overall
RATINGS: 3973   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

Heatwaves (54) - Orange, California, USA - AUG 23, 2005
The label says "you probably won’t like this beer." They were correct. Only kidding. I’ll admit, that the first couple of sips were HARSH, but then it became more appealing as it warmed. It has great deep red-brown color and a thick caramel head. The flavors convey a strong bite of scorpion venom, demon bile and alcohol. Very hoppy and a little different in its complexity. Interesting selection.

antzman (316) - Clarksville, Indiana, USA - AUG 20, 2005
22 oz. bottle. Pours a great shade of red with a perfect head, with a pleasant malt aroma. The first drink blew me away with a very strong body and only got better as I got deeper into the glass. I cannot say enough about how good this beer was. Despite what the label said, I felt worthy of this beer.

kramer (6682) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 20, 2005
22 oz bottle. Hands down one of the prettiest looking beers I’ve had in a real long time, a undisputable 5 in appearance. Poured into a pint glass with a perfect frothy off-white 1" head, the color is amazing. At the narrow base of my glass it appears ruby and turns a deeper tawny color as it nears the wider upper part of the glass. Aroma is great, balanced wonderfully between malt and hops, some toffee, some resin, some floral tones. On the palate it feels oily and full bodied, with some distinct alcohol warmth. Only downside for me was the finish, a bit to harsh and rather medicine like. Not that it was too bitter per se, but just a little harsh. I picked up a case of this today and I’ll be very interested to see if the finish changes over time. This is one you should seek out.

jefcon (1933) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - AUG 20, 2005
Mmmmmm mmmmm. Hops and malt grab your attention simultaneously in the center of this exceptional ale. In the glass, the beer is a distinguished mohogany with a half inche of off-white head and significant lacing. Looks great while you’re drinking it. Tons of hops on the aroma. Lots of light spice, lemon and herb. Nutmeg? Coriander? Ginger? What is that underneath there? Tasting gives you a timid entry, then blows you away with prolific hops and malts. There is a caramel complexity to the beer that takes you to the river where there is more citrus on the finish, and several minutes later, perhaps, the ride is over. Fantastic, true ale. Love it.

RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - AUG 17, 2005
Got this bottle at Dyess, AFB in Texas. Poured a dark brown/reddish color, with a good 1 inch head, and has a nice hop and malt smell to it. Taste is pretty strong hops, a little roasted malt, caramel and alcohol. This is my first beer from Stone Brewing, and I can say that I’m thoroughly impressed. I was able to pick up some of their IPA as well, and I now can’t wait to try that.

kook (2033) - Perth, Western Australia, AUSTRALIA - AUG 17, 2005
Bottle (GBBF): Copper with a mild brown head. Suprisingly subtle malt aroma, with big hops dominating. I expected more balance. Flavour however is a combo of sticky sweet caramel malts with a strong citric hoppy finish. Medium-full bodied, and quite tasty.

TheBeerOrg (2145) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - AUG 17, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 12, 2007 Draft at Rich O’s. Pours dark amber with a foamy tan head. Has a bready, malty aroma that was surprising mild for such a hopped beer. Taste is intense maltiness with an insane hop finish. Prepare for an assault on your taste buds.

michaeltrego (101) - Amherst, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 15, 2005
Mmmmm, yeah. Floral and fruity in the nose, but not too much -- and a wonderful deep amber/ruby color. Pours with a nice head, and the sweet smell (and taste) of success. Big bitter/malt balance is awesome. Life is good!

drfabulous (8489) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - AUG 12, 2005
One of my favorites. Few words can describe the rich malty taste of this barley wine. I drank four in a row once at a bar in San Diego. This is serious beer.

Pete (6) - USA - AUG 12, 2005 does not count
I think the only thing arrogant about this beer is the label. It *is* a good beer, however I don’t find it live up to all the hype that people throw it’s way. It’s just too bitter and herby to be on the top of my list.