overall
RATINGS: 4270   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - SEP 1, 2005
Bottle. Now this is beer. Pours a lovely red-orange-brown with a good off-white head. Aroma of hops and... canned pears? The palate is smooth--the flavor is anything but. Crap loads of hops, start to finish. In the distance behind the hops hide some tasteful fruity notes. Damned good brew, but definitely not for the faint of tongue.

bambouchi (6) - Texas, USA - AUG 31, 2005 does not count
Easily my ffavorite beer. An amazing kick of alcohol and a touch of hops. Beautiful red brown when poured with a slight white head. Smooth and bitter sweet at the same time.

nowise (17) - USA - AUG 31, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 21, 2005 This is impressive. Very nice, almost citrus smell. Dark reddish brown really looks nice. The flavor is somewhat hard to describe, although it is somewhat bitter. Slight chocolate, caramel, and hops. Poured from a bottle it has a diminishing head and kinda lost its fizz pretty quickly at least for me, but overall very good!

sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 30, 2005
Am I worthy? Swirling carbonation and a reddish brown color. Defininte malt AND hops in the nose. Followed by an alcohol burn in the nostrils. Rich caramel, dark coffee, woody taste. Roasted malt flavor and aroma dominate. Tingling bitterness stays with you for awhile. Drying! Survey says? It’s complex and deep and delicious.

unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - AUG 30, 2005
Ok I can now imagine what melted caramel and an IPA would taste like all mixed up together. I had a 22 oz bottle of the Bastard, and though I *thought* I’d tried it before, apparently not. The aroma is sweet, not floral but that of sugar and candy. I think it’s one of the best smelling brews I’ve tried, to be honest. Color is a nice dark copper/red/amber hue with a medium-thick, creamy head upon pouring. And the taste...very bitter at first, but after 3 or 4 sips it just turns sweet...and more sweet...with a hoppy, lingering finish. The alcohol is there, but not too much so. I love bittersweet chocolate, and I will use the word bittersweet to describe this one, but it’s not even close to the same animal. It’s bitter, damned sweet, and good! The only detraction to me is the almost syrupy, slightly cloying mouthfeel. I expected it, I’m just not crazy about it. Overall, though, this brew rocks and is a great change of pace from what I usually drink! Anyone have any Double Bastard???

chilehead (186) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - AUG 30, 2005
i’ve had arrogant bastard a few times on tap, but this time was different. Color was deeper than usual (more of a deep rust than copper), strong caramel and coffee overtones with superb hoppyness, though not overpowering. Had it on tap at pizzaport san clemente.

puzzl (3258) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 28, 2005
Very hoppy, bitter, floral taste. Hoppy aroma, well balanced, and very quaffable. A very enjoyable brew.

Dick1984LS (29) - 29 Palms, California, USA - AUG 27, 2005
by far the best beer i have drunk thus far made me feel stupid for like the next three days but the taste was so worth it.

urbanmm (4) - USA - AUG 27, 2005 does not count
This is the worst beer I have ever had. Bitter, lingering aftertaste, just vile.

Heatwaves (54) - Orange, California, USA - AUG 23, 2005
The label says "you probably won’t like this beer." They were correct. Only kidding. I’ll admit, that the first couple of sips were HARSH, but then it became more appealing as it warmed. It has great deep red-brown color and a thick caramel head. The flavors convey a strong bite of scorpion venom, demon bile and alcohol. Very hoppy and a little different in its complexity. Interesting selection.