overall
RATINGS: 4155   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wont like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JMerritt (1941) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - OCT 5, 2004
GABF 2004. It took nearly 700 ratings, but finally - my first Stone brew! Amber-orange in color with a small, off-white head. Clear body. Hoppy, resin aroma, intermixed with some tangerines and a touch of alcohol. Bitterness is definitely agressive, yet not overly so, accompanied by a sweet caramel malt backbone that holds it all together. Full bodied, sticky and oily, with soft carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 3, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2005 Pours burgundy in color. Looks like a beautiful sunset when help up to the light. Long lasting white head with a sticky lace that clings to the glass. Exceptional looking beer. The nose was full of prunes, vanilla, alcohol, floral hops, citrus fruits and a malt undertone. Sharp hops at first followed by flavors of prunes, apricots, caramel and light toffee. Hops are dominant but the malt presense is very high too and balances well. Hops still take over this beer and make it very bitter. Excellent mouthfeel as well. All around an exceptional beer!

cathcacr (646) - Oregon, USA - SEP 30, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2005 Listen up, you filthy maggots! I will teach you the ways of beer-loving whether you goddamned pussies like it or not! Because inside every fizzy yellow macro-swiller is a beer-lover trying to get out. You, whats your name? Bullshit! From now on, your name is Yellowbelly. You like that name? Good, cause from now on, youre gonna be down lickin up the floor of my head until you learn to love good beer, you miserable little piece of shit! You, wipe that smile off your face! And you, wipe that fizzy commie yellow-deer-drinking bitter-beer grimace off yours! You make me sick! You make me want to vomit, right in your fizzy yellow beer, just so you have something of flavor in your drink! You little worm! You bottom-fermenting ass-eating scumbag! Ill kick your ass! Ill shit in your beer just to give it color and aroma! Now drop and give me 25! You, whats your favorite beer? Guinness, eh? Really sophisticated, huh? I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you. You can come over to my house and fuck my sister. *WHACK!* Now get back up on your feet! Why did you join my beloved corps? So youre a drinker, eh? Lets see your beer face! Bullshit, you didnt convince me! AAAAGGHHHH, thats a beer face! Work on it! And you, whatre you looking at you ugly fuck! Youre a yellow-beer-drinking wussy too, huh? I dont think I heard you correctly! I think I just heard the level of class in this entire platoon drop by 200 points! I bet you drink beer like old people fuck! Here, have a splash of some real beer in your eyes! Here, gag on this! You happy now? You like my bottle? Do you think its cute, do you think its funny? Bullshit! Ill kick your ass so far up between your shoulder blades, youll have to stand on your head to take a dump! What, you dont like your head in a toilet boil? Then get your face out of that macro bottle, swillboy! Do you suck dicks? Are you a peter-puffer? Thats most unfortunate, because youd sure as hell get better mouthfeel and flavor with that than with the pisswater you imbibe! You like real beer? I cant hear you! Bullshit, I still cant hear you! Sound off like youve got a pair! Okay, then. Goodnight ladies, and repeat after me: This is my bottle. There are many like it, but this one is mine...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rentalman (103) - British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 30, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2004 (Draft) The first time I tried this beer I enjoyed it so much that 3 days later I drove 3hrs to get it again. The heady aroma of hops is the first sign that they have done something right. A malty backbone for some ballance and a nice finish with some lingering bitterness to make you thirsty for more.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
biz82 (1327) - austin, Texas, USA - SEP 29, 2004
Smells of American hops and caramel with a slight milk aroma. Clear red color with a beige head that I wish all ales had. Beautiful lacing. Big tangy and bitter flavor. Somewhat malty with hints of smoke. Finishes a little tart. To me the taste is murky with no dominant feature but not quite balanced either. It has what I would describe as a "homebrew" flavor. Good but over rated. Their reverse marketing get a more fanatical following than direct.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jeppe (2631) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - SEP 27, 2004
Dark amber colored beer with a foamy light tan head. Hops and caramel in the aroma. Sweet and fruity and a typical Stone aroma! Very nice and inviting! Flavor is dominated by bitter hops on a sweet malty and caramelly base. Very flavorfull and complex with a perfect balanced bitterness. Dry in the end! Excellent!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - SEP 26, 2004
Deep reddish brown. Big aroma of dark fruit and citrus hops. Flavor is much bigger than the aroma. It is thick and malty. Starts with some sweetness then goes to hops and then some hops. You then get some spice and then something umm yes hops. Go west coast. Long finish. I have drank this beer numerous times but I keep forgeting to drink it out of thr 22oz AB glass. I guess Ill have to open another.

happy4hops (376) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - SEP 24, 2004
Bottled 5-7-04.Well here it is..Aroma,chocolate vibin centenialish hoppage,touch of the finest grain.Nice red amber color,nice off white head.The taste is very good if you love hops(and damn good beer) of the west coast variety(which I do).The palate could be a little bit more full,but the hops are resiny and lingering(I like that)tease of honey and tea in there.A very nice beer,just a tad overhyped,but I also agree with the current average.

Pailhead (6525) - Plymouth, Michigan, USA - SEP 23, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 2, 2006 Bottle: Aroma is very malty. Berries, chocolate, and caramel. Pours a mostly transparent but slightly hazy reddish-brown with a small off-white head. Not much lacing. Flavor is berries , caramel, and chocolate. Real bitter finish with coffee notes. Overly long bitter aftertaste is a bit much. This beer is good, but I had such high expectations that I am a little let down. <pP

Had this a second time and must say it is much better than the first time and Im improving my original score of 3.4. Everything is pretty much the same except the hops arent over the top nor is the aftertaste.

Had this on tap and not all like my previous ratings, which leads me to wonder if I had any idea what I was talking about. Nice fruity sweetness up front with hints of peach and apricot. Light caramel as weel. Huge grapefruit hop finish. Seems to have a better balance on tap.

Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - SEP 19, 2004
On tap. Very powerful. The Arrogant Bastard is one tough mother to deal with, but is so worth it in the end. I cant wait to take on its big brother, Double Bastard