overall
RATINGS: 4155   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably wont like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ilovetrappist (23) - Round Rock, Texas, USA - JUN 8, 2004
Poured into a goblet; Dark amber color. Light brown head that quickly dissapates in the middle forming a halo. Large cells of lace that last. Fruity aroma with some hop character. Good taste. Tastes like grapefruit and charcoal. Coats the palate with a bitter and a bit sour aftertaste which I also like very much. This is a good beer. Reminds me of a lighter porter in some ways.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Grandpa (327) - Verona, New York, USA - JUN 8, 2004
A deep amber brew with a tight, long lasting head. It has a strong, robust flavor followed by a bitter hop taste. The bitterness had a tinch of sourness to it. The label tells me that I probably wont like it. I did like it, not much but a little. I had to clear my palate with some bland yellow beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (7162) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 7, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 25, 2011 I have long been fond of this beer. Sampled from a 22 oz brown bottle ( I love the bottle - must admit that I am a sucker for their attitude/ad campaign). It has not remained as high in my esteem as my tastes have developed but I still grab one now and then. +++Pours a cloudy brown color (same color as the bottle in fact). No light shines through. Small tan head. The aroma is of grapefruit and molasses. The flavor is sharp and bitter with a strong grapefruit presence. This beer really slaps you in the face with hop presence. Some sweet maltiness comes along as the beer warms up a bit, but overall this is a really unbalanced beer. The hops really overwhelm any other flavor present. The sweet grapefruit flavor sticks to the tongue and lingers forever on the aftertaste. I have had this frequently on draft as well, and found it to be much less sharp and a little better balanced when on draft.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Discofish (152) - USA - JUN 6, 2004
Had this on drought. Well blended mix of sharp hops and smooth malts. Seems think for an ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jimmylib (169) - old bridge, New Jersey, USA - JUN 6, 2004
love the beer, thought it had a very good flavor,but i must say i love the bottle more

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - JUN 6, 2004
A good , solid beer, nice flavor, does have an aftertaste, but a nice one to me! A Savory beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
stedanko (3) - San Marcos, California, USA - JUN 6, 2004 does not count
I never thought something from my hometown could be so good. Very smooth, tastes similar to a Sam Adams with a nice bite. Dark amber color. Only flaw is the slightly harsh aftertaste. Nevertheless, the beer of choice for feeling loose quick.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
nchoward (24) - Iowa, USA - JUN 5, 2004
Well done! Great hops and malt experiment. A strong ale that is not overly astringent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - JUN 4, 2004
A GOOD looking brew, nicely marketed. I found it with a big head and all the grapefruit tones you could want. It shows better as it warms.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
turbo (1271) - Arizona, USA - JUN 3, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 19, 2005 I think this beer is great!! as i drink it now,it has adark red amber color and a thick light brownish foamy head with thick lacing down the glass. strong enough to know your drinking a real beer with just a bit of bite at swallow. good good beer,will buy again!!