overall
RATINGS: 4002   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

Hooker (468) - Coquitlam, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 19, 2005
Dark reddish copper colour with thick rocky tan head. Sour malt nose with slight alcohol notes. Bitter malt taste with bitter finish and slight warming alcohol notes.

mikey (508) - farmington, Utah, USA - JUN 18, 2005
Poured a clear chestnut color with a thick creamy off-white head. The nose starts off with grapefruity hops with a bready malt presence beneth. The flavor starts with intense citusy grapefruit and rich meaty malts. The finish was of toasted caramel malts and a very warm alcohol bath. Great hop balance makes this taste like it’s much more than just a strong ale.

kxkeller (32) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUN 17, 2005
Ruby colored with beige, foamy head. The sweetness from caramel malts dominate the nose and cover most of the hopexplosion of the taste, which is rather piny. The aftertaste is really dry. But a nice, full-bodied, complex beer.

NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 17, 2005
To style it is a fine beer, but it is just way too hopped and thus one dimensional for my tastes. Stone has some well balanced beers and I know they are just trying to give the hop heads what they want, but I think it goes too far...you can add the hops and still balance it with a malt profile and I don’t think that is done here. Still unusual and drinkable, but not something I’d buy again.

AmazonMatt (285) - PANAMA - JUN 8, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2007 Did I have the correct beer? This beer wasn’t that hoppy? I actually found that I would have prefered less malt and more hops. I had it on tap, so maybe the waitress screwed up. But it was a reddish copper color. Less hops than an Alaska Pale Ale, for example. Something’s wrong here? Much better from the bottle later. On re-rate goes from 3.0 to 3.6.

ehhdayton (1188) - USA - JUN 8, 2005
Light hoppy aroma. Reddish in color. Strong hoppy flavor with a strong bitter finish that quickly goes away.

OutHouseDilemma (70) - Crowley, Texas, USA - JUN 7, 2005
It looks fine and tasty, boy were my eyes wrong. Even the smell is hops. Way too much for my taste. Way too much for people that even like the hop bite. You just think you like it because the masses won’t. I could market some fancy massengill type beer with the same commercial description, and the extreme people would slurp it up because it’s extreme/non norm. This hop count would make the top 50 beers on this site be in the bottom 30. My sophistication allowed me to aggressively finish the beer and punch the shit out of the friend that thought I would enjoy it.

Britales (56) - Cape Charles, Virginia, USA - JUN 2, 2005
Nice color, nice head, nice aroma! Did you guys ever hear of MALT?? Hops just overwhelm! Still drinkable but I don’t get the hype!!

KUEric (978) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JUN 2, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2005 Bottle: A deep amber red color, with a large tan head. Has a hoppy aroma. The flavor seems to grow as you drink although it may have been a little heavy on the hops, the mouthfeel is so very smooth.

ruggedman (647) - Portland, Maine, USA - MAY 31, 2005
I’m probably the only person on this site capable of actually drinking this beer. Like the label says you can’t handle and and wont like it. Stick to the fizzy yellow beers kid. I’ll be off in the corner enjoying this :) Ok enough arrogance, this beer is a beautiful red beer with a nice thick tan head. Long on malt taste that just keeps on going. At first it seems simple, but then as the taste goes on it gets more complex. Great taste, great beer.