overall
RATINGS: 4002   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

rauchbier (3949) - Isle Of Beer, Lincolnshire, ENGLAND - MAR 13, 2005
2000th rating, I am finaly worthy. Bottle, with big thanks to BeerLimey for this. Deep chestnut, lasting yellow beige head and good condition. Initial hit of sweet chocolate malt before the blast of spicy resinous hops takes over, big mouthfull of roast barley, sweet caramel malt, pine resin, menthol and mouth tingling hops. Excellent restrained hop bitterness, raw grain and toffee linger into the finish.

entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 11, 2005
Brilliant deep red pour with reocurring tan head. If you like hops you wont mind the bitter finish at all, I don’t. It really has some kick but the alcohol is hid well and for my taste is well balanced. This is what I wanted Double Bastard to taste like and I stand by my statement that if you add a shot of vodka to this beer you will in deed have created Double Bastard. This reminds me of a more bitter Bigfoot Ale.

lordwunjo (46) - California, USA - MAR 7, 2005
All very good, except for the excessive hops. Too much of a bitter aftertaste, but overall excellent. Would recommend to anyone who likes strong ales.

ecbeerguy (86) - East Chicago, Indiana, USA - MAR 5, 2005
Tastes like anyone’s homebrew. Too hoppy. i guess I’m not worthy. I’m grateful.

braudimusprime (75) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 4, 2005
Pours a gorgeous dark red, fruity aroma with HUGE hoppy flavors--yet it never becomes unbalanced. For anyone who likes a beer that bites back, this is a brilliant choice.

madcow75 (426) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 3, 2005
Dark red/brown in color. Aroma is of mostly hops and some malt. You can definitely tastes the hops but is balanced well with malt. Overall a good beer.

green (186) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 27, 2005
Fridge Temp. Strong spicy hops aroma. Luminous blood red in and English pint with a tan head that laces well and mostly diminishes. Flavors are huge, supperhoppy, resinous and complex with a unique, massive spicy mutant cinnamon like flavor dominating. Finishes with pronounced bitterness but a nice almost port-like aftertaste. A fun, spectacular beer.

GrainBeltGuzzler (249) - Goodhue, Minnesota, USA - FEB 27, 2005
Overall pretty solid beer, Looks absolutely beautiful, nice dark reddish brown color with a tannish head, smells tastes strongly of hops, still plenty of roasted malt flavor too, not my particular cup of tea, (tasted very West Coast to me) but I can taste and acknowledge this is a solid beer Thank you Probiere

ivan9856 (192) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - FEB 24, 2005
The 22 oz. bottle pours brilliant deep red copper in color with a giant tan head; good lacing. Bountiful hops dominate the aroma, but I also spotted some caramel malt. The initial palate is malty sweet (and more so as the ale warms). There is a powerful, unsubtle hop finish with slight alcohol warming and a super long-lasting aftertaste.

JonMoore (2067) - Loughborough, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - FEB 24, 2005
Tap at the Yardhouse, Long Beach. Dark amber colour, with quickly gone white head. Hoppy aroma. Hoppy and malty taste. Full bodied with very noticable alcohol. Not bad, but I was expecting better.