overall

RATINGS: 569   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 230   ABV: 7.68%
15 years of brewing! You know what’s been the best part lately? Tons of experimentation! For the last couple of years, we’ve been working with several strains of brettanomyces (wild yeast). We found one and deemed it the best for it’s tart flavor and funky, fruity aroma. Adding black mission figs for a subtle jammy aspect, hibiscus flowers for an herbal bouquet and hazy sunset hue, and white pepper for a bit of spicy twang, we’ve created FIFTEEN - a unique drinking experience inspired by the wild farmhouse ales of Belgium. Though immensely complex today, more flavor will emerge with time, so throw a few bottles in your cellar for future celebrations. Thanks to all of you who have made our 15-year ride possible! Peace to all and follow your dreams! Brewed with Rocky Mountain water, malted barley, malted wheat, hops, black mission figs, hibiscus flowers, white pepper, and a very unique strain of brettanomyces yeast.

burica2020's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
burica2020 (22) - Tinley Park, Illinois, USA - JAN 6, 2010
Slight spice and citrus aroma. Light amber color with a little white head. Good taste of fruit and honey, but dry/alcohol tasting finish.

Bill Becker (1916) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - NOV 22, 2017
From May 2008

I got this bottle in a trade with russpowell. Thanks Russ!

It pours from foil wrapped 22oz bottle a clear and very bubbly straw gold with a 1 finger head of foam. Head retention is only average because halfway through, it's almost gone but there was some nice lacing early in the session.

Smell wise, the funk is certainly there in spades, actually I can't smell anything else but that in itself is very inviting.

The taste is strange. Yes, I get a lot of that good funk and I'm down with, but there's also a lemon zest thing going on that I don't think adds much to the overall flavour except in the finish and reading this is a wild ale, where's the sour? I *love* sour and I'm disappointed that it's not there and that I'm only getting the Brett(very good thing), some lemon, a bit of honey, and some decent peppery notes.

The mouthfeel is lightish and right for the style, the carbonation is medium light which works well for sure, and it finishes with a lemon tartness and some more funk and that also works well. I guess the only thing I really have to bitch about is the lack of sour notes. Oh well, it's still pretty tasty and quite drinkable for me and if I can say that I like it, which I do, that's all that counts. Would I seek it out again. Yep.

zoucrew102 (2164) - - DEC 27, 2015
Bomber. Floral aroma with notes of peppery spice, fruit and some Brett funk. Pours clear golden colored with a thin white head with good retention and lacing. Starts with fruity flavors as well as floral notes. Finishes smooth peppery spice and some, but not a lot of, Brett funk sourness. Pretty good sour that held up well for 8+ years.

SpringsLicker (3682) - Tennessee, USA - SEP 23, 2015
From my cellar
Clear gold with a generous fine white head.
The aroma is flowery, spicy, light pepper.
The flavor is light and fruity, I don’t pick up any Brett. Lightly sweet.
Not too bad after all these years.

DCLawyer (2920) - Falls Church, Virginia, USA - JUL 26, 2015
Backlog from notes. 2008 (6 years old) bottle pour at Churchkey. Gold with small white head. Flora, herbs, citrus, lite funk. Mild, and just OK.

alexsdad06 (10984) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - JUL 18, 2015
22oz bottle from old notes. Pours a slightly hazy golden amber color with a medium sized white head. The aroma is has oranges, coriander, some barnyard funk and mild tartness. The flavor is fruity, tart, some Brett funk with orange peel, floral hibiscus, mild spice and peaches, dry finish, something just didn’t completely work for me.

GenDV138 (7764) - Falls Church, Virginia, USA - DEC 24, 2014
22 oz bottle at ChurchKey shared by and courtesy of Travlr, thanks Gene! Clear yellow with off-white head. Aromas of big herbal notes, oak, light vitamins. Tastes of oak, funk, vitamin, citrus, lemon peel, herbs. Medium body with a dry finish. Maybe a bit oxidized but seems to have aged pretty well since 2008.

solidfunk (9446) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - DEC 18, 2014
I think this may have lost a little of its punch after six years of aging. Mostly just tastes floral, with only a faint hint of bretta. Golden pour with ok head and lacing. Light sweet finish with a bit of tang. Bottle pour at Churchkey.

slowrunner77 (13006) - Reno, Nevada, USA - OCT 14, 2014
"something funky this was comes!!! I’d been "warned" so it came as no surprise. Poured a hazy golden in color with a frothy off white head. the aroma was initially incredibly appealing...too much going on to list, but you could definitely smell the brett and the figs, and it had the sour apple/cider aspects that i was half expecting. it lost a little of it’s appeal as it warmed, but to me the aroma was this beer’s forte. the flavor and mouthfeel go hand in hand as the lightness of the beer coupled with the drastic complexities of the flavor was just a little off putting. lots of funky yeast and light fruit characteristics. We were alll hoping for a little more feel to it for a nearly 8% beer. The figs were nice on the palate as well, as was the white pepper. Not something i’d drink often, but a tasty, unique brew for sure."

Prufrockstar (2259) - Moscow, Idaho, USA - OCT 11, 2014
Bottle at Brouwer’s, thanks to Beastie. Word on the street (which is reflected in the ratings) is that this was gross when released, but for whatever reason beastie suggested it and I’m glad he did. Pale pour; delicious tropical brett aroma -- no blubber or vomit of any kind (though OldMrCrow’s rating made me laugh out loud). This beer has grown up! Light, pleasant, vaguely funky. Some fruit, reasonably dry; tropical goodness. This is surprising, unheralded, and nice.

Salmoniform (1281) - Sweet Home, Oregon, USA - SEP 8, 2014
Poured from bottle to glass. Hazy golden hue with fizzy white head. Aroma is straw, earthy, funk, barnyard, peppercorn. Mouthfeel is nice with a medium light body and zesty carbonation. Taste is dry throughout with a peppery finish. Overall this is a really nice brew.