overall
RATINGS: 3973   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

Duster72 (117) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - MAR 19, 2007
Poured out of a 22 oz bomber around 40 degrees a nice dark ruby red bordering on brown. Smell was very hoppy. This beer should not be consumed under 50 degrees. At low temperatures this one was super aggressive with too much bitter up front. As it warms the beer gets more balanced and the malts play off the hops. At first I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to drink it. By the end of the second glass, I was left wanting more.

paul9639 (116) - New Hampshire, USA - APR 4, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2006 This beer has every right to be arrogant. From its beautiful amber color to the bitter, bite that never ends, this beer is great. The flavor comes out at a warmer temp, so enjoy cool, not cold.

leninthedesert (116) - Nevada, USA - JAN 23, 2008
Man, with a name like Arrogant Bastard, you want to hate this one, but its absolutely impossible. This has got to be one of the best ale’s made in the continental US. Just like the boiler-plate states, it is aggressive...hoppy aroma to a hoppy initial bite. Beautiful amber-coppery/red and clear. Lingering floral hop palate develops into rich malt undertones. Finishes bitter and strong - leaving you thirsting for another draw...

Dastrn (115) - Warsaw, Indiana, USA - AUG 23, 2008
Pours a cloudy brown with a slight tan head. Smell was a pleasant mix of hops, malt, lime, and caramel. Tastes a little malty, with hints of citrus and smoky chocolate. The hops are present and pleasant on the tongue. The mouthfeel was smooth for a strong ale, which brought out the hops. The carbonation was minimal. I’m a very satisfied customer, and will return to Dilly Deli in Cincinatti for more!

thekmoonlegend (115) - Lynn, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 1, 2009
Amber-brown color with offwhite head. Medium-bodied, malty aroma. Spicy taste with malts, finishes strong. My first beer from Stone, and it definitely won’t be my last.

Aggy360 (115) - Anchorage/ Vista,CA, Alaska, USA - SEP 5, 2009
My 100th rating had to be this great brew. I’ve had this many times but now is the time to rate it. The pour is a dark reddish copper with a great tan head, with nice lace. The aroma is a beautiful caramel malt blended with just the right amount of piney hops. The taste is out-of-this-world fantastic. There is a great balance of rich malt flavor blended with the citrus/piney hops. There is pleanty of malt base with caramel, crystal, and toffee characters to hold up to the bitterness of the hops used. A smooth creamy full bodied beer. I am proud to say I am one of the "few" to love this beer.

darbish (115) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 17, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2007 The label says it all. You probably won’t like this beer if you like megabrews. Quite possibly my favorite beer and the first Stone I’ve tried. I believe Stone’s tagline of "Hated by Many, Loved by Few". I’m fairly certain that with this beer you either love it or you loathe it. Blacker than the blackest black time infinity with a thin head, and with an almost overpowering hoppy flavor if you aren’t expecting it. Bravo.

bbooth (115) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - MAY 13, 2002
Dark Amber color. Off white head. Sweet slightly fruity nose. sweet start, medium-full body, complex bitter finish. Hmm....warm tummy.

deprogram (115) - Renton, Washington, USA - APR 13, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2003 22 oz Draft My first experience (a long time ago, it seems) with the Stone Brewing Company, the striking packaging of this beer drew me in, and many bottles, pitchers, and glasses later its still just as strong, biting, and assertive. Excellent deep color, good head, wonderful depth of flavor, potent and hoppy. A fine beer from a remarkable brewery.

drawde (115) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 23, 2008
I don’t remember this one being so dark. Typically, I drink it in an ill-lit bar, and in those instances my impression has always been that it’s sort of a well-balanced double pale ale. Now I see that this puppy is pretty dark and malty. The hops are still there, and it’s far from an extreme brown ale, but it’s tough to categorize the real balance of it between malt and hop. Anyway its very bold, a bit syrupy, and powerful!