overall
RATINGS: 4219   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wont like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ricardowess (25) - Sedona, Arizona, USA - OCT 8, 2004
Smells like heavily roasted malts- with a long lasting coffee colored head. Burnt amber color throughout. The roasted flavors taste like an uppercut- and a good one at that. Lots of flavor and one to enjoy over and over.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
sixpackcharley (19) - barclay, Texas, USA - OCT 7, 2004
Very rich and distinct flavor. Beautiful in the glass with a nice, but not overbearing head. Difficult to compare with anything else, this brew stands on its own. I look forward to my next glass!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hopgeek (90) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 7, 2004
Pours a rich redish brown color and makes a thick offwhite head. Head retention is great and laces the glass nicely all the way down. Smell is rich and inviting. Heavily roasted and malty aromatics fill my nose. Flavor opens up bitter and spicy, and then the rich and roasted character appears again with a nice layering of hop flavor and finishes with a malty sweetness. This beer is so unique, the flavor profile is really unlike any other beer I have ever tried. Mouthfeel is medium to full and leaves a slight sticky coating on the throat, warming as it goes down. Arrogant Bastard is incredibly tasty, drinkable and in my opinion a nice session beer... cause frankly you cant drink much else after the havok this wreaks on your pallate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mctous (131) - Herndon, Virginia, USA - OCT 6, 2004
I finally experienced this on draft last Friday (thank you, Tuskies)! Both versions reek of hops and malt (the way a good beer should) and hold their heads well, the bottled version more so. Both have a clear, antique gold color. The draft version allows one to better appreciate the complex malt recipe, including a sour mash flavor (the old Guinness trick). Both have deep, well extracted hop flavor, the draft version has less aromatic flavor, again favoring its palate. I give the draft version even higher marks than the bottle, and bottled Bastard is on my short list! Three cheers to Stone Brewing!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JMerritt (1941) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - OCT 5, 2004
GABF 2004. It took nearly 700 ratings, but finally - my first Stone brew! Amber-orange in color with a small, off-white head. Clear body. Hoppy, resin aroma, intermixed with some tangerines and a touch of alcohol. Bitterness is definitely agressive, yet not overly so, accompanied by a sweet caramel malt backbone that holds it all together. Full bodied, sticky and oily, with soft carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 3, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2005 Pours burgundy in color. Looks like a beautiful sunset when help up to the light. Long lasting white head with a sticky lace that clings to the glass. Exceptional looking beer. The nose was full of prunes, vanilla, alcohol, floral hops, citrus fruits and a malt undertone. Sharp hops at first followed by flavors of prunes, apricots, caramel and light toffee. Hops are dominant but the malt presense is very high too and balances well. Hops still take over this beer and make it very bitter. Excellent mouthfeel as well. All around an exceptional beer!

cathcacr (647) - Oregon, USA - SEP 30, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2005 Listen up, you filthy maggots! I will teach you the ways of beer-loving whether you goddamned pussies like it or not! Because inside every fizzy yellow macro-swiller is a beer-lover trying to get out. You, whats your name? Bullshit! From now on, your name is Yellowbelly. You like that name? Good, cause from now on, youre gonna be down lickin up the floor of my head until you learn to love good beer, you miserable little piece of shit! You, wipe that smile off your face! And you, wipe that fizzy commie yellow-deer-drinking bitter-beer grimace off yours! You make me sick! You make me want to vomit, right in your fizzy yellow beer, just so you have something of flavor in your drink! You little worm! You bottom-fermenting ass-eating scumbag! Ill kick your ass! Ill shit in your beer just to give it color and aroma! Now drop and give me 25! You, whats your favorite beer? Guinness, eh? Really sophisticated, huh? I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you. You can come over to my house and fuck my sister. *WHACK!* Now get back up on your feet! Why did you join my beloved corps? So youre a drinker, eh? Lets see your beer face! Bullshit, you didnt convince me! AAAAGGHHHH, thats a beer face! Work on it! And you, whatre you looking at you ugly fuck! Youre a yellow-beer-drinking wussy too, huh? I dont think I heard you correctly! I think I just heard the level of class in this entire platoon drop by 200 points! I bet you drink beer like old people fuck! Here, have a splash of some real beer in your eyes! Here, gag on this! You happy now? You like my bottle? Do you think its cute, do you think its funny? Bullshit! Ill kick your ass so far up between your shoulder blades, youll have to stand on your head to take a dump! What, you dont like your head in a toilet boil? Then get your face out of that macro bottle, swillboy! Do you suck dicks? Are you a peter-puffer? Thats most unfortunate, because youd sure as hell get better mouthfeel and flavor with that than with the pisswater you imbibe! You like real beer? I cant hear you! Bullshit, I still cant hear you! Sound off like youve got a pair! Okay, then. Goodnight ladies, and repeat after me: This is my bottle. There are many like it, but this one is mine...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rentalman (103) - British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 30, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2004 (Draft) The first time I tried this beer I enjoyed it so much that 3 days later I drove 3hrs to get it again. The heady aroma of hops is the first sign that they have done something right. A malty backbone for some ballance and a nice finish with some lingering bitterness to make you thirsty for more.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
biz82 (1327) - austin, Texas, USA - SEP 29, 2004
Smells of American hops and caramel with a slight milk aroma. Clear red color with a beige head that I wish all ales had. Beautiful lacing. Big tangy and bitter flavor. Somewhat malty with hints of smoke. Finishes a little tart. To me the taste is murky with no dominant feature but not quite balanced either. It has what I would describe as a "homebrew" flavor. Good but over rated. Their reverse marketing get a more fanatical following than direct.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jeppe (2631) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - SEP 27, 2004
Dark amber colored beer with a foamy light tan head. Hops and caramel in the aroma. Sweet and fruity and a typical Stone aroma! Very nice and inviting! Flavor is dominated by bitter hops on a sweet malty and caramelly base. Very flavorfull and complex with a perfect balanced bitterness. Dry in the end! Excellent!