulverize my tastebuds and olfactory senses. Not so much. It took me about half a bottle but it all began to become much clearer: the upfront malty sweetness led the way straight to a smack-in-face hops explosion. What is this? I pondered. Damn good, is the response I received. By the end, this one had totally dominated me. And I didn’t even know that I was into BDSM.

Gmoney (442) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 20, 2006
22 oz bomber .. dark brown/mahogany color. small beige head and a thin lace .hop and malt aroma . hops hops hops and citrus dominate flavor . at 7.2 % is does sneek up on you as its so smooth you dont notice , nice medium body good stuff

maddydaddy (6) - Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA - MAR 18, 2006 does not count
Poured from a 22oz bomber. Deep mahogany color which is difficult to see through. Foamy head that doesn’t quit and sporadic non-clinging lacing. The appearance is probably the most appealing quality. Aroma starts with strong hop presence which gives way to flowery notes and finishes with citrus and malts in the background. Excellent hop dominance in the flavor. Malts and esters show up later at the middle of the tongue. Soft and silky mouthfeel. A superb ale, not for the weak palated.

TheEpeeist (3709) - Media, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 17, 2006
22 oz bottle. Deep purple with splotchy head. A milder version of the Double with hoppy Belgian nose but little more caramel sweet. Starts witth mild malt and seville orange; then builds into waves of hop bitterness. Wow! Similar to the Double but likewise needs another rating when less hammered.

AndrewM (126) - Waco (Buckle of the Bible Belt), Texas, USA - MAR 17, 2006
Hate it. My unsophisticated palate just abhors the wonderful aroma, the hops, the malt. The fluffy head and beautifully dark appearance just add to my dislike of this beer. Stuff like this should all be pulled from the shelf... and inserted in to my fridge. ;)

Birdiebeagle (958) - Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 17, 2006
Bottle Pours clear brown with a small creamy light brown head. The head lasts well and produces great lacing. Aroma has a strong maltiness. I get some chocolate with some cookie. The carbination is perfect. Has a full body with a good palate and a slick texture. A good duration and a wonderful finish. A very good aftertaste. This is very good. The bottle has all kinds of insults on it. Its rather amusing. I would not hand one of these to my none craft buddies bt who cares this is darn good beer.

Paskal (146) - La Prairie, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 15, 2006
Bouteille-Une brune très foncée aux reflets de ruby. Très forte odeur de houblon et d’agrumes. Rondeur moyenne mais très durable. Un délice!--Bottle-A dark brown ale with some ruby reflection. Very strong odorof hops and citrus. Meduim palate but lasting

DJMonarch (9179) - Northwich, Cheshire, ENGLAND - MAR 15, 2006
On Tap at the Falling Rock Tap House, Denver 02/10/2005 Amber coloured and extremely hoppy. Crisp on the palate with a malt finish.

WhiteSoxFan (152) - USA - MAR 14, 2006
22 oz. bottle. Pours dark amber with decent sized tan head that disperses quickly, but leaves nice lacing. Very clear. Aroma is fruity hops. Big malt backbone with some sweetness and a ton of bitterness and hop flavor for a good balance. Medium mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. I have to say I’m having this one a little warmer than I’ve ever had it. (Bought cold, but been in the car for a couple hours.) I will revisit it fridge cold. I love this beer. Not every day, all the time, but a great beer that is right up my alley.