overall
RATINGS: 3985   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

DrBayern (1140) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - NOV 24, 2005
Stone isn’t available in NC, and I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time. I’m not disappointed. Hazy deep copper with a beautiful tan head that clings wonderfully to the glass. Bready caramel aroma with the faintest spicy hops peeking around the corner. Full malty body that coats the tongue with caramel, toffee, and flavors of roasted malt. Faint hop flavors of grapefruit and peppery spice give way to an astringent bitterness that balances the massive malt perfectly. The bitterness lingers long after you’ve set the glass down. What a beautifully crafted beer!!!

GarrettB (1656) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 23, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 15, 2007 Imagine how surprised I was to one day find my own nickname on a beer bottle. The picture on the label is a poor likeness of myself, but I can forgive the artist for his creative liberty in adding horns and a chiseled, devilish chin to my normal features. Still, stunned and somewhat flattered by Stone Brewery’s clear admiration for my distasteful personality I purchased the bottle and walked out of the store with my newfound chin high in the air, and a kingly swagger in my step. At home, when I poured the ale I learned why it they had chosen the great and wonderful me as their cover art. Arrogant Bastard Ale’s color is absolutely passionate. Imagine a blood drenched Saigon sunset, like a fire burning in the jungle night, like a tiger burning bright. It is absolutely resplendent. The foam leaves something to be desired, but under that is the glow of fire & brimstone, glimmering in the deepest cavernous bowels of the Earth. I was almost too busy mesmerized by the color to even take the time and pick apart the aroma. There, I scrounged up a bouquet of flavors bound by a hazy smoke. Nose pleasers like licorice, banana and apple wafted up from the glowering brew and enticed me to finally stop staring at the chalice like a buffoon and actually taste the beer. The taste is something akin to a pleasurable whiplash; a rickety theme park ride with a spontaneous, unexpected beginning and a long, drawn out end. It starts with a loose collection of sweet fruits, some slight hoppy grapefruit and a tender, creamy mouthfeel all overshadowed by a dark smoky flavor. It finishes with a long, persistent screech of hops. The sheer hoppiness of the aftertaste compels you take another sip to reintroduce theinitial burst of sweetness in a vain attempt to dispel the wracking hops harshness. The process repeats again and again, ad infinitum – a terrible purgatory. But then, before you know it the beer is gone, and suddenly my grandiloquent, magniloquent, pompous, vainglorious, Arrogant Bastardliness is shattered leaving a semi-inebriated, cowering fool. This is, indeed, a demonic beer.

alobar (3907) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 23, 2005
Pours a dark amber color with a soapy head. Sweet aroma with some hops mixed in. Tastes of toffee, caramel malts, and some wood. A great American strong ale!

beermug1964 (4) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - NOV 19, 2005 does not count
A recomemended brew. It has a really good taste not too strong. Not something that I would drink all night but would be good with a dog or burger or even to get the night started.

Ratman197 (15350) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - NOV 18, 2005
Bomber poured a clear dark copper with a small amber head. Aromas of lime, a bit of carmel, and pine. Palate was medium bodied and resiny. Flavors of citrus, and carmel with a dry, bitter, astringent finish. I hear it gets better with age,I’ll have to stash a bottle away for a couple years and see if it improves.

Micro13Brew (12) - USA - NOV 18, 2005
When I first apporached this ale I was skeptical because of the name and not being familiar with Stone Brewing but thanks to Arrogant Bastard I have become and will continue to becom very familiar with there brews.

beerhandy (195) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - NOV 17, 2005
04 bottle pint pub glass The bastard pours a deep copper capped with a generous dollop of biege foam.I remember more hops in past expiences but this seems to smell of strong malt and yeast almost monistic a subtle dubbel there is a spiciness I fiqure the remnents of a hoppy past.The taste is big malt, caramel,butterscotch that is faint but then the bitter hops drys out your mouth.I would think fresher is better.

bigrond (1499) - factoryville, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 13, 2005
this beer wasn’t as good as I thought it was going to be. Still its a pretty good drinking beer.

ELPADRINO (70) - The Woodlands, Texas, USA - NOV 11, 2005
Pours dark ruby with lasting 1/4 inch tan head. Aroma is flowery with strong hops. Taste is strong with hops and cloves. There is a hint of citrus as well. The cloves carry on into the aftertaste. Carbonation is low, so it’s easy to swallow a big gulp and appreciate the taste. The alcohol taste is not overpowering and creates a nice warmth going down. This is my first American strong ale, and it is excellent.

leaparsons (10759) - Wigston, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - NOV 8, 2005
Bottle. Chestnut in colour with a fluffy beige head. Aromas are spices and pine with toffee lurking in the background - also alcohol, obviously. Flavours are initially soft toffee and caramel malts that are soon superceded by dry, woody, yet green pine. Very prickly on the palate with a bitter finish. The very powerful alcohol almost destroys the beers character. Almost.