Avery Barrel-Aged Series 1 - Brabant

overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 409   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 260   ABV: 8.65%
Brabant is a 8.65% abv dark unfiltered beer, fermented entirely with Brettanomyces and aged in Zinfandel barrels for nine months. 694 cases produced.

dionysus (1486) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 7, 2010
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2012 I’m pretty sure this is only my second 5 but it was definately deserving. Bottle pours deep brown with a thin khaki head. On first smell I fell in love. Aroma is juicy, sour and funky...... just the way I like it. I’m not even going to attempt to describe this now because it won’t even do it justice having only tasted 1 bottle. There is sooooo much depth that I found something new in every sip and smell. I only picked one of these up by chance, but now I’m going back to wipe out the rest of them. I’m slowly becoming an Avery fan.

rubbishystuff (2537) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 1, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2015 The missus, mother-in-law and I all loved this. The sour tartness and sweetness balanced each other very well. You can taste the wine and oak. You can also taste the mighty deliciousness. Well done Avery. Serving: Bottle

Ratman197 (15624) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - FEB 18, 2009
Bottle poured a clear dark brown with a small lingering tan head. Aromas of horseblanket, leather, tobacco, toffee, cherry, vanilla and multiple layers of funk. Palate was light bodied and crisp with a lightly tart finish. Flavors of toffee, cherry, horseblanket, leather, light vanilla, oak, some light vinous notes and multiple layers of tasty funk with a crisp tart funky fruity finish.

MeisterBrew (138) - Cheyenne, Wyoming, USA - MAR 15, 2009
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2009 Bottle. Pours a dark brown with a small tan head... looks like a cola. Aroma is very wine-like. Oaky and sweet. Taste was very unique. Started out sweet, vanilla maybe? Finish was very fruity and white wine flavored. I loved this one! Probably couldn’t do more than one in a sitting, but I am very impressed with this beer. UPDATED 6/09/09: Even better! The sour flavor is much more pronounced. The strong wine flavor has subsided some but it is still quite noticeable. Great, great beer from Avery.

checkmatei1 (783) - Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 19, 2009
Draft @ Monk’s: Part of the Brett Pack dinner during PBW. This one poured a deep dark red, like wine. The aroma was oak, cherry, sour, and funk. The flavor was smooth, dry oak, sour cherries, acetic acid, and funk. Overall, another A+ beer I’d love to find more of.

CanIHave4Beers (4241) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - MAY 29, 2009
The first time I picked up a bottle of "The Reverend" started in me a pure skepticism of Avery Brewing that never really went away. Something about the marketing mixed with something about the beer made me think that these jokers were up to no good. I’ve got a better head on my shoulders these days, and I’ve given the old boys at Avery another go, I’ve liked a lot of their beers but I’ve never considered anything that they have made to be truly exceptional, till now. The beer pours a deep brownish red with an enormous tan head. I basically can’t imagine a beer looking a whole lot better than this one does in a tulip glass. The aroma is wonderful, very oaky very wine like with plenty of barnyard aromas but predominantly you can smell the Zinfandel on this one very strongly. The flavor is complex and very challenging which at this point in the game is one of the most refreshing things about a good beer. The first impression of the beer is that it is very alcoholic and a little bit too boozy, but as it rests on the tongue it settles down a bit on the alcohol to present the most dominant flavor which is leathery and corky, very vinous and reminiscent of a deep red wine. It isn’t till you get past the wine that the funk shows it’s self, but once it’s there it is the most delightful thing about the beer, the beer is very dry and tart with a funkiness that plays well against the red wine canvas. This makes me want to drink some funky wine. This is a truly exceptional beer.