overall
RATINGS: 4153   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wont like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
wnp22 (698) - Toronto (Roncesvalles Village), Ontario, CANADA - JUN 30, 2004
Tasted in NYC. Tasted at brewtopia 04. Aroma is of bitter hops with a slight hint of sweetness. Floral. Appearance is a deep copper colour with a small tan head. Laces well in the glass. Taste is a blend of malty backbone with a big arrogant bastard bitter finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
CamdenD (1195) - Madrid, SPAIN - JUN 30, 2004
Great beer. Incredible aroma and appearance, looks like it should: dark and menacing. The flavor is heavy on the malts but enough hops (duh, its stone) to balance. Its a bit heavy on the tongue, but thats understandable I suppose. This is a strong ale I could drink all night.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
blatz (138) - Palm Beach Gardens, FL, Florida, USA - JUN 29, 2004
Now thats what I am talking about -- tastes like they took SNPA, Dogfish 90 Minute IPA, and hyped them up on roids. BIG flavor. Had at Steamers Bar in Ketchikan, Alaska on draft. Nice red/brown color with tan head. Explosive hop flavor with pine overtones. Head stays with your till the bottom and trails its way beautifully down the glass. Aftertaste is a little much in the bitterness dept, but its worth the price. WOW!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Steib (613) - Queen Creek, Arizona, USA - JUN 27, 2004
Nice reddish-brown color with a bountiful head. Pleasant citrus, pine hoppy aroma. Taste is fairly smooth ,flavorfull. Malts are understated which bring out the true hop character until the end. The aftertaste can be a little bitter and lingering but still a great beer. Havent had Buffalo Butt but I would think this is better.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Kevin (2193) - New Mexico, USA - JUN 26, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 17, 2004 Rerate 09-17-04. still from a bottle. the hidden power of the bastard is apparent to me, i can now appreciate the overwhelming flavor of sweet rich caramel from the malts and the tangy hop attack on the finish. i only discovered this by accident when i had another taste at my fantasy football draft. this is so much better when it has a chance to breath and warm, that said it still ain't my favorite Original rating 6-26-04 original rating 2.4.Bottle. nice pour. mahogany color with a tan head that laces down the glass. aroma is interesting with a cinnamon smell. I had previously tried this a few years back, and i did not like it. i am pleased that it tastes better than i remebered, but it still has a flavor that i dont enjoy. i like the malt flavor, but the hops in this do not agree with me. leaves an unpleasant taste. i guess this is too strong for me. Im not worthy.

scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUN 24, 2004
Finally time to rate the one and only. Deep ruby reddish brown ale, off white head. Nose is full of citrus, light pine, florals, and some sweet buttery caramel to boot. Hoppy is an understatement, but really it comes through with a nice sweet malty balance. Medium to full-bodied, medium carbonation, lengthy bitter dry finish. In my book, Stone does no wrong....ever!

0.9
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - JUN 23, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 25, 2008 I appreciate good beer. Ive had over 500 different kinds since I became a SERIOUS beer drinker. However, this concoction is just a bit too over the top for me. The label warns of its "aggressiveness," and touts that anyone who is not a REAL beer drinker "probably wont like it," thereby, subliminally at least, making everyone like it for fear of being called a wimp. Well, I can tell you with certainty that I am no wimp, and I have had much better beer than this. The taste is not what bothers me; rather, its the pungent aftertaste that reminds me of Robitussin that appalls me. I had to eat an apple while drinking this thing to keep from vomiting (and remember, I have had Buffalo Butt), so that should tell you something. (And after paying almost 5 bucks for a pint and a half, youre damn straight I was finishing it.) So, go on and tout your love of this potion; I will go on enjoying my more mellow blends that have less to prove in terms of how "manly" they are. Rotten vegetables, and putrid fruit dominate the flavor. Thats all.

spkldhenlvr24 (517) - Newburgh/Buffalo, New York, USA - JUN 21, 2004
Definately worth the wait for this. A nice deep red/ dark amber appearance with a good tan head. Strong hops, spicy aroma, good malts too. Over the top hop, malty flavor. A little bit of caramel too. SICK beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hab40oz (242) - Grants Pass, Oregon, USA - JUN 21, 2004
Very unique strong ale. A classic for real beer drinkers. Pours a dark redish brown. Punishing hoppy and spicy nose wish creamy head. Has a strong malty taste, very rich and up a notch by a also strong hop presence. It finishes with a great spicy bitterness which kicks this beer onto a whole new level. Good stuff

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - JUN 18, 2004
Bottle. Well, first off, the bottle was pretty damn funny. But once you get passed it, youre left with a pretty solid beer. Citrus hop aroma from a ruby red body. Strong alcohol taste, but thin enough for the hops to get through and bite you, while giving a smooth malt taste. A unique balancing act for sure, but I thought it tasted stronger than the 7.2%, which distracted me a bit. A fine beer though.