overall
RATINGS: 4270   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

tcruicks (282) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - JAN 29, 2006
Average in both appearance and aroma, not exactly inviting. Feels great on the tongue, like a warm blanket, foamy, creamy. Nothing special about the flavor, I just want to swallow it immediately. This beer is OK, just OK, nothing special but not bad.

pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - JAN 29, 2006
A thin but dense head. A dark (blackish) red color with large visible bubbles. The aroma is straight up alcohol and tart fruity hops. The mouth feel is surprisingly good given the high CO2 evident from observing the beer. Its smouth and a bit sticky even. The flavor is fierce with alcohol, though not exceptionally rich. There’sa hint of tart apple and some tang. The aftertaste is surprsingly pleasant.

warriorx99 (85) - USA - JAN 28, 2006
I didn’t like this one at all. It has a good aroma to it, but way too hoppy and bitter for my tastes. This beer strikes me as being mostly hype.

sarah3961 (29) - allston, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 28, 2006
dark reddish brown, complex flavors. Drinkable, but I didn’t love it. Bitter finish. Not to alchohol-tasting. I mainly ordered it because I don’t think I’ve ever had it before- it was okay, in a situation where the choices were arrogant bastard or budweiser I would choose the arrogant bastard, but otherwise I would opt for something else.

BeerandBlues2 (13318) - Escondido, California, USA - JAN 24, 2006
My No. 1000! Pours a brilliant mahagony to cherry stained wood, miniscule bubbles rising to greet the rocky, creamy tan head that sits atop this gorgeous brew. Fragrant (perhaps the most fragrant to date in my rating) floral hop bouquet of citrus, pine and fruit hops, well balanced nose, caramel malt (cookie) backdrop for this hoppy stage. Heavily bitter and acidic resinous hop (perhaps too much), pine is noticeable and the citrus adds a nice background flavor, with a malty (cookie) body, low sweetness. Full bodied, fizzy and warm palate.

diggle (4) - USA - JAN 24, 2006 does not count
Delicious...strong and bold yet so drinkable. Complex, as others have said but it doesn’t trip over itself in any way....go buy it now.

Hawksfan17 (890) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 19, 2006
The famous arrogant bastard was too complex for me I think. So I guess I am not worthy after all. It pours amber/red with a thin head. It smelled like flowers, fruit, and grass. The flavor is all these things mixed tenfold which produces an overhopped bitter finish. All and all it was surprisingly easy to drink. I will have to re-rate this sometime though to get a better understanding of it.

krang (6) - California, USA - JAN 19, 2006 does not count
Very strong in all aspects. A complex fruity, hoppy aroma and body with a bitter finish. Despite its strenght it isn’t abrasive and can be returned to again and again.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - JAN 18, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2007 Pours a dark amber color w/ a medium sized, semi creamy froth. Decent head retention that reduces to a few spattered islands and a full ring of lace. Aromas of citrus rind hops and caramel malts. Full nectar w/ creamy residual effers. Thid brew is very hoppy w/ a perfectly balanced use of mildly sweet malts. Big citrus rind overtones. Not a complex brew flavor wise but exmpliphying an American Strong Ale style very well. This is thee American Strong Ale, California style. The finish is long and enduring w/ ample citrus rind bittering and a lasting malt sweetness.

mkgrenwel (619) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 15, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2007 This is my first ever experience with the Bastard. It is anything but subdued. Both malt and hops figure prominently. Overall, the hop bitterness vastly overpowers the malt, making this one dry and acutely bitter. The hops also provide a fruity character, mostly citrus and pineapple, but reminiscent of all sorts of tropical fruits. As it warms up, the malt gains strength and holds off the bitterness, but also the other hop character, making it actually a bit less enjoyable. Also, I found a bit of a sawdust flavor. This beer is a mixed bag. Some definite strengths, but overall just doesn’t round out into as great of a beer as I was expecting from Stone. Now let’s see how I feel about the Double Bastard....