overall
RATINGS: 706   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.94/5   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
A robust Porter made with chocolate malt. This malt Beverage is brewed with coffee beans with Natural Flavor added (Vanilla Extract), and we balance it with U.S. Golding Hops. Our award winning brew is sure to please! Open it!

Elwood (3347) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - MAR 17, 2009
12 oz. bottle. Pours a murky dark brown with a very small off white head. The head dissipates quickly leaving no lacing per se. Heavy vanilla and coffee notes in the nose give me hope. Mild carbonation with a somewhat astringent quality. It has a certain sourness that doesn’t seem to pair well at all. Sweet with a very little bitterness. Dry. I don’t get the coffee on the palate nearly as much as I did in the nose. Lighter in body and finishes fairly clean. As I was finishing this one, the flavors merged into a definite BBQ flavor. Very weird. It definitely didn’t put it’s namesake to very good use.

Zinister (1423) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAR 15, 2009
Tasted at GABF 2008. Dark, black pour with tan head. Nose of vanilla and roasted malts. Flavor is the same, but a bit sour...which I didn’t mind.

njbfr (113) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 14, 2009
Dark, almost black with a decent tan head. Aroma is vanilla and kind of a band-aid smell. Tastes more like a bad oatmeal stout than anything. Vanilla and roasted malt are discernible while there is a very weird sour taste throughout. Not very good for what I was expecting.

0.8
Brewbie (497) - New York, USA - MAR 13, 2009
12oz bottle. dark black, thin brown long lasting head. aroma is an unpleasant sourness. the taste follows. there has to be something wrong with my bottle. just undrinkable.

thegreenrooster (4558) - St.louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 5, 2009
Pour is a dark black with a small tan head. Aroma is decent enought with some roasted malts with a bit of coffee in there. Flavor is some coffee but then the sourness hits you. Why is every beer from the brewer so sour? Nothing to look for here. Hands down the worst craft brewery in America.

beerbuzzmontreal (3486) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 4, 2009
The pour reveals a black color with brown highlights and a thin beige head. The aroma has a strong presence of vanilla beans and sweetness. Flavor of vanilla, lots of vanilla, way too much vanilla.... The body is medium with a creamy texture and gentle carbonation. Not good at all.

1.4
Dickinsonbeer (5073) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - MAR 1, 2009
12 oz bottle. Ugh. Just terrible all around. Pours a deep brown with amber highlights and a cola- like sptrizy head to nothing,. Aroma is lactic sour and harsh bittersweet chocolate and light diacetyl- vanilla is harsh and dirty. Thin isipid chocolate with lots of lactic sourness and just harsh and crackery raw with light toast and acrid burnt malts. Thin and acidic finish. Gross.

CanIHave4Beers (4224) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - FEB 23, 2009
Reading the other reviews here I think I might have gotten an off bottle. But I’ll rate it like I see it. Olives. Olives in the smell and Olives in the flavor, green olives sans pimento. With some mild coffee and vanilla flavors, and some pronounced roastyness, but mainly olives. This is absolutely ridiculous.

skibumphishead (259) - Massachusetts, USA - FEB 22, 2009
12oz bottle into my d’addario pint glass. The vanilla and coffee flavors are so strong that I have vanilla beans and coffee grounds stuck in my teeth. I like it, but I understand why others do not. It has a thin mouthfeel and the vanilla and java flavors are the only flavs present.

MrRain (542) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 22, 2009
12oz bottel poured into a tumbler. AVJP pours very dark brown with a quickly settling head. it smells like coffee and vanilla. The vanilla is pretty over-the-top and the coffee tastes more like grounds than beans or the drink itself. This is a perfectly fine beer to drink in a hotel in a strange city (like I’m doing now) but it isn’t something I’d want to have around the house on a regular basis.