overall
RATINGS: 3961   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

BrewDad (5328) - Olympia, Washington, USA - SEP 17, 2005
careful with this beer. it will catch you off guard. The beer pors almost red but has a bite that will throw you off. It is a heavy beer with a taste that is equal to the match. A tough beer this is a beer for the experts. Black Diamond beer run for this beer. Prost!!!

BitchesBrew (716) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - SEP 16, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2006 [bottle] Pours a dark red, with a tan colored head. Strong hops aroma with some other organic-type smell in there. Flavors are pretty interesting- strong malts and enough hops to balance it out- overall, this beer is awesome. I agree, this beer is ’aggressive’.

piscator34 (2577) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - SEP 14, 2005
Rating #400. Deep red in colour with a lasting, slightly off white head. Fairly low carbonation. Lots of hoppy aroma to this one (grapefruit, pine, earth), although slightly more restrained than I had expected. For an "aggressive" beer, it’s actually fairly well balanced. Flavors of caramel malts, some minor roasted malt notes, more citric hop notes, and a bit of a tea-like tannic note too. It’s bitter enough to balance everything out, but not over the top. A full bodied example of an American Strong Ale. Big thanks to mnurda for picking up this bad boy in Denver for me.

Sam10 (37) - Olympia, Washington, USA - SEP 10, 2005
Very dark red with a nice head that stays to the bitter end. At first seemed bitter but that does not last long. Wanted to savor this one take my time. But was to good kept take pull after pull until it was gone. And it went fast!! Very good beer rich in flavor.

cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 9, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 12, 2005 I think the bottle describes itself the best. This ale is full of itself, but not suprising. It has much going on and could be described as bitter, until you drink it a bit, then continue to drink cuz you have become hooked on it. It has a very dark red color with an off white head, but just try holding this beer next to a lamp and next the nice blood red color it turns, sorta fits with the satan logo on the bottle. This is definetely something I will have to drink again for a better judgement, but I was shocked/awed by this beer. Definitely not for the "yellow-beer-drinking-wimps" as the bottle so warns.

BruinBeer (6) - Los Angeles, California, USA - SEP 9, 2005 does not count
Dude, I wanted to like this beer. Maybe I’m not a serious enough beer drinker because this seemed horribly bitter to me and I really had to man up in order to drink the rest of the bottle. I gave it a relatively high score because the flavor is so complex but I wont be buying this again, at least for a while. I recommend you try it at least once.

slang (654) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - SEP 8, 2005
A lot of hype surrounding this one, and here I am, the 910th person to drink it. Must of been the plug in that highly successful moive Cabin Fever. Never under estimate crap. Luckly, this beer isn’t crap... far from it. It looked very sexy inthe glass. I remember it being similar to an imperial pale, if there was such. Very good, and will drink again to get a better idea. Keller’s IGA

NachlamSie (3523) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 4, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2008 bottle. For some reason, this is the most available high alcohol beer in Knoxville, TN, so I have it every now again when there’s nothing new to drink. After drinking a few hundred different beers since I last approached the Bastard, I realize now that this, I think, is a great example of the mythical imperial red ale style. Aside from the attractive dark red pour, that sweet biscuity-breadiness is also predominant. The hops are steady and even throughout. This is just a solid, big beer. It goes beyond merely being a hop bomb and delivers adequate sophistication for a satisfying beer consumption experience.
[Nov.24, 2007]
Here I am again drinking the old Bastard. This is a very solid beer, I get desensitized to its quality from time to time since I consume it so often, but damn, this is a good beer. The beer selection in my county is abysmal, but thank God we get Stone for whatever reason. Again I’m reminded just how cleanly hoppy this stuff is. It’s not off the charts, but man, it’s assertive. Excellent citrusy, sprucy acidity highlights sweet, biscuity, caramelly malts. This is a real American amber ale with some juevos.
[December 20, 2007]
I think I forget just how good this beer is. It’s hard to find another similar beer that pulls of this kind of flavor with such finesse. I retasted Double Bastard just a few days ago. I’d like to note that I might just prefer Arrogant Bastard due to its crystal clear hop profile and commendable balance. It’s a tough call.
[August 5, 2008]
Bomber from McScrooge’s best before August 30, 2008. Damn right. I haven’t seen a fresh Stone beer on any shelves in my area for a few months, pissin’ me off. Finally I got my hands on a new Arrogant Bastard. Pours cloudy amber with thick lacing and a firm white head. The aroma has crystal clear grapefruit, some pine, thick biscuits, caramel, lemon, earth. Carbonation is medium high, just a little spritzy, and suits the flavor well. Now this is a true American beer. Loads of PNW hops, thick biscuity malts, no regard for subtlety. The level of balance in this beast is quite a feat. This is one of those ASA’s that really doesn’t belong in another style. . .kind of sets the bar for other similar beers.

chriso (7583) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - SEP 2, 2005
Bottled at GBBF, August 2005. I must confess, I didn’t find this as arrogant as I expected. In fact, I thought it was relatively restrained and subtle. No shrinking violet certainly, but not the loudmouthed show-off I’d been expecting. Perhaps I’m just getting more accustomed to these big US beers so they don’t have the shock factor that they once did. The aroma was surprisingly malty, with the fat hops bubbling under. The grapefruit and pine hoppiness built up in the mouth but there was still a solid underlying malt base and hints of caramel. Quite refined and very satisfying.

tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - SEP 1, 2005
Bottle. Now this is beer. Pours a lovely red-orange-brown with a good off-white head. Aroma of hops and... canned pears? The palate is smooth--the flavor is anything but. Crap loads of hops, start to finish. In the distance behind the hops hide some tasteful fruity notes. Damned good brew, but definitely not for the faint of tongue.