overall
RATINGS: 3985   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

Oakes (18794) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 23, 2000
UPDATED: APR 30, 2003 The best I've ever had brought some wonderful citrusy, leafy hops overtop of the crystal malt. This trend carried through the earthy body. If it's not so fresh, and doesn't have a fresh, rich hop aroma, it gets dominated by that malt and is not nearly as impressive nor enjoyable.

CrumpyC99 (15) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - OCT 11, 2001
I really don't see what's so special about this beer, It's very good, the bottle is an excellent read, but I swear the taste is not very unique. I swear I've had a half dozen other beers that taste very similar.

MrRain00 (37) - Columbus, Indiana, USA - DEC 25, 2001
Despite the label, I wasn't ready for the taste. It's really quite good once you've grown accustomed to the aggressive flavour. I really enjoyed this beer, even if my wife said it was the worst piss she'd ever had!

bb (9789) - Alamo, California, USA - JAN 16, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 8, 2006 Bottle. If you’re a hophead, this is the one. It’s not over the top as some beers can be and tries to find some balance with the malt, but its the hops that’ll keep you coming back. This is one of a few beers I miss while living in the UK. Rich dark reddish brown/amber color with a big off-white head. Rich flavor and body. Caramel backing. Grapefruit and tar

bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - MAR 1, 2002
Great artwork and text on the bottle! The back is hilarious. Inventive taste, a must try. I couldn't drink it every day.

AxeMaster221 (342) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 10, 2002
Poured a beautiful dark amber with a full off white head. Hoppy / licorice aroma was very nice. A very complicated palate of flavors that became very smooth as the beer warmed. Be warned, even a 22 oz. of this really packs a punch. Probably not an every day beer for me, but definately worth a try.

MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - MAY 18, 2002
Nice and hoppy and malty just the way I like it. As others have stated, I thought it would be a little harder to handle, but nevertheless a great beer.

Wiseblood (700) - Clarksville, Tennessee, USA - JUN 16, 2002
Wonderful deep red color and a full head demands your attention from the very start. Very well hopped with a somewhat distracting pineapple/fruit aroma. Strong full bodied flavor that asserts this beer's character. Well made overall, with a good balance of hops and malt. A great brew not to be missed.

Drinkingdan (375) - East Norriton, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 18, 2002
Very hoppy, great deep color, and very complex. This is a must try if you haven't yet.

Merc (313) - Pullman, Washington, USA - JUN 28, 2002
Arrogant with good reason. Gives ya something to think about. Definately not something I could drink every day but an interesting experience.